Gel polish qualification query

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donnadee

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a little unsure.. If I have done my gel polish course and have a verfied certificate can I advertise to the public (once insured) or do I need other qualifications such as manicure? tia

Was manicure covered as part of your course?

You are best to get in touch with insurance companies and ask them just to be in the safe side

No I was on a level 2 course where I learnt manicure but I never managed to finish it due to lack of people to practice on.. and being put under pressure to have assesments . Am I right in thinking I need to complete a Mani course to be able to advertise gel polish?

Agree with above advice, best to check with an insurer. Some gel polish courses ive seen ask for manicure cert. before or include it in gel polish training, so it may be expected that you have it. Just give them a call to verify.

Gel polish involves a dry manicure as part of the prep. A manicure involves wet cuticle work, massage, exfoliation etc.

If you are only doing dry cuticle prep followed by a gel polish then you are good to go if you hold that certificate. If you are offering a full mani then you will need to complete your qualification in that first.

I'm assuming you did the level 2 where gel polish was a standalone unit and separately certificated.

Gel polish involves a dry manicure as part of the prep. A manicure involves wet cuticle work, massage, exfoliation etc.

If you are only doing dry cuticle prep followed by a gel polish then you are good to go if you hold that certificate. If you are offering a full mani then you will need to complete your qualification in that first.

I'm assuming you did the level 2 where gel polish was a standalone unit and separately certificated.

Thank you that makes sense. Yes I completed my gel polish course as an add on which is a separate course I had to pay for . Knowing this makes me feel better and that I could make something from my gel polish qualification.,and that it wasn't a total waste of money

It’s a shame you weren’t helped to complete your full course. It’s quite expensive. Pretty awful student support from your training provider.

It’s a shame you weren’t helped to complete your full course. It’s quite expensive. Pretty awful student support from your training provider.

Yes, once I'd paid my instalments the support slowly subsided and there was no understanding.. it's been a dream of mine since my teens and spent money I inherited too. I may try again once both children are at school. But it's good to know my gel polish certificate isn't wasted if I wanted to go down that route. I know not all people have enchantments and gel on natural nails is popular. . I have built up quite a kit. I have about 30 polishes to use all on myself

Screenshot_20190113-094751.jpg

Perhaps you should contact the awarding body. They would probably want to know if they are legitimising a sub standard training provider. You might get the chance of re taking your units with someone else.

Yes, once I'd paid my instalments the support slowly subsided and there was no understanding.. it's been a dream of mine since my teens and spent money I inherited too. I may try again once both children are at school. But it's good to know my gel polish certificate isn't wasted if I wanted to go down that route. I know not all people have enchantments and gel on natural nails is popular. . I have built up quite a kit. I have about 30 polishes to use all on myself

It depends upon your clientele.

I mainly do nail extensions with nail art because that’s what I show on social media.

I’ve stopped offering polish as I think I’ve been asked 2 or 3 times in over 3 years for it.

You could have a successful business offering only gel polish if that’s what you wanted.

I know people offer different things and if I'm only offerings gel polish I might draw in the right clientele . Might be worth a try once my boy starts school in September. Thanks for you input x

Latest posts

Back