Gel polish recommendations, any advice appreciated

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nancy, do you have any association with any of these other brands?

Its easy to say that other brands are quality, but I have very good reasons to believe the opposite. I've done the actual leg work of looking into these brands. You have to dig deeper if you want a better understanding.

But if I had to recommend another brand, it would be OPI and Light Elegance. Both of these brands have good research and development and are promising brands.

I don't want people to think im just bashing other brands and have no respect for it, but it is what it is. These other brands pose a risk for the industry based on my research. Many of them aren't properly made.

One of these days, I might put together a proper comparison thread, to prove all of this, but it would take a ton of work. I would actually have to fly all the way to california and gather up all evidence from scientific machines and stuff like that. Very costly and time consuming. So for now, readers will just have to take my word and use common sense.
I worked for a university for many years on grants for supporting and improving immigrant businesses. One of the largest immigrant businesses in my area are nail salons which are dominated by Vietnamese immigrants. My area of expertise was the nail industry because I was a tech back in the day. I have no association with any brand (my university affiliation would make that inappropriate), and I have had to develop knowledge across brands in order to be helpful to these businesses.

Please be clear. I am not writing this to convince you. In your various incarnations in this forum you have shown a determined resistance to facts. In fact, you have provided no factual dispute to what I have posted here. We have repeatedly asked you to provide evidence of your research and investigations and you have declined to do so. You offer no proof of any of your overblown statements. You have not provided your "good reasons." That provides little reason to "take [your] word." I respond to your posts because new techs and techs that aspire to improve should not be misled by you. It troubles me deeply that you so consistently post erroneous information. It damages us as individuals and as a profession.

Last edited:
I worked for a university for many years on grants for supporting and improving immigrant businesses. One of the largest immigrant businesses in my area are nail salons which are dominated by Vietnamese immigrants. My area of expertise was the nail industry because I was a tech back in the day. I have no association with any brand (my university affiliation would make that inappropriate), and I have had to develop knowledge across brands in order to be helpful to these businesses.

Please be clear. I am not writing this to convince you. In your various incarnations in this forum you have shown a resistance to facts. In fact, you have provided no factual dispute to what I have posted here. We have repeatedly asked you to provide evidence of your research and investigations and you have declined to do so. You offer no proof of any of your overblown statements. You have not provided your "good reasons." That provides little reason to "take [your] word." I respond to your posts because new techs and techs that aspire to improve should not be misled by you. It troubles me deeply that you so consistently post erroneous information. It damages us as individuals and as a profession.

The needs that I listed are based on facts:

-doesn't burn.
-cures all the way.
-easy to remove.
-lessens the chance of allergies.

That cannot be disputed.

How well a brand does these things, can indeed be argued. Based on my own research and findings, I've found CND to hit all of the markers.

I cannot prove that these other brands are lesser quality, but I have good reasons to believe so. Techs arn't going to stop doing nails until I prove without a doubt that one brand is better than another.

My brand recommendation isn't "fact" like you said. Its just a recommendation based on
my understanding, and I have a very good understanding of how products come into existence.

Last edited:
Hello, I recently completed a gel polish course. Please can anyone advise on a good quality gel brand and compatible lamp (hoping to go mobile - part time). I’m not able to purchase a huge selection, but will pay for quality. Totally overwhelmed with the number of brands out there.
Bluesky are a very reliable, high quality brand. I’ve been using them for years. Be sure to buy a lamp that has a dual function i.e. cures both LED and UV, then you don’t have to keep checking every single product to make sure your lamp is able to cure it. Thin layers with Bluesky, though some colours (mainly darker) like navy blue, black and some reds you can get away with one coat! I always do two for buffing purposes, especially when working with chrome finishes (powders), nail jewellery and nail art. Their colours tend to turn out a shade darker when layering the product, so just bear that in mind to save your money having to buy twice to get a lighter shade that’s closer to what you’d wanted originally.
I found Flexy and UR sugar not apply well or cure properly.
Canni are a good brand but, I wouldn’t get too attached - the company has stopped production. Base One Formula builder gels are excellent. I’ve seen the odd negative review but, I’ve never experienced any issues with them and the reviews seemed to be from customers who weren’t nail techs and didn’t cure the product and/or recognise the tackiness is the inhibition is normal.

if you need any suggestions for acrylic products, let me know – I have a large range for different purposes.

Hello, I recently completed a gel polish course. Please can anyone advise on a good quality gel brand and compatible lamp (hoping to go mobile - part time). I’m not able to purchase a huge selection, but will pay for quality. Totally overwhelmed with the number of brands out there.

INK London, iKON.IQ and Light Elegance all have their own chemists and are very knowledgeable about their products

Bluesky are a very reliable, high quality brand. I’ve been using them for years. Be sure to buy a lamp that has a dual function i.e. cures both LED and UV, then you don’t have to keep checking every single product to make sure your lamp is able to cure it.

Oh dear. :oops: One lamp will not adequately cure all gels. Please stop repeating this unscientific nonsense as you risk users causing themselves and their clients lifelong allergies from uncured products getting onto their skin.

Bluesky
Flexy and UR sugar
Canni
Base One Formula builder gels

I would also encourage the OP to work with professional brands (these are not considered pro brands), brands that have the R&D, training and education, customer support, and associated products to support professional nail techs, and which subscribe to EU and/or US standards for ingredients.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back