Gel Top Coat - Science question!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeahNails

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked before but I am unsure what to search for.

Its relating specifically to the top coat of gel polish, gelish, trugel etc. I realise these products are all similar in the sense that the top coat is resistant to acetone etc and needs to be 'broken' before soak off and so on.

A client is a health visitor and she has been told acrylic nails and nail varnish are not allowed as they 'harbour' germs, but gel is not mentioned.
I think this is an oversight rather than for a reason. She also feels this is just on someones say so to ban nail varnish rather based than on scientific fact due to how the memo was written. Is this correct? Do they really harbour more germs? I know acrylic can be porous so sort of see it if thats correct.

However my question relates to gel - in my non-scientific mind (excuse the laymans explanation) the gel top coats are resistant to acetone and have to be broken and therefore 'non porous'. So how can the gel top coat harbour more germs than your own finger nails? I know my fingernails are naturally very ridgy and would have though more likely to harbour germs (bleugh) than with gel polish? ( I really do wash my hands please dont think I've dirty nails!!!)

Can anyone enlighten me - She would like to challenge it but from a more technical point of view. Also if anyone can compare it to natural nails or acrylic also that would be great.

BTW she obsessively washes her hands so its not hygiene ha ha. Thanks in advance.

The real science behind why they ban it is:

If a nail coating lifts or has any ledge at all bacteria/ pathogens can not be cleaned completely from it..

Having nail coating encourage longer nails which are harder to clean under

Coatings can cover and hide pathogenic colonies

Whilst this is very sweeping, it is also very protective in ensuring less chance of cross contamination and infection
Nail enhancements are less porous than natural nails. But the sweeping rules still override this
logic - not all nail coatings can be perfectly applied therefore NONE may be applied ...

Hths

FYI gel IS acrylic. By that I mean they belong to the same family of chemicals (meth acrylates) So no acrylic (generic term for a particular type of polymerized plastic) means no liquid & powder and no gel...

The real science behind why they ban it is:

If a nail coating lifts or has any ledge at all bacteria/ pathogens can not be cleaned completely from it..

Having nail coating encourage longer nails which are harder to clean under

Coatings can cover and hide pathogenic colonies

Whilst this is very sweeping, it is also very protective in ensuring less chance of cross contamination and infection
Nail enhancements are less porous than natural nails. But the sweeping rules still override this
logic - not all nail coatings can be perfectly applied therefore NONE may be applied ...

Hths

FYI gel IS acrylic. By that I mean they belong to the same family of chemicals (meth acrylates) So no acrylic (generic term for a particular type of polymerized plastic) means no liquid & powder and no gel...

Thats interesting as they havent got an issue with longer nails? They have also banned leggings - I definitely dont get the logic on that one!

there is a very good bit in Doug schoons book about this , you shuld show her . x

Latest posts

Back