Gel removal timings

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murphy01

Reaction score
Hi was just wondering how long roughly it should take to remove gels and re apply? I'm newly qualified. Yesterday a client returned to have her gels removed (fingers and toes) and wanted a new colour applied. I did as taught i.e. Started by filing the top to remove the shine (allowing the acetone to penetrate more easily), then using the nail bandages I purchased from the wholesalers I applied acetone and wrapped around the nails and left to soak for approximately 10-15mins. After removing the bandages (at which point no lifting was present) I then began using a nail cuticle pusher tool to chip away (very gently) at the gel to remove it. This took forever and I had to buff/file away at the nail plate too (again very lightly and not applying any pressure as to avoid damage to nail plate). I then had to prep the nails ready for new application. The whole process including a re-paint was approximately 2.5 hours (maybe more!) Surely this is way too long. So my questions are 1) how long should this all take and 2) am I doing anything wrong? and finally can you offer and tips on how to speed up? I read you can use a heated water bottle is this advisable? Thank you for any help x

Gel polish or Gel overlays?

What brand? 10-15 minutes is possibly too long to wrap for, the acetone will have evaporated and the product re-hardened. CND Shellac is 8 minutes soak off, longer is not better.

It takes me approx 40 minutes to do fingers, more for toes due to logistics, so I'd aim for 1.5 hours to do both (I'm home based so no salon pressures to get them in and out quickly - I'm more about the chill and relax time)

What brand? 10-15 minutes is possibly too long to wrap for, the acetone will have evaporated and the product re-hardened. CND Shellac is 8 minutes soak off, longer is not better.

It takes me approx 40 minutes to do fingers, more for toes due to logistics, so I'd aim for 1.5 hours to do both (I'm home based so no salon pressures to get them in and out quickly - I'm more about the chill and relax time)

I've been using the Manicure company and gel bottle. Ok thank you, I'll try leaving the acetone on for less time and see if that helps. I'm also home based and like you don't normally stress about timings but 2.5 hours in I was worried the client might be loosing the will to live [emoji23]

I go from left to right and buff one finger then wrap and go along, when I get to the end I take off the first wrap and start removing, them if it needs to be re-wrapped put it back on and continue, this works well for the three brands I use

I go from left to right and buff one finger then wrap and go along, when I get to the end I take off the first wrap and start removing, them if it needs to be re-wrapped put it back on and continue, this works well for the three brands I use

Great, thanks very much x

I would recommend getting a gel polish remover rather than acetone. Works so much better.

Hi was just wondering how long roughly it should take to remove gels and re apply? I'm newly qualified. Yesterday a client returned to have her gels removed (fingers and toes) and wanted a new colour applied. I did as taught i.e. Started by filing the top to remove the shine (allowing the acetone to penetrate more easily), then using the nail bandages I purchased from the wholesalers I applied acetone and wrapped around the nails and left to soak for approximately 10-15mins. After removing the bandages (at which point no lifting was present) I then began using a nail cuticle pusher tool to chip away (very gently) at the gel to remove it. This took forever and I had to buff/file away at the nail plate too (again very lightly and not applying any pressure as to avoid damage to nail plate). I then had to prep the nails ready for new application. The whole process including a re-paint was approximately 2.5 hours (maybe more!) Surely this is way too long. So my questions are 1) how long should this all take and 2) am I doing anything wrong? and finally can you offer and tips on how to speed up? I read you can use a heated water bottle is this advisable? Thank you for any help x

Hi there,
For a quick file, buff and application (no cuticle work, they're just pushed back) with removal should be around 30 mins, and with a full manicure should be around 45 mins. You don't necessarily have to do in that time, but these times are just based on salons around my area and the salon I work in.
I find CND Shellac comes off quicker than OPI gel polish.

I find CND Shellac comes off quicker than OPI gel polish.

Agreed... OPI is really difficult to get off. I always ask what brand was applied and work out timings from that. My soak off doesn’t work well with OPI at all.

I would recommend getting a gel polish remover rather than acetone. Works so much better.

Thanks. Is there one you would recommend?

As someone else has said, leaving it that long means it gets hard again and the acetone evaporates. I use the gel bottle and what I do in terms of hands is use a soak of tray. I file the top layer then put their hands in the soak of tray. However I don't leave it sat for long. I start working after a minute or two of soaking. One finger at a time then pop it back it back and just repeat until it's off. Doing it this way really help cut my removal time down. I would do the same thing with feet except using a wrap. Just keep applying remover so it doesn't dry out.

Agreed... OPI is really difficult to get off. I always ask what brand was applied and work out timings from that. My soak off doesn’t work well with OPI at all.

I must disagree with that. I find OPI second only to Shellac in easy removal as both base coats are hybrid. But I also find that with good brands, difficult removals often signal a poorly done application. Check that your base application is super thin; try "scrubbing" it on.

Hmm... Well considering I don’t use OPI I can only judge from trying to remove it and not from how good/bad the application was. I still stand by my view that bar the chinese stuff it’s the most difficult to remove. Maybe it’s different with an OPI soak off solution, I certainly know that Gelish is easier to remove with their own soak off.

I use primarily OPI and find it easy to take off. I soak in foils wraps (cut cotton pads and kitchen foil) with generic 100% acetone bought from Sally’s. I leave them for 10/15 minutes (patience is key here) and it just lifts off with out having to scrape (I don’t even buff the surface). Same timing and technique for Gelish and CND, they just need a gentle push off.
The only gel polish I REALLY get frustrated with is Orly. And of course the Chinese stuff.

That chinese stuff what is it made out of

Latest posts

Back