Gel polish on a smoker?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirstyhow

Reaction score
I've been asked to do someone nails for their Christmas party, and I have attached a picture of the design she wants. However she said she's a smoker and usually has darker colours on her smoking fingers. What would you recommend I do so that I can still achieve a look like the one attached. She said she likes the colours in the picture as well..

I will be using Artistic Colour Gloss. Also what the best technique you find for creating the gradient glitter effect?

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• gradient glitter.jpg
    gradient glitter.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 182
I'm a smoker, and there is one finger that always slightly yellows when I wear pale colours, however it is usually only the topcoat that is affected.
What I would personally do, and have done for my own clients, is retail her a buffer block and a polish topcoat. That way she gets the design she likes, and on the few fingers that yellow, she can buff over the nail lightly to remove the staining, and apply the polish topcoat to bring the shine back.

As for the glitter, I would pat it as a fade onto the inhibition layer of the cured colour coat, and then topcoat twice x

Tell her to quit?

I'm a smoker, and there is one finger that always slightly yellows when I wear pale colours, however it is usually only the topcoat that is affected.
What I would personally do, and have done for my own clients, is retail her a buffer block and a polish topcoat. That way she gets the design she likes, and on the few fingers that yellow, she can buff over the nail lightly to remove the staining, and apply the polish topcoat to bring the shine back.

As for the glitter, I would pat it as a fade onto the inhibition layer of the cured colour coat, and then topcoat twice x

Thank you for your reply, how bad is the staining usually? And would you still be able to see it if you used a grey colour? Instead of a sheer pink?

Also I presume you would use a loose glitter?

Thank you for your reply, how bad is the staining usually? And would you still be able to see it if you used a grey colour? Instead of a sheer pink?

Also I presume you would use a loose glitter?

Yes loose glitter.

I think it is a personal thing, depending on what you smoke and how many lol. But I'm still a 20-a-day girl [emoji85] and I only ever notice a slight yellow tinge on white or pale pink. But then I do change my colour far too often maybe to see any different. I'm no help [emoji4]

I would use your own judgement and common sense to give the client what she wants, because ultimately any ill effect is going to be her fault, not yours x

Thanks for your help :) x

Cigarette stains vary person to person, depending on how heavy they smoke, straights or roll ups and how they hold their cig.

I stain badly! When I switch to roll ups on occasion it's even worse and can happen fast! It's how I hold them. I avoid light colours for the same reason and seeing as your client has mentioned it, I'd assume the staining is pretty bad with her. It's visible with all pale colours, but only the palest look really bad, a light grey might change colour ever so slightly, but won't be terrible. White only stays looking good for a day lol. Try Fee's suggestion. X

Thank you for your reply. I did Fee's suggestion and explained about retailing her a top coat and buffer, and I also gave her the option of changing the colours she wanted so that the staining would be less obvious. She straight away replied saying she would have a red with silver/white glitter, so problem solved haha :) x

Thank you this really did help me, I'm in New consultant with color Street and my nails keep turning yellow on the one finger. I seen someone say just quit well it's easier said than done LOL. I advise also you know the extra top coats that way you can buff it off and redo it to renew the shine!

Latest posts

Back