Gel powder

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emilyx

Reaction score
Hey guys, can anyone tell me what gel powder is? Just curious as a salon in my town does it and I've never heard of it before x

I've never heard of it either!

If a non nail person mentioned this to me I'd think they were getting confused with L&P.

There is acrigel from what I gather is a mix of acrylic and gel

I know! I know! :D

This is the stuff the NSS use when they tell their clients they're having gel but they're applying L&P. I've told clients until I'm blue in the face that if they've dipped a brush in liquid and then powder it IS NOT GEL!!!!

:irked:

I know! I know! :D

This is the stuff the NSS use when they tell their clients they're having gel but they're applying L&P. I've told clients until I'm blue in the face that if they've dipped a brush in liquid and then powder it IS NOT GEL!!!!

:irked:

And then you whip out your gel pots and say "THIS is gel!" right? Cuz that's what I do! :lol:

On their price list they have acrylic nails and gel powder nails so i am guessing its something different ?

Hi, I do acrygel nails it is acrylic powder,and gel :))) I've used it for years :)))

LeChat has a gel powder. I personally think it's just acrylic with a fancy name to make clients think they are getting a less damaging product.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SalonGeek

Le chat's system is a little weird. The gel is in a polish-like bottle. You brush on the gel and scoop the powder over it (shaking off the excess) and then cure. Sounds easy, but there's a reason why it's not popular. I'm gonna take a wild guess and say the service Emilyx saw is just l&p that's been decanted into label-less pots with the words "gel powder" scribbled on it with a sharpie. It's nothing new. NSS do it all the time, and it's been discussed here quite a few times.

I don't mean to jump to conclusions when I don't have all of the facts but I think it may be a NSS, thought this before the gel powder, think it even more now.

Don't touch Lechat! Best but if advice I can give anyone...so much money wasted on their gels and powder gels!!

Le chat's system is a little weird. The gel is in a polish-like bottle. You brush on the gel and scoop the powder over it (shaking off the excess) and then cure. Sounds easy, but there's a reason why it's not popular. I'm gonna take a wild guess and say the service Emilyx saw is just l&p that's been decanted into label-less pots with the words "gel powder" scribbled on it with a sharpie. It's nothing new. NSS do it all the time, and it's been discussed here quite a few times.
In fact, allot of the discount salons/nail bars call the L&P system they use Powder Gel, because that is the brand name they buy ... They don't necessarily call it Powder Gel to hoodwink customers ... Powder Gel is the brand name on the bottle.

Nail bars are not all NSS either and they shouldn't be labeled that way. Sorry to sound sharp, but it irks me, when I know so many talented South East Asian nail technicians who are dedicated to their work and who are well educated and have very high standards, to hear people generally refer to any SEA salon as NSS and to make assumptions about what they might use!! Its insulting and It's wrong.

In fact, allot of the discount salons/nail bars call the L&P system they use Powder Gel, because that is the brand name they buy ... They don't necessarily call it Powder Gel to hoodwink customers ... Powder Gel is the brand name on the bottle.

Nail bars are not all NSS either and they shouldn't be labeled that way. Sorry to sound sharp, but it irks me, when I know so many talented South East Asian nail technicians who are dedicated to their work and who are well educated and have very high standards, to hear people generally refer to any SEA salon as NSS and to make assumptions about what they might use!! Its insulting and It's wrong.

Oh yes of course, Gigi! We had this topic before and I said sometimes it's what big boss buys and we techs just have to go with it, and a lot of us really don't know what it really is so we just call it what we were told it's called. (And that's usually what big boss was told it was called from the supplier.)

I wouldn't say I'm talented, but I am a SEA tech and it does feel cruddy when after a quick glance at me from across my nail station, certain people will automatically assume that:
a) I probably don't speak English, and
b) I'm about to destroy their nails beyond repair because I have little or no professional standard

and I find it really disturbing when other techs would assume that a nail bar full of SEAs are NSS. It doesn't feel good to automatically be classed as a certain category by other people of the same profession just based off ethnicity, the fact that some of us use the drill, and wear masks. :irked:

Sorry to jump off topic there. x

Last edited:
I tried to make this point today too on my Facebook page. I have incredibly talented Asian tech friends who have very high standards and are fantastic. NSS salons are not only Asian, any ethnicity can create this type of working environment with low standards!

Latest posts

Back