Gel problem - What is causing this?!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicki-Marie

Reaction score
3266d1165843229-chronic-pocket-lifting-untitled-12.jpg

Ive been browsing through threads trying to come across a problem i am noticing with my gels recently, Have no idea what im doing wrong ...
I found this image above which is exactly what im noticing on my gels. Ive tried to take my own picture, but my camera isnt too good.

If anyone can help me on this id be very grateful to find out what may be causing it.

Thanks
Nicki x x

Are they white tips

yep, they are.

But im noticing it with blended tips also.

to me it looks like onycholysis (a separation of the nail plate)

I had a touch of this a few weeks ago due to me catching and over filing my natural nail, when I applied a new set this is how my little finger looked under the product, I kept that nail very short and use lots of solar oil until it grew out.

It may be onycholysis or it may be the free edge showing through as the white tip grows out, or with your blended tips where to you placed your smile? Is it too high up and you can see the blended tip still or do you do it lower down to cover the whole tip? How far down the nail does it go?

i thought it looked like pocket lifting, though its really hard for me to tell because i have a very small screen.

it could be caused by too tight tips or lack of strength in the apex.

It may be onycholysis or it may be the free edge showing through as the white tip grows out, or with your blended tips where to you placed your smile? Is it too high up and you can see the blended tip still or do you do it lower down to cover the whole tip? How far down the nail does it go?

I think it looks like onycholysis. It's quite a jagged line to be the free edge growing out, don't you think? Maybe it's just me!
Also, is there some lifting along the sidewall?

this looks like addesive to me when appling the tip do you roll the tip on then drag it down toward the free edge for perfect placement?

the only reason i think this is as you only need to remove the shine of the tip then apply the gel you would not be getting rid of the residue if applying your tip in this manor

i would say its not the free edge showing through because it doesn't match the infill growth and you would asume you would have covered the free edge when origanaly applying your tip

to be sure that its not onycholysis the enhancement will have to be removed then you would know for sure

are you getting it on all nails or just this one ?

I think it looks like onycholysis. It's quite a jagged line to be the free edge growing out, don't you think? Maybe it's just me!
Also, is there some lifting along the sidewall?

Yeah your right i think!! i think we can eliminate the free edge!
when i've used white tips with a deep smile i get a touch of the free edge showing through in the middle of the smile.

if its happening on most sets of gels then Tricky may have hit the nail on the head - surely not all her clients have onycholysis? x x

oh you might be right here i wonder if gigi could shed some light

this is very interesting :)

Hi all thanks for all your replies, as this has been bugging me slightly as to what could be happening!
Its happened to a handful of my clients, the first time i thought maybe onycholysis, but it started to happen on different clients.
I decided to put a set on myself and again ... well literally after a 8 hours it started to appear.
So it couldnt of been free edge that quickly, then maybe thought pocket lifting, but it didnt appear to be lifting after i filled down to the area.

The way i describe what it looks like, is adhesive that almost looks dried below the tip.
Ive never come across this before until i used NSI, And also used their tip glue.
So determined to get to the bottom of this, I applied another set of gels using creative gel bond, and ....... i didnt have any problems whatsoever.

Im prepping correctly, bonding, filing the tip etc, So oddly could it well be something to do with the NSI glue?

Hi all thanks for all your replies, as this has been bugging me slightly as to what could be happening!
Its happened to a handful of my clients, the first time i thought maybe onycholysis, but it started to happen on different clients.
I decided to put a set on myself and again ... well literally after a 8 hours it started to appear.
So it couldnt of been free edge that quickly, then maybe thought pocket lifting, but it didnt appear to be lifting after i filled down to the area.

The way i describe what it looks like, is adhesive that almost looks dried below the tip.
Ive never come across this before until i used NSI, And also used their tip glue.
So determined to get to the bottom of this, I applied another set of gels using creative gel bond, and ....... i didnt have any problems whatsoever.

Im prepping correctly, bonding, filing the tip etc, So oddly could it well be something to do with the NSI glue?
Have a look at the link I gave in my previous reply, it should help.

If you use white tips whit gel the gel is not cured and this causes onycholysis. White tips is for L&P... Try to change the tips to clear. It should help been having the same problem.
:hug:

Hi
I use nsi and I am quite new,
so I am still doing a few things wrong
one of those things is that sometimes if i don't put enough glue on my white tip and it does not stick,
I go back and apply a bit more glue and this sometimes turns into a milky white melted glue mix on the smiles,
I was wondering if this milky glue mix was dragged down the nail for perfect placement it could be this milky white glue stuff leaving a residue behind

I have noticed my nsi glue does melt some of my white tips :)
do you think this could be the trouble ?

have a read of bagpuss and valencian nails links they provided
some good answers on those links
hth

have a read of bagpuss and valencian nails links they provided
some good answers on those links
hth

Absolutely those links have great info.....posts from The Geek, Mum and Geeg......all stating that this is either stress from product shrinkage, or pseudo leukonychia.

Latest posts

Back