Gel polish over tips-what are your thoughts?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lousil

Reaction score
Good Morning Geeks,

I am now working from home as I have got my own place and so fa I am doing well building my client base.

All my clients seem happy and always return to me but any time I do my Mothers nails as extensions she complains that they are too thick,,,,

she then seen a tech in our local tanning salon put tips on and then just gel polish straight about. (she knows this because she was able to watch the full process and seen the tech stick on tip and then use a Artistic colour gloss polish over the top)

and she thinks I should be offerin this as it looks much more natural....

Does anyone else do tips with just gel polish over the top?

Also which gel polish brand do you use? i'm currently using Gellux but the colours are limited.

Isn't that technique just for weekend nails? For people who can't wear extensions for work but want them for an event xx

I've done it before on myself, but the length of the tip was just barely over my fingertip. I knew they weren't very strong so I limited myself with them. I wouldn't recommend it for more than a couple days because there is not enough strength there to hold the tip on. If someone is ruff on their nails, they will break off probably within that day.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SalonGeek

Gel polish is really not strong enough to go over tips as an enhancement product is.

You can do it (I do it on myself using Shellac if I break a nail) but you sure could not guarantee that it would last for a client. Length mus be kept quite short for a tip to last with a gel polish on the top.

If you want to guarantee thin and strong then Brisa Lite smoothing gel provides that for the client without a tip or Brisa Lite Sculpting gel with or without a tip..

I use artistic colour gloss gel polish and I wouldnt have said it was strong enough on its own over tips. ACG have a building gel and have often wondered if that would work to strengthen a tip, any ACG geeks know if that would help? x

It can be done yes but gel polish alone was not designed to offer the strength of an enhancement product.
The service your mum is telling you about is not one for people who want nails to last more than a day or 2 at the most and as already mentioned, it's similar to the "weekend nails" craze.
It's not something I would push or suggest to clients unless I know they only want 24hr nails.
Your mum can't always have her cake and eat it to:) if she wants long enhancements, they have to be built with an apex to give the strength she needs to keep them on for more than a day.
If she has a look at her own natural nails, she will see the natural apex in her nails, even our natural nails have this apex which gives strength, it's just the way it is:) and the way it has to be with enhancements:)

Latest posts

Back