Gel polish qualification

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lisa32

Reaction score
hi all,

I'm almost at the end of my level 2 beauty and have covered Mani/pedicure. I know how to do gel polish and have been doing it successfully for family/friends last few years, it was a beauty therapist friend who taught me the skills of how to apply/remove, etc. I have the ink London kit and I plan on doing a course with them as soon as they release details but would I need to do this course before I can get insured to carry out gel polish on the public or is my Mani/pedicure enough for the time being. I really want to hold out and do my training with ink.
Xx

I think that manicure cert is enough but I could be totally wrong! I'm the same as you with waiting for inks training :)

I contacted them and they said as long as I have a manicure certificate then that will cover me on my insurance. My insurance is with the Guild x

Thanks both :-D xx

You can get insurance and trade accounts with just a mani/ pedi certificate. You can then send your insurance company copies of addition qualifications once you've got them.

Ring your insurance provider! No one on here can tell you whether you will be covered or not. Ink can say whatever they like, but it's your insurance provider who is actually covering you. They're all different, mine wouldn't cover me to do gel polish with just my manicure certificate as the products and chemical structure are very different. They will insure me for IBX without a separate certificate, because they have agreed the application is similar enough to what I already trained in. You can buy most things with just a basic certificate, doesn't mean you're covered to use them on paying clients though! Don't just read your policy, call them. I have full insurance so I'm covered for pretty much everything, but it only actually counts if I'm trained in it. For example, my policy lists waxing, but as I'm not trained I'm only covered if I was to do a course. I had to get full coverage because I also do LVL, but I'm not trained in the majority of things actually listed on the policy. Does that make sense?

People keep asking these kinds of questions and really the only answer should be ASK YOUR INSURANCE PROVIDER. Don't second guess, don't ask the distributer and don't ask us. The only people that matter in these instances are the insurance companies. Lawsuits can be very expensive and saying "ink london/the ladies of salon geek told me I'd be ok" won't be of any use to you in a legal situation. Xx

Ring your insurance provider! No one on here can tell you whether you will be covered or not. Ink can say whatever they like, but it's your insurance provider who is actually covering you. They're all different, mine wouldn't cover me to do gel polish with just my manicure certificate as the products and chemical structure are very different. They will insure me for IBX without a separate certificate, because they have agreed the application is similar enough to what I already trained in. You can buy most things with just a basic certificate, doesn't mean you're covered to use them on paying clients though! Don't just read your policy, call them. I have full insurance so I'm covered for pretty much everything, but it only actually counts if I'm trained in it. For example, my policy lists waxing, but as I'm not trained I'm only covered if I was to do a course. I had to get full coverage because I also do LVL, but I'm not trained in the majority of things actually listed on the policy. Does that make sense?

People keep asking these kinds of questions and really the only answer should be ASK YOUR INSURANCE PROVIDER. Don't second guess, don't ask the distributer and don't ask us. The only people that matter in these instances are the insurance companies. Lawsuits can be very expensive and saying "ink london/the ladies of salon geek told me I'd be ok" won't be of any use to you in a legal situation. Xx

Of course I would check with my insurers before doing any treatment on the public, I was just asking for a general idea and it often leads to other useful advice, I never take anyone's word as gospel on here. I'll think more about the questions I ask on here in future. Xx

Hi I'm having a similar problem. Been a qualified nail tec and beauty therapist for years working in salons. Just decided to go mobile and realised I have never done a certificate in uv gel colour. I'm vtct qualified in uv gel extentions . I'm trying to find an insurance provider that will cover me for uv colour gel so I don't have to do a certificate.....can't find one so far!!!

Of course I would check with my insurers before doing any treatment on the public, I was just asking for a general idea and it often leads to other useful advice, I never take anyone's word as gospel on here. I'll think more about the questions I ask on here in future. Xx

would I need to do this course before I can get insured to carry out gel polish on the public or is my Mani/pedicure enough for the time being.

This was your original question. I wasn't being mean or snarky hun, it's just this question comes up probably 3 times a week and people keep on answering it, which they really shouldn't be! Not one person told you to call an insurance company to ask, which is quite worrisome and sadly seems to be the norm. Yes you can buy the products, but it doesn't mean you're insured to use them! I've seen so many threads where the poster has been like "yay brilliant, Salon Geek says I don't need a course and I'll be fine" *head-desk*, it drives me nuts! It's very often a case of people hearing what they want to hear. Not meaning you, it just happens all the time.

As @Bohemianivy has discovered, despite being qualified in gel enhancements, most people still won't insure her for gel polish without a certificate (I assume that's what you mean by uv colour gel - apologies if you were referring to hard gel). If that's the case, I assume with just a mani certificate it would be even harder!

If you just need a certificate for insurance and don't want to wait, Sally's has a Gellux course which is fully accredited with no prerequisites or kit required for £65 plus vat http://www.salon-services.com/gellux-gel-polish-training-course/ You've both stated you are confident in your application anyway, so although SS training has a poor rep, I'm sure it would cover what you need to know, lots of other companies run similar things too. The majority of insurers will allow you to use a different brand as long as the application is the same, though obviously ring and check, but ink don't do training yet and everyone is insured still ;) Ring up some insurance companies tomorrow and ask them "if I do a Gellux gel polish course with Salon Services, would this cover me to use other brands of gel polish, ink london for example?"

Good luck ladies! xx

I could buy gel polish/shellac as I had a mani/pedi qualification but found I couldn't get insured to offer the service.
I contacted several insurers and all said that you are only insured for the exact wording on your certificates. The exception being gel polish/shellac being the same thing.

Latest posts

Back