Gel topcoat questions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

min11

Reaction score
I have often wondered about the cost effectiveness of gel top coats if you dont actually offer gel as a service and already have the lamp. The salons I have been to that have done this dont charge any extra for it but they do offer gel as a service anyway so they have the lamps. I know that once I am working I will probably find it saves a lot of time but at the moment I enjoy by filing and buffing when I do it.

What happens if you do your gel topcaot, cure it and then see the line of light is dreadful or there are flaws a quick buff would sort out? Does the gel cover minor dips in the enhancement? Sorry if its a bit of a dim question but as I am sitting eyeing my Brisa kit every day I am finding I am having little questions popping into my head :lol:

I don't do L&P very much now but I loathe buffing to a shine so always use a gel topcoat.
It does hide minor blips but if your line of light is awful it just shows it more. If however you apply the topcoat and then put the fingers upside down for a few seconds it can make a world of difference. I cure for 10 secs like that and then full cure the right way up HTH

I tend to use a gel finishing gloss all the time over my l&p but only because I have a lot of clients who are very rough with their nails. I simply cannot persuade them to look after their enhancements and without a protective top coat they lose shine very quickly and become stained and dirty looking. Nothing wrong with the l&p I use, just people mucking out horses, slopping curry all over them, cleaning with bleach etc - all with no consideration for their hands :irked:

Don't know if any of you attended the CND finishing class at The Event in the breakout session and witnessed some of the new CND techniques but I have been amazed at the difference we are all experiencing back at the salon.

Finish, buff in solar oil with 1200 grit side of Koala, scrubfresh lightly, use Girlfriend 3 way buffer and FINALLY use miracle shine buffer.

Not only will you be amazed at the mirror-like finish, your buffers will now last days or weeks instead of hours!!!!!

Even if clients are very harsh on their nails, the perfect shine and seal will remain.

Don't know if any of you attended the CND finishing class at The Event in the breakout session and witnessed some of the new CND techniques but I have been amazed at the difference we are all experiencing back at the salon.

Finish, buff in solar oil with 1200 grit side of Koala, scrubfresh lightly, use Girlfriend 3 way buffer and FINALLY use miracle shine buffer.

Not only will you be amazed at the mirror-like finish, your buffers will now last days or weeks instead of hours!!!!!

Yes I did, I asked mainly out of curiosity as I wondered what happens when you don't see a good line of light. I was also curious how much time it actually saves by the time you cure both hands. As I say, I like my filing and buffing and the breakout class certainly helped to fuel that.

I met you there, in the foyer of the hotel I was the one commenting about everyone being Scottish, including my other half :lol:

Last edited:
I was also curious how much time it actually saves by the time you cure both hands.
I find that as one hand is curing (nails that is lol) I'm applying the Gloss to the other hand, then as the 2nd hand is curing I'm removing the inhibition layer and applying Solar Oil, by that time the 2nd hand is done... it takes no time at all to be honest (well ok, 2 minutes each hand lol) :D

Lol after Jen did 2 of my nails on the sunday with Brisa,
I was gobsmacked that acetone wouldnt remove the nail lol...
(I am sooo used to fluffy enhancements :lol:)

I sat before with the acetone practicing enamel smiles on nancy nail trainer and thought "ooooo should I??"
So I did :lol: wiped over my nails a couple of times with the acetone pad, and was looking at my nails like an amazed kid !!!
The shine just kept coming back lol...

How cool is that !!!! I know its an obvious " yeah duh Emm's" thing for some of you lol, but I really didn't know anything about gel..
So yup I am very impressed....

Sorry bit of a silly question i guess but what is this line of light thing? i've bin introduced to the top coat and i do use it. Just thought i'd ask incase i'm doing something wrong as i'm new to it.

Lol after Jen did 2 of my nails on the sunday with Brisa,
I was gobsmacked that acetone wouldnt remove the nail lol...
(I am sooo used to fluffy enhancements :lol:)

I sat before with the acetone practicing enamel smiles on nancy nail trainer and thought "ooooo should I??"
So I did :lol: wiped over my nails a couple of times with the acetone pad, and was looking at my nails like an amazed kid !!!
The shine just kept coming back lol...

How cool is that !!!! I know its an obvious " yeah duh Emm's" thing for some of you lol, but I really didn't know anything about gel..
So yup I am very impressed....

Don't know if you saw it but I did a thread a while back.

If before you adhere the tips to the nails you coat the underside of the tips with a very thin layer of gel (apart from contact area) then your nails are totally resistant to acetone, scrubfresh etc. HTH

If you still have lumps n bumps you havent finished the nail properly and gel top coat will show them up worse like putting pearl polish on ridges. Get back in there with a file then put the top coat on smooth nails.
I charge €3 for a gel top coat. its a good add on

Latest posts

Back