Gel polish with little cracks

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanyaburks

Reaction score
Does anyone know what will cause gel polish to have these little cracks. I did my clients nails last week and she came in today for a polish change and I realized her gel polish had little cracks toward the free edge. I attached a a pic. ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1404949815.892903.jpg

I'm not sure how scientific my answer is but mine do this if I've not used my Solar Oil enough, my nails get dry and become more brittle. The Solar Oil helps with prevention of cracking as it plasticises the nail plate. Xxx

Have u tried buffing the top coat off to check if that's the problem ?? I use to have the same problem and it turned out to be the top coat I was using ...

What kind of condition are her nails in? If they are quite weak, it could be her natural nails are bending and causing the cracks. Try using something like Brisa lite smoothing gel underneath if you have it, to give her nails some extra strength.

I see this happen a lot to the clients of mine who don't use gloves while doing house work, who use harsh detergents, or their hands are often in water. (Me included! Ashamed to admit I sometimes don't wear protective gloves while using cleaning detergents!!!)

And as always, stay gorgeous!
TheNailBarista at The Beauty Bar

Did you use a hard gel top coat instead of a soak off gel top coat? That will cause cracks too.

Her nails are in pretty good condition. I did notice it on nails that's were a little more weak so that may be the issue. Should I also have her use cuticle oil every night?

My natural nails are bendy and weak and this happens with my shellac everytime. I think it's down to the free edge bending as it gets long. It's more obvious with certain colours.

Her nails are in pretty good condition. I did notice it on nails that's were a little more weak so that may be the issue. Should I also have her use cuticle oil every night?

Definitely get her to use cuticle oil at least 2-3 times a day. I would recommend Solar Oil or Dadi Oil. I always use the analogy that you wouldn't wash your hair without conditioning it after, which is exactly what the Solar Oil does for your nails! Also remind her about wearing gloves and maybe try some IBX on her next time to build strength or use Brisa Lite Smoothing Gel as other people have suggested. If her nails are weak try to keep the length down whilst you are building up the strength. Xx

Thanks so much. I will definitely try this with her for next time.

Latest posts

Back