Gel recommendations?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stormiie

Reaction score
I finally saved enough to get a gel polish kit, insurance ect.

I was so hoping for CND but they have removed all kits off their website and have said they will be bringing a new product out in a few months.

Which other brand would you recommend? I love the idea of Gelish but worry they are open to the public and puts me off. Do Gelish offer a course as well? All though fully trained I like to get product training to match.

I love The Gel Bottle products.

I use the manicure company and so do a few of my friends, I really like them!

Well here's thing:

Only one company makes high quality gel products, and thats CND. There's no ands, ifs, or buts about it.
Problem is, they cost a lot. And theyre a bit harder to get in some places.

I have this principal, its called the 80-90% principal. If you meet 80-90% of the objective, mission accomplished.
Any gel that is NOT CND is low quality. However, they achieve the 80% principal, meaning that the result that you require from these gels meet 80%, that is they last about 1-2 weeks, and they look good. AND they can be dirt cheap.

The problem with cheap gels is this, they're more likely to make you sick. So, if you use them, you have to make sure you beef up your safety knowledge and equipment. Another thing, you won't find the right info anywhere on google.
-always wear nitrile gloves when working with gels.
-never touch the gels. They are never fully cured since only CND can fully cure theirs.

If you want to go the cheap route, I recommend the product DND. Really cheap stuff and they get the job done. You can upgrade to CND when you make more money.

Last edited:
Well here's thing:

Only one company makes high quality gel products, and thats CND. There's no ands, ifs, or buts about it.

I have this principal, its called the 80-90% principal. If you meet 80-90% of the objective, mission accomplished.
Any gel that is NOT CND is low quality. However, they achieve the 80% principal, meaning that the result that you require from these gels meet 80%, that is they last about 1-2 weeks, and they look good. AND they can be dirt cheap.

The problem with cheap gels is this, they're more likely to make you sick. So, if you use them, you have to make sure you beef up your safety knowledge and equipment. Another thing, you won't find the right info anywhere on google.
-never touch the gels. They are never fully cured since only CND can fully cure theirs.

If you want to go the cheap route, I recommend the product DND. Really cheap stuff and they get the job done. You can upgrade to CND when you make more money.

Presumably you have evidence to back up these claims?

Presumably you have evidence to back up these claims?

I don't have hard evidence but I know that my sources of information are very good.

I don't have hard evidence but I know that my sources of information are very good.

Well that’s should persuade everyone to believe it then!

Well that’s should persuade everyone to believe it then!

Well lets look at it like this: Nail technicians arn't very "scientific". I think we can all agree on that. Nail techs do their job and they go home. Its a very simple life. We use products and either we like it or we don't. Again, very simple.

Im a nail tech just like yall. But my other profession is researching. Ive looked very deeply into these products. And im just relaying the info back so that it would make the profession better. Don't take the info as im holier than tho. Rather see it as useful information that will enrich your life. You guys think I like saying things that get backlash? No. I don't.

This entire topic falls into occupational safety. Nail techs deal with chemical products. IM TELLING YOU that a lot of these products can and will cause skin problems, let alone being high quality or not.

I didn't want to go for a "cheap" brand. I wouldn't consider Gelish a "cheap" brand or product.

Money is no issue as I would rather save and have a brand(s) I am happy working with. Hence me saying that I saved enough for the CND LED kit only for it to be removed waiting for them to release their new product in a few months.

Well lets look at it like this: Nail technicians arn't very "scientific". I think we can all agree on that. Nail techs do their job and they go home. Its a very simple life. We use products and either we like it or we don't. Again, very simple.

Im a nail tech just like yall. But my other profession is researching. Ive looked very deeply into these products. And im just relaying the info back so that it would make the profession better. Don't take the info as im holier than tho. Rather see it as useful information that will enrich your life. You guys think I like saying things that get backlash? No. I don't.

This entire topic falls into occupational safety. Nail techs deal with chemical products. IM TELLING YOU that a lot of these products can and will cause skin problems, let alone being high quality or not.
No matter the quality, brand, product or price. Over exposure of any form of nail product WILL cause problems for the skin FACT. So aslong as the chosen product is used correctly and safely, it doesn't matter what you use as long as you use a reputable brand that works for you and your clients.

I think any trained nail tech is already aware that the products they use can cause allergies, skin issue etc. Offering 'information' as fact without supplying any evidence to support it is not life enriching or useful it is misleading and unreliable.

Personally, CND was the worst for me.
I love OPI and Gelish is good too.
But I must admit I’m moving over to the gel bottle, I’ve loved everything about it so far, particularly the builder gel.
I highly recommend x

I think any trained nail tech is already aware that the products they use can cause allergies, skin issue etc. Offering 'information' as fact without supplying any evidence to support it is not life enriching or useful it is misleading and unreliable.
Nah, most are clueless about the skin allergies. If they did, I wouldn't be making such a big deal out of it, now would I?

Also the reason why im bashing these brands, is because even if you use them according to instructions, they will still give you skin problems.
And you keep asking me for evidence, but when you use these products, do you use them on a trust basis? Or do you ask them for evidence also? Smh

Last edited:
Well here's thing:

Hahahaha!

Well here's thing:

That is complete and utter nonsense, and no evidence whatsoever (and it's spelled "principle," which is an important distinction in this case).

CND is an excellent brand and does not require falsehoods to boost it. It is hypoallergenic - which is a term that has no scientific standard, but CND Shellac can often be used on clients who have reactions to other brands. OPI is another excellent brand that also has hybrid bases like CND, and easy removals. Gelish is also very good and is more durable that the hybrid brands. I also like LeChat Perfect Match (especially the Mood Collection), Artistic Colour Gloss, and Cuccio Veneer which all have fantastic colors. There are many other good brands out there, but I would encourage you to stick with a professional brand.

Last edited:
Well lets look at it like this: Nail technicians arn't very "scientific".
But my other profession is researching. .

I'm married to a NT who has degrees in Chemistry and Biology. Myself, I have an engineering degree. At one time all of our educators in Ukraine and Russia had degrees of one form or another - NT in those countries often earn more than as engineers, scientists or teachers.

Profession meaning you have a recognised professional qualification such as a degree, or profession meaning someone pays you to research for them? Can you support this claim?

It is hypoallergenic - which is a term that has no scientific standard

That's correct, because different product types such as cosmetics, washing powder, perfumes, etc. products would have different testing criteria. So a uniform definition is not possible to write.

Take nail products for example. An allergy can occur at nail school or 20+ years later. How could you create a clinical trial over 20+ years and ensure that all NT only used a brands UV lamps and products?

That does not mean that is has no basis in fact. However, it does place the emphasis on the user to support their use of the term.

For example, one way to do this is to analyse all published peer-reviewed research articles concerning nail product allergies and make a list of all the ingredients found to be allergens in the numerous clinical trials. If you them develop a product that contains none of these ingredients, that can reasonably be called hypoallergenic. If you could also support that by showing that you received no reports of allergies from that product since it was put on the market 10 years ago, that would enhance your argument.

Nah, most are clueless about the skin allergies. If they did, I wouldn't be making such a big deal out of it, now would I?

Also the reason why im bashing these brands, is because even if you use them according to instructions, they will still give you skin problems.
And you keep asking me for evidence, but when you use these products, do you use them on a trust basis? Or do you ask them for evidence also? Smh

This is complete hokum. You are making yourself look foolish and propagating false information. That is neither helpful or professional.

That is complete and utter nonsense, and no evidence whatsoever (and it's spelled "principle," which is an important distinction in this case).

CND is an excellent brand and does not require falsehoods to boost it. It is hypoallergenic - which is a term that has no scientific standard, but CND Shellac can often be used on clients who have reactions to other brands. OPI is another excellent brand that also has hybrid bases like CND, and easy removals. Gelish is also very good and is more durable that the hybrid brands. I also like LeChat Perfect Match (especially the Mood Collection), Artistic Colour Gloss, and Cuccio Veneer which all have fantastic colors. There are many other good brands out there, but I would encourage you to stick with a professional brand.

I spelled principle incorrectly but context in which I've used it is much more important that the actual spelling. The main thing is that you understood what I've tried to say. Now youre just wasting mines and everyone elses' time to correct me just for the sake of correcting. What does that say about you? What does that say about your attention span in these conversations? Your focus is on the wrong things.

Some of you guys are saying I have no evidence, which is EXTREMELY OFFENSIVE. You guys don't know anything about these products. You only have a surface level knowledge of the product. I've spoken to the makers of these products and understand how they are made. So for some of you to say im lying is, again, extremely offensive to my intelligence. For me to make the claim that these products are no good, a lot of things had to happen. Alot of unique experiences had to have taken place. And ive simplified it in the previous posts.

Last edited:
It's never a waste of time to confront and correct you on the numerous inaccurate statement and just plain lies you so often present here. There are a number of new techs on this board and hundreds more who lurk and read. I am writing here, not to convince you (because you have shown an inability to be swayed by facts), but to make sure others are informed that what you've said should not be taken at face value. Your statements should not go unchallenged and should not be accepted as fact by people new to the profession.

You have maligned a number of brands and manufacturers, as well as members of this forum. That is unacceptable behavior from anyone, but particularly bad coming from one who claims to be a professional. If there is evidence that supports your statements, then produce it in this public forum to be analyzed, scrutinized, and debated. That's how science works; heck, that's how basic human decency works. Anything less is just malicious fearmongering and gossip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back