Gel ruining my nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glitterandgold

Reaction score
Hi ladies!
I've just finished my level 2, at the end of our course we got trained in IBD gel nails - which I was really excited about, but I'm having a few issues so was hoping you'd be able to help me :|

Before using it my nails were an average strength, but in good condition overall, never had problems with dry/flakiness etc.
I've only used it twice on myself, but both times on removal my nails have been a total mess - peeling all over, and really dehydrated looking. Why is this happening?! Does IBD always do this?

I apply the gel layers really thin, and to remove I file/buff it a lot to break the seal, and then apply the remover for 15/20 minutes (it's recommended 10mins but its still completely stuck after 10). It doesn't "fall away" like it's supposed to, I still have to work quite hard to get the gel off which I think must be half the reason that they're peeling.

Where am I going wrong, why isn't it coming off easily and why is it leaving my nails in such a state? :Scared: My friends are requesting it but I'm really hesitant to put it on them because I don't want their nails to end up looking like mine do!

Thank you for any help xxx

Maybe it is because it is a buff off Gel?

Buff off gels dont damage nails. Students and inexperienced ones buff nails way more than they should...

It's not IBD gel causing your problems, it is the over buffing during prep and the buffing off to remove, and lack of experience doing your nails ...BOTH are being done incorrectly.

Don't blame the brand ... blame the inexperience. IBD is a perfectly good gel with years of a decent reputation behind the brand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure it is a soak off gel? IBD do both... If it is not and you had your hands in acetone for 20 mins there is not wonder they are dehydrated and flakey. If it is a soak off gel, were your hands cold? Acetone needs heat to work so using acetone in pads wrapped in foil under a hot water bottle or warm towel will help.

Gel does not ruin nails. It's the person putting them on/taking them off that can ruin nails. Good thing is... they grow back!;)

This is why I asked if it was a buff off Gel, because OP is having trouble removing it by trying to soak it off. Does seem weird though if OP doesn't know the difference!!

This is why I asked if it was a buff off Gel, because OP is having trouble removing it by trying to soak it off. Does seem weird though if OP doesn't know the difference!!

Yeah:/ That's why I thought she might have missed the heat in removal? Amazing how much difference it can make:rolleyes:

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not by any means blaming the brand as I know it has a good reputation, but I genuinely don't know what I'm doing wrong to get this dodgy end result! It's my first time ever using gel nails and I've never had any form of gel manicure carried out on me before so haven't seen any removals done by a professional - when we had our training it was a very short session and we never actually got to see a removal being carried out which I suppose is why I'm so clueless on it. I realise I'm inexperienced which is why I'm asking as I want to learn to do it correctly - I don't have a contact number or I'd be directly asking the lady who trained us, so SG was my next point of call.

It's the "Just Gel" polish and the removal instructions I was given were:

- Buff the gel to break the seal
- Apply gel remover to cotton pad, place over nail and wrap in foil
- Leave for 10 minutes, pull pad off firmly & peel away any remaining gel if it hasn't already all fallen away.

That's all I have to go on! Heat was never mentioned, is this where I'm going wrong? xx

Ok if it is "Just Gel" it should defo be a soak of polish.

Yes heat might make the difference here!!! If your hands are cold f.e. the removal process can take forever. Just make sure that you never force any product of your natural nail, then you are just ripping layers of it. If you are left with stubborn residue rather try to soak a pad in pure acetone and rubbing it off. If it doesn't move you could try very carefully buffing it off rather than scraping!

If it is the Just Gel though I firmly believe that the heat will make the difference:)

Ohhhh thank you so much! - I'll remove it with heat next time and see if it's any better, sounds like that's the problem as my hands are always cold so it would make sense. Seems like such an obvious thing for her to forget to mention? I'll let the other girls know as I know some of them have been having the same problem as me.
Thanks again xx

Don't forget to regularly use (2 x daily) a good quality cuticle oil like CND Solar Oil- it will help with the dehydration

Buff off gels dont damage nails. Students and inexperienced ones buff nails way more than they should...

It's not IBD gel causing your problems, it is the over buffing during prep and the buffing off to remove, and lack of experience doing your nails ...BOTH are being done incorrectly.

Don't blame the brand ... blame the inexperience. IBD is a perfectly good gel with years of a decent reputation behind the brand.

Is it just me or does this post seem a bit harsh? The girl made a post asking for help, she said she has just completed the course, so obviously she is new to gels and not one but was she blaming ibd for the problems.......

I just find it a bit upsetting that people who have just trained and are asking for a bit of advice from more experienced people get a cheeky comment in return. We've all been in her position. Surely giving helpful advice is better.

Is it just me or does this post seem a bit harsh? The girl made a post asking for help, she said she has just completed the course, so obviously she is new to gels and not one but was she blaming ibd for the problems.......

I just find it a bit upsetting that people who have just trained and are asking for a bit of advice from more experienced people get a cheeky comment in return. We've all been in her position. Surely giving helpful advice is better.

I agree x

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not by any means blaming the brand as I know it has a good reputation, but I genuinely don't know what I'm doing wrong to get this dodgy end result! It's my first time ever using gel nails and I've never had any form of gel manicure carried out on me before so haven't seen any removals done by a professional - when we had our training it was a very short session and we never actually got to see a removal being carried out which I suppose is why I'm so clueless on it. I realise I'm inexperienced which is why I'm asking as I want to learn to do it correctly - I don't have a contact number or I'd be directly asking the lady who trained us, so SG was my next point of call.

It's the "Just Gel" polish and the removal instructions I was given were:

- Buff the gel to break the seal
- Apply gel remover to cotton pad, place over nail and wrap in foil
- Leave for 10 minutes, pull pad off firmly & peel away any remaining gel if it hasn't already all fallen away.

That's all I have to go on! Heat was never mentioned, is this where I'm going wrong? xx

If you were not taught removals, then your course was very poor not too, as removal of Enhancments is very important. I can't believe they showed you how to apply, but not how to remove. I think personally you need to go somewhere who will teach you properly.

You can get buff off gels, which obviously you need to file off. And then soak off Gels, which is what you're trying to do now.

Buff off's you start with a 100 grit to take the bulk off, then you go to a 180 grit when getting closer to the nail, then a 220, then a buffer when you are nearly on the nail plate to lightly buff off the last bit of gel. You will know the difference in amount of Gel left with how much dust comes off the nail plate! Sometimes if requested by the client, I will leave the very thin layer on the nail to grow out!

Don't forget to regularly use (2 x daily) a good quality cuticle oil like CND Solar Oil- it will help with the dehydration

I'm glad someone else mentioned this as this will probably be one of the main factors of dehydration. I notice this with my own nails if for some reason I haven't been so good with my solar oil!!

You could even after removal add some oil to soak in before reapplying just helps to rehydrate your nails a bit. (Just don't forget to remove the excess before reapplying your colour)

Once you sort out your removal procedure correctly and apply your solar oil or similar after a few weeks you will start to see an improvement in your nails regrowth. Though you will have to be patient and wait for it all to grow out before your nails are totally healthy again xx

@stephrae82 ---

I try to be a fair person .. "gel ruining the nails "is the title of this thread even though it is obviously not the gel ruining the nails... and then the gel is named.

I think it is only fair to defend a brand that is old and respected against students who have problems, and appear on the www to blame the brand ..

I accept from the posters own words that she was not intending to do that which is an end to the story. ..

Last edited:
Sorry, but I agree with Geeg

Personally, if OP did not do training on removal, then she should go find training for this, as it is an imporatnt step which could cause damage to the nail if not done properly.

No offense OP :) I hope you sort it out

Latest posts

Back