Gel Smile Lines

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roseblanc

Reaction score
Morning Ladies,

I know there are MANY topics on this, so sorry if you have to hear about it all over again.

I'm having insane difficulty lately with my smile lines when doing gel. I find they look faded and blended. I can never get a crisp smile line when I'm working with gel.

I've even tried the reverse application and it doesn't work so well because the gel shifts and my "would be" smile line is no more. Is it maybe because I'm doing the whole hand before putting it near the UV lamp? Should I be doing it one finger at a time (reverse sculpt pink, let nail sit for 30 secs in front of UV lamp, then do the gel white, let sit in front of lamp, then work the next nail, etc... wouldn't that take a crazy amount of time?) I'm using IBD. I've watched the YN tutorial over and over again.

I've searched and found a TON of acrylic tutorials, but my acrylic smile lines are fine. Can anyone point me to some more gel smile line tutorials or maybe tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Many thanks!

Try here:
Polished.ca I Contact Us

What is consistency of your white. If it's thin and runny, maybe that's why you are having problems with your smile lines.Then you should try one nail at a time

Hi hun what i do when uses gel is i have another brush that i use to swipe across the smile line and tidy it that way and i also freeze cure each nail for 10 secs to keep my nice crisp smile line in place HTH x

Hi hun what i do when uses gel is i have another brush that i use to swipe across the smile line and tidy it that way and i also freeze cure each nail for 10 secs to keep my nice crisp smile line in place HTH x

I think thats where my problem lies. I don't "freeze cure" each nail. I do however use a brush to swipe the smile line and clean it up. I did a quick gel nail (with a freeze cure) and uploaded the photo to my profile for you to take a quick look at. You can still see a fading / blending affect from the white gel to the red (I used red instead of pink to better show what I'm talking about).

http://www.salongeek.com/members/ro...s-fades-into-red-instead-being-nice-crisp.jpg

it doesnt take any longer to freeze cure each nail because whilst its in the lamp you can be working on the other hand and just keep swapping over until theyre all done.

if I don't flash cure it always runs for me too.. i am slow at nails from this i sometimes think

When doing gel p&w it is best to place the gel just above the smile line and gently tease it down onto the smile line this way you get a more crisp smile line.

To me, it looks like your gel is too runny. I would try to switch to a more "stiff" gel. Put the white in front of your brush, and make like an edge, then you get a crisp smile. It's very difficult to explain, you should get somebody to show you, then it would be very clear.

C.

top tip....NEVER EVER SWIPE!

Try and get it right first time.

Takes loads and loads of practise but it will come.:hug:

I use a Paint on White and i freeze cure each nail as im happy with it.

top tip....NEVER EVER SWIPE!
Amber, do you mean with white sculpting gel or POW?

I swipe my smiles when using both and don't have any cloudiness or shadowing, however, I do use a different brush that has no product on at all when swiping with white sculpting gel. If I need to swipe the smile when using POW I have another brush dampened with Scrubfresh.

Amber, do you mean with white sculpting gel or POW?

I swipe my smiles when using both and don't have any cloudiness or shadowing, however, I do use a different brush that has no product on at all when swiping with white sculpting gel. If I need to swipe the smile when using POW I have another brush dampened with Scrubfresh.

i only use pow.

I never do this:green: everytime i ever swiped i got 'cloudyness' so now....i get it right every time(after 5years hasten to add to anyone reading this) and can honestly say that i NEVER swipe!

it does look like the gel is rather runny as it seems to be slowly dropping/fading into the red. My tip is just as a few others have said, freeze cure. You could always go back and put on a second white coat too just to crispen it up and enhance the white some more. I use calgel which (imo) is on the runny side, and i have to do one nail at a time all the time, sometimes i can do 2 at a time, it depends on the clients nail size etc!!! hth x

I am guilty LOL I swipe...... Apply white POW, swipe with different brush, freeze cure 10 secs. alternating hands.......... I never get a shadow, I wipe the brush after each swipe.

If you take the sticky off of your base layer, it doesn't 'bleed'

I never have to swipe and I make the smile line with a very flat square brush using a thin paint on white out of a jar. I also freeze cure nail by nail.

Gina x

I got a tip from someone on here and that was to use a dotting tool for the whites, now I do this and freeze cure and my smiles are crisper without any faffing about.

I take it you don't get any separation over time with this method?
I thought gel stuck to 3 things
- primer
- a filed gel surface
- the inhibition layer

and that if I wiped of the inhibition layer I should refile so it could stick properly.

Interesting what you say. xx

I never have to swipe and I make the smile line with a very flat square brush using a thin paint on white out of a jar. I also freeze cure nail by nail.

Gina x

i use this method too, it works perfectly with the products i use.

I never get separation. I have always done gel nails like this.

Gina xx

Hi x I've found that depending what you prefer to use, dotting tool or brush, if you sit your tool just a little underneath your smile line and push up v v v gently, you can achieve a much more solid smile line. The product will collect at smile line and even itself out...??!! not sure if that makes sense. Apoligies if not, just know how frustrating it can be to achieve crisp, sharp line. I freeze cure too. Good luck x

Hi x I've found that depending what you prefer to use, dotting tool or brush, if you sit your tool just a little underneath your smile line and push up v v v gently, you can achieve a much more solid smile line. The product will collect at smile line and even itself out...??!! not sure if that makes sense. Apoligies if not, just know how frustrating it can be to achieve crisp, sharp line. I freeze cure too. Good luck x

I understand and I agree !!

Using more gel and pushing it to make the smile line helps make it more crisp.

Gina xx

Latest posts

Back