Gel questions, please help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flowerette

Reaction score
Hi all :)

I'm almost finished my beauty therapy training and am interested in starting to do my own gel from home. (purely for personal use/family etc) In a few weeks there will be a beauty expo that i'm wanting to buy this all from, so i want to know by then what i'm gonna do

I'm familiar with the OPI gel colour (have used it, had it done n like it), i also have tried the gelish and was impressed with how long it lasted, and i'm interested in the ORLY gel fx (vitamins!! good for nails) I know all cure by LED technology, which leads to my main question - is it possible to only buy one lamp to cure the three brands above? i'm wondering that if they all cure by LED, does it matter which brand lamp I get?

I love the opi led lamp, but i'm not sure if you can use any brand (granted they cure by LED) in it. I have heard the Gelish led lamp will cure both the gelish and the OPI, but if i can get any led lamp to cure gels that cure by LED (??) then i'll do that

not sure if this is a dumb question but i'm confused and google isnt helping me hehe

Thank you!!

Normally you are advised to use the lamp compatible with the system you are using for guaranteed results. Also you may need to check with your insurers whether you will be covered if you use another brand's lamp as technically you are not providing the full service if you are mixing brands.

You may get more answers as the day goes on x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Normally you are advised to use the lamp compatible with the system you are using for guaranteed results. Also you may need to check with your insurers whether you will be covered if you use another brand's lamp as technically you are not providing the full service if you are mixing brands.

You may get more answers as the day goes on x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thank you for your response!

That's the tricky bit, normally you are advised to used the lamp compatible with the system and I'm wondering if it's cured by LED if any LED lamp will cure it, not just the branded lamp that goes with the brand gel polish

I know most UV Lamps cure multiple Gel brands (curable by uv) regardless of brand so I'm wondering If it's the same for LED

It s tricky one - yes, you can cure a lot of gels with a variety of LED lamps, its a question of trial and error to make sure you get a full cure with no service breakdown.... not something to try on clients!

On my own nails I have cured Gelish, IBD, Essie and OPI using the Essie lamp with no problem and they have all lasted 2+ weeks but I would stress once again this is on my own nails only....

Some will shoot me down for posting this - thats for sure.....

You can cure gelish with any led lamp if that helps! Although I had a cheap lamp and found it took longer that 30 secs do went back to using cnd led lamp as easier than swapping lamps about xxxx

awesome, thank you both!

i've emailed ORLY inquiring about their gel fx and if it'll cure under an OPI or gelish lamp. i'm so new to all of this to i really want to be sure before i buy anything. usually i'll rush into a purchase without studying to much into it and i end up wasting a bit of money so i want to be sure!

another question i had, not sure if anyone can help me with this (or it may also be another silly question, sorry if so)
i know most brands come with something to prep the nail with, e.g bondaid for opi gel colour, if i was to get the bondaid from opi gel colour would that work used before another brand of gel? (e.g gelish) i'm thinking not but at the same time it does the same thing as another brands nail prep does...

thank you for all the help!

I use cnd scrub fresh (for use with shellac) alongside gelish now as like it better than gelish cleanse :) again not sure if it will help as diff brands lol xxxxx

Latest posts

Back