Gel polish removal

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkle18

Reaction score
Hi
I just wondered if anyone could help with this query. I had a client this evening who wanted a gel nail soak off and repolish. She was coming to me as a one off as her regular nail tech was in hospital. The gel was very thickly applied and she had quite long and thin/bendy nails. The polish had been applied well and she has been going to the other lady for a long time. I lightly buffed off the top coat soaked a cotton pad in acetone and placed over the nail and wrapped in foil. This is how I was trained to remove gel. After approx 5 mins she said her little finger nail was hurting - not stinging - hurting like it was bruised or something. I took the foul off and noticed that it looked as if the nail was contracting into the skin either side of her nail. It became really uncomfortable and I had to try and scrape the gel off before it had had long enough to soak properly. As soon as it was off the nail returned to its usual shape (it looked like a very tight 'u' shape). Other nails were starting to do the same but wernt painful for her. I have never seen this happen before or have ever heard about it. I wondered if this has happened to anyone else or if anyone could tell me why it happened. I used normal acetone from salon services and removed in the way I have done a hundred times before. Many thanks in advance

Hi
I just wondered if anyone could help with this query. I had a client this evening who wanted a gel nail soak off and repolish. She was coming to me as a one off as her regular nail tech was in hospital. The gel was very thickly applied and she had quite long and thin/bendy nails. The polish had been applied well and she has been going to the other lady for a long time. I lightly buffed off the top coat soaked a cotton pad in acetone and placed over the nail and wrapped in foil. This is how I was trained to remove gel. After approx 5 mins she said her little finger nail was hurting - not stinging - hurting like it was bruised or something. I took the foul off and noticed that it looked as if the nail was contracting into the skin either side of her nail. It became really uncomfortable and I had to try and scrape the gel off before it had had long enough to soak properly. As soon as it was off the nail returned to its usual shape (it looked like a very tight 'u' shape). Other nails were starting to do the same but wernt painful for her. I have never seen this happen before or have ever heard about it. I wondered if this has happened to anyone else or if anyone could tell me why it happened. I used normal acetone from salon services and removed in the way I have done a hundred times before. Many thanks in advance

This is what Geeg had to say in an old thread:
"It really is not too baffling really. It's all about expansion and contraction. Nails are porous and acetone dehydrates, so if her nails are really thin or in poor condition then it should be no surprise at all that they curl in and then after a short time, relax again. Cant say I've noticed this happening on anyone of my clients, but if it did I would imagine that would be the reason for it.

We've all seen the opposite on nour nice natural nails when it is humid or you've been washing up and your natural c curve goes flat as your nails flare out with excess moisture and heat. Well they curl in when they are dehydrated as well."

It happens to me all the time... It goes back to normal. My nails are thin and bendy when I don't have Shellac on.

Latest posts

Back