Gel 'pooling' at sides before curing.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robyn1973f

Reaction score
Hi

I have recently trained and was using Salon Services clear self-levelling UV gel which takes 3 mins to cure and I use 2-3 layers depending on the tips I'm using, how long they are etc. Obviously this takes time with 3 layers so I bought Salon Services clear self-levelling sculpture gel (3 minute curing time again) which says it only requires one application thinking I would be able to do it in one layer and make sure the nails are the right shape etc.

Used twice now (on myself and my sister as not ready to use on paying clients till sure of how it works) and seem to have a problem. It seems to go on really well but by the time I get to the last finger on the hand it had run and 'pooled' at the sides. I tried to rebalance it with the brush before curing but it still came out with thicker sides and thinner down the middle.

They are not lifting etc - except where I have to file and buff down too much to get them looking right after curing. I managed to speed up my application time too so don't think that is the problem. Is it a problem with the brand? Does it still need to be a thinner coat but will be stronger as it's sculpting gel?

Can anyone help?

I used to have that problem with self levelling gel. So I went down what I believe to be a better route, I converted to Brisa Gel by CND. It is not self levelling, it sits exactly where you put it. Also it has low photoinitiators, so you don't get that nasty heat spike:Scared:.
However I guess to avoid the pooling of gel, I would suggest that you apply it in thinner layers and a 10sec lock on each. Hth

It depends how many nails your trying to do in 1 go.

In college we are told to do 2 nails and cure them as if you try to do 3 or 4 nails it will pool at the sides just like you have said. The other thing we have been told is once you've done your 2 nails if your waiting for the light to finish curing the other hand (in college lamps are sometimes in demand so we only have 1 lamp instead of 1 for each hand) we tell the client to turn the hand upside down so the gel stays in the centre of the nail (gravity pulling it to the centre instead of down to the sidewalls). Then carefully turn over again to put them in the lamp.

I have now got quite good speed on a set using 1 light as I've had lots of practice at getting 2 nails done then in lamp and doing 2 nails on the other hand and back to first hand etc til all fingers are dont then I do both thumbs together.

I used to have that problem with self levelling gel. So I went down what I believe to be a better route, I converted to Brisa Gel by CND. It is not self levelling, it sits exactly where you put it. Also it has low photoinitiators, so you don't get that nasty heat spike:Scared:.
However I guess to avoid the pooling of gel, I would suggest that you apply it in thinner layers and a 10sec lock on each. Hth

I do get nasty heat spikes with this gel too. Do you have to do a course to switch to Brisa or another specific system? Am assuming they all follow the same basic procedures and the difference is mainly with how thick the gel is etc?
Will use this up (HATE waste) for my nail art samples etc or in thin layers as you suggest - but what is '10sec lock'? Sorry if I am being dim.

Thanks!

It depends how many nails your trying to do in 1 go.

In college we are told to do 2 nails and cure them as if you try to do 3 or 4 nails it will pool at the sides just like you have said. The other thing we have been told is once you've done your 2 nails if your waiting for the light to finish curing the other hand (in college lamps are sometimes in demand so we only have 1 lamp instead of 1 for each hand) we tell the client to turn the hand upside down so the gel stays in the centre of the nail (gravity pulling it to the centre instead of down to the sidewalls). Then carefully turn over again to put them in the lamp.

I have now got quite good speed on a set using 1 light as I've had lots of practice at getting 2 nails done then in lamp and doing 2 nails on the other hand and back to first hand etc til all fingers are dont then I do both thumbs together.

I do a full hand as have a large lamp which accommodates the full hand or foot and don't think I could get on with doing just 2 nails at a time - that would take just as long as the 3 layers on the thin gel I was trying to avoid. lol
I do like your suggestion of holding the hand upside down though!
Thanks

I do get nasty heat spikes with this gel too. Do you have to do a course to switch to Brisa or another specific system? Am assuming they all follow the same basic procedures and the difference is mainly with how thick the gel is etc?
Will use this up (HATE waste) for my nail art samples etc or in thin layers as you suggest - but what is '10sec lock'? Sorry if I am being dim.

Thanks!

You do have to do a course to use CND Brisa gel.

A 10 second lock is simply placing the hand into the lamp as soon as the gel is applied for 10 seconds to "lock" the gel into place before you go onto the next nail... you can then cure them altogether for 2 minutes.

I do a full hand as have a large lamp which accommodates the full hand or foot and don't think I could get on with doing just 2 nails at a time - that would take just as long as the 3 layers on the thin gel I was trying to avoid. lol
I do like your suggestion of holding the hand upside down though!
Thanks
That is your problem. Your not aplying quickly enough for the first fingers to stay in the shape you want. I too have a lamp that is big enough to do a full hand or foot but the gell will self level if it's not cured quickly enough.

You could try flash curing the firsts 2 finger for 30 seconds to set the outside of the gel and stop it leveling then continue to complete the hand and cure all at once for the 3 minutes to fully cure.

I found 10 seconds wasn't enough stop the self leveling with my gel but 30 seconds does the job. As I say I have gotten quite good at 2 finger tequnique now because it's how we are told to do it in college. I'm going to see if I can go any quicker by flash curing 2 fingers for 30 seconds then curing all 4 fingers together for full 3 mins.

Baggy Bear is quite right...

I use both a self levelling and sculpt gels, i find that if i do 2 nails and then pop them under the lamp for 10-20 secs then the self level gel doesnt seep to the side walls, the other thing i am thinking is that when your doing the full hand maybe the client's fingers are turning slightly to the side this makes the gel slip tooo..

imo, flash curing for 10-20 secs is not a big time waster as the nail keeps the shape nicely and avoids un-necessary filing to re-shape.. which can take up more time :O).. and helps prevent any lifting from products touching the side walls and cuticle.

Sarah x

What a load of faffing about experiencing things that you simply do not have to.
Turning upside down? pooling and slipping to the side? lock Curing before moving on? Fingers and then thumbs? Heat spikes? Volcanoes and craters? Sorry girls! One day hopefully you'll be in a salon situation and trust me you will not want ANY of that.

Thank God for Brisa Gels.

What a load of faffing about experiencing things that you simply do not have to.
Turning upside down? pooling and slipping to the side? lock Curing before moving on? Fingers and then thumbs? Heat spikes? Volcanoes and craters? Sorry girls! One day hopefully you'll be in a salon situation and trust me you will not want ANY of that.

Geeg it's nice that with all your experience you have found a gel your happy with but I dont find you saying that our 'faffing about experiencing things that you simply do not have to' very helpful.

I've passed on the hints and tips that have helped me get passed the OP's problem of pooling at side walls - thats all. I have no choice in what gel I use in college as the kit was chosen by them and we have to buy and use that kit for the course. I do what I'm told and how I'm told by my educator - just like you have told so many people to do on here.

I am looking into trying out new gels and acrylics when I qualify at the end of this school year. Until I qualify and I get through some trails with other gels I will do as I've been told and follow the 2 finger aplication or flash curing the gel until I'm ready to fully cure.

Geeg it's nice that with all your experience you have found a gel your happy with but I dont find you saying that our 'faffing about experiencing things that you simply do not have to' very helpful.

I've passed on the hints and tips that have helped me get passed the OP's problem of pooling at side walls - thats all. I have no choice in what gel I use in college as the kit was chosen by them and we have to buy and use that kit for the course. I do what I'm told and how I'm told by my educator - just like you have told so many people to do on here.

I am looking into trying out new gels and acrylics when I qualify at the end of this school year. Until I qualify and I get through some trails with other gels I will do as I've been told and follow the 2 finger aplication or flash curing the gel until I'm ready to fully cure.

Nice to know one can aspire to higher heights in the future isn't it?
I didn't criticize anyones advice re 'pooling' .. merely pointing out there are much better alternatives and as a student you should know that it wont always be the way you are experiencing now. I think my suggestion is very helpful and that one day you will also find it helpful to know. :biggrin:

Well thanks for the advice that Brissa is a good gel. I will make sure it is one of the gels I trail once I've qualified.

Hi lol... i just read my peice back to myself i meant to actually put "had used", i now use harmony reveal gels and they stay where they should be :O)..

tbh i always had to freeze cure with my first gel brand but using both youngs and now harmony at the higher end of the brand scale you can tell alot of difference to the final result.. havnt used brisa :O)

Sarah xx

Latest posts

Back