Gel powder-does it exist?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Innova

Reaction score
I'm pretty new to nail systems so I don't want to rock the boat on a product that maybe I just haven't heard of! But my mother in law has been telling me that when she's goes to have her nails done in a nail bar in town and she asks for gels. The person who does them has 2 pots one marked gel and one marked acrylic. He then uses the "gel" powder mixed with a liquid to apply a coating on her nail before painting a normal gel paint over the top a curing it. Like I say I'm new to the nail side of the industry so I could be wrong but she has now chipped the system on her nail and the layers between her actual nail and the top of the system used is so thick I'm convinced they've been putting acrylic on then painting it with gel polish. Am I just jumping the gun or is there actually a gel powder product? I've been hunting and have only managed to find the dip system. Is there a chance they are mixing this and painting it onto the nail? I can't help but think they are being conned but thought I better check before I open my mouth and then find I'm in the wrong! Any help would be really appreciated and if this powder does exist can you tell me where I can get it and how it's used? Thanks x

This 'con ' has been around for what seems like forever . No there is no such thing as a 'gel powder ' as you are describing . You are right in your thinking . It is just plain old acrylic ( liquid & Powder to give it the correct name ) with what sounds like a gel polish over

For some bizarre reasons some salons feel the need to 'sell ' it like this . Why I have no idea :-(

So I was right to be suspicious! Thank you for confirming it for me. Now I have the job on convincing the mother in law that she's being conned! Lol

I think they say gel powder so people will think its better for your nails. I could be wrong.

That's exactly what I thought! I just don't understand why they don't just use actual gel instead of lying about it!

My local NSS salons call it Crystal Gel Powder and charge more for it, I've had plenty of people coming to me and saying that the gel I use isn't the same as they've had previously.
Love telling them they're being ripped off as it means they won't be returning to the NSS salons (not because they've been ripped off) ;):)

So I was right to be suspicious! Thank you for confirming it for me. Now I have the job on convincing the mother in law that she's being conned! Lol

It started about 12 years ago when Gel became more 'mainstream' - like fashion, nail products go in and out of fashion. Currently L&P is having a revivial but it was Gel about 12 years ago when a particular manufacturer launched their gel as being 'organic' so kinder to the natural nail, clients being mostly uninformed heard about this 'kinder' product and that is was healthier because it's 'organic' so they were all asking for Gel - this caused the less scrupulous salons to start calling their product 'Gel powder' in an attempt to fool unsuspecting clients who inevitably fell for it. I've spent many many years telling people they are being fooled but they don't like to hear it and refuse to be wrong

I did think I was goin to have a far bigger argument on my hands when I informed my mother in law today but she's more angry that she's paid more for her nails than she should have! It's outrageous really your think trading standards would have put a stop to it! I also during my hunt for the truth came across an article for the dip system saying that was acrylic is that correct? As I've got 2 friends convinced they are also having gel done but I know next to nothing about this system xx

Yes, it could also be an acrylic dip system.

Yes, it could also be an acrylic dip system.

Over here when they say 'gel powder ' system what they are actually doing is just as been said . Acrylic with a gel polish over the top which would need to be cured in the lamp . Unless there is something out there I don't know about dip systems to not need a lamp x

Thanks everyone for your help you've all been amazing xx

I’ve lost count of the amount of people who I’ve educated to the fact that when they say gel powder and mix a liquid with a powder it’s acrylic, that acrylics with MMA are industrial, however I do remember a system coming out from a company from “Michelle Porter” called “acrygel” where you dipped the gel into a powder, I used it for a while but it became really difficult to get hold of. That isn’t what they mean when they say gel powder tho. It’s all a play on words and as long as you are straight with your customers and keep them updated on new product then great [emoji6]
676bc9dbd8cd5b4c917d25bbf1c40511.jpg

Latest posts

Back