Gel polish - which brands do you offer?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blossom

Reaction score
I thought it might be interesting to see who offers just one brand and who offers more than that.

For starters, I ran with just Shellac for about 4 years and then introduced Gellux as I found Shellac wasn't cutting it for really flimsy or thin/damaged nails and Gellux lasts much better on them.

Anyone else do something similar or maybe offers several brands? If so, what were your reasons for diversifying? :) x

Last edited:
I offer CND Shellac, Gelaze and Gelish. IMO there is no silver bullet hence why I offer choice.

I just offer CND Shellac, however I have lost some clients due to the fact it doesn't work for them, or has worked for them and all of a sudden doesn't. I am now considering introducing another but I feel like it would be hard to explain why I have both?

Price, durability (depending on usage) and speed of application are three properties that I have so far discerned that certain client groups go for. I put together this flowchart to sieve through the different clients that opt for different products. For instance, students opt for a cheaper gel and is ok for 14+ days (Gelaze), Gelish is tougher, more durable and is faster to apply with the correct lamp and IMO, CND is for those who have the extra spending power or who have thinned/damaged nails and do not put their nails into heavy use.

If you are one who likes to change colours very frequently, don't go for gel.

Attachments

• flowchart.png
    flowchart.png
    58.8 KB · Views: 115
Cnd shellac only for me but
Now I also have IBX to use on those with flimsy nails - great results and the shellac stays on longer for these clients

Now I also have IBX to use on those with flimsy nails - great results and the shellac stays on longer for these clients

I have been thinking about introducing IBX. Would you mind telling me who supplies it and do you need to do training or is self explanatory? X

I only use Gelish. I haven't had the need to stock more than one brand. x

IBX is available from Louellabelle . I think I sent a copy of my manicure certificate to open an account . I bought their heat lamp and the two products. I already have the cnd led light.
There is loads on salon geek to read up on plus watch the training videos on their website.
I'm finding it well worth the expense of bringing it in. I charge a bit extra on top of the normal nail service cost.

CND Shellac for years then took on Gel ll just over a year ago. I find some clients love shellac but for some it just wasn't tough enough. Gel ll has fitted in well for us.

Vic x

I'm CND shellac only.
If it doesn't last which I have one lady who doesn't wear gloves and loves bleaching her whole entire house out! I've recommended we try her with liquid and powder nice short set and she's absolutely in love. Way round it. I don't have space to stock another whole new range either and tbh I don't want to. I've seen some lovely beautiful colours in other brands but I'm being good. For now lol [emoji12] oh what the hell I can't be good to save my life lol

Cuccio and Light Elegance. I recently added Light Elegance as their glitter gels are stunning however Cuccio veneer lasts longer and surprisingly few clients have asked for the Light Elegance colours.

I use IBX quite a bit too, but I do find some clients WILL NOT fork out, I swear it's because they can't see it and also because you need several treatments to see a difference. Wish I could convince them

How does it do on weak thin nails cheeky chick? X

It wears really well on thin nails. Clients always comment on how strong it feels compared to shellac (which I used to offer) but I do push them to rebook after 2 weeks rather than going for 3 to be on the safe side.

I do always offer structure gel to those who need the extra strength but to be honest it's not really needed that often (unless for a client who maybe has had nss acrylics removed)
x

Hi, I use mainly young nails mani q, in my option it's hard to bet. Excellent product. We have every colour in the range so needed something new and was so scared to bring anything else in but Cuccio are brilliant as well and actually quicker to apply.
X

It wears really well on thin nails. Clients always comment on how strong it feels compared to shellac (which I used to offer) but I do push them to rebook after 2 weeks rather than going for 3 to be on the safe side.

I do always offer structure gel to those who need the extra strength but to be honest it's not really needed that often (unless for a client who maybe has had nss acrylics removed)
x

This is something that has been troubling me about Shellac, it just isnt for everyone. Myself included! I am on the lookout for something that offers more structure, is this made by gelish? How do you think it would be under shellac?

Price, durability (depending on usage) and speed of application are three properties that I have so far discerned that certain client groups go for. I put together this flowchart to sieve through the different clients that opt for different products. For instance, students opt for a cheaper gel and is ok for 14+ days (Gelaze), Gelish is tougher, more durable and is faster to apply with the correct lamp and IMO, CND is for those who have the extra spending power or who have thinned/damaged nails and do not put their nails into heavy use.

If you are one who likes to change colours very frequently, don't go for gel.

But there are lots of other brands you have not included, some of which are no buff, cheaper, etc. Why have they been omitted?

This is something that has been troubling me about Shellac, it just isnt for everyone. Myself included! I am on the lookout for something that offers more structure, is this made by gelish? How do you think it would be under shellac?

Yes structure gel is made by nail harmony (Gelish)
I haven't used shellac with structure gel personally so can't say if it would work or not. I don't see why not. x

But there are lots of other brands you have not included, some of which are no buff, cheaper, etc. Why have they been omitted?

I wondered if nailtechjoe offers those brands he has named? You're right though Trinity, there are plenty of others

I've been using madam glam gel polish over acrylics - I do really love their gel polish, so durable and opaque in colour - options of 3 free, 5 free, cruelty free, vegan and all that good stuff

Latest posts

Back