Gel vs acrylic?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeautyNerds

Reaction score
Nail geeks :

I currently use NSI balance gel which I personally love and do my own nails with.

I have some regular bread and butter clients for this.

HOWEVER...

I'm finding not every new potential client likes gel. Either they just want acrylic and don't want to try the gel or they try the gel and don't come back.

I take pride in all my sets and my regulars are very happy. When the post pictures of my nails they always get compliments.

Is it worth offering both nail products to my treatment menu? Iv found NSI do a conversion course from gel to acrylic?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you

Some gel overlay sets on there x

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    905.4 KB · Views: 219
Of course it's worth it, if you have clients asking for it and you can't provide it, they will go elsewhere, why let custom walk away when there is a simple solution :D

I'm a 'full service' tech, L&P, Gel, Silk/fibreglass, Shellac/Gel polish & Natural nail manicures, it was my aim when I first trained to be able to offer all types of treatments, I never wanted to say to someone 'sorry no I can't do that' :(

That said, I don't like Gel, I don't find it strong enough so 90% of my extension clients are L&P but I can do all systems if required.

Adding a new skill to your business will only enhance your worth - go for it

Nail geeks :

I currently use NSI balance gel which I personally love and do my own nails with.

I have some regular bread and butter clients for this.

HOWEVER...

I'm finding not every new potential client likes gel. Either they just want acrylic and don't want to try the gel or they try the gel and don't come back.

I take pride in all my sets and my regulars are very happy. When the post pictures of my nails they always get compliments.

Is it worth offering both nail products to my treatment menu? Iv found NSI do a conversion course from gel to acrylic?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you

I'm going to my local college open evening next week because I'm thinking of doing acrylic. All of my clients love gel but there are a few who's nails are very bendy (natrually) so acrylic would work alot better for them i think. Plus i love some of the designs they do in acrylic, which I've tried to do in gel but they are never quite the same .

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I'm thinking it's the way forward. There are dates for Nsi for January so I think il look at it then, gives time for practice as its quieter and would be a great time to put an introductory offer on for.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I'm thinking it's the way forward. There are dates for Nsi for January so I think il look at it then, gives time for practice as its quieter and would be a great time to put an introductory offer on for.

Great plan, January will be the perfect opportunity, good thinking. Let us know how you get on

I'm with trinity, I love my l&p x

If you are trained and qualified in gel, then you could look to do a one day conversion course in your chosen brand of acrylic...

I did gels with Harmony and conversion with CND acrylic..x

Sorry to jump on this post, I am about to enrol in an enhancement course, I can't afford to do both at the moment so have to choose either acrylic or gel. I was thinking gel as I personally prefer it over acrylic, my potential clients are pretty much 50/50 on what they use.
What would u recommend would be best for me to start with?
Tia xx

I learned gel first but found a lot of clients wanted acrylic and weren't prepared to try gel. So I learned acrylic and then had a lot more customers. I still have more for acrylic than gel even now. x

Thank you for replying ladies.
Nsi do a two day conversion course from gel To acrylic so iv already eyed yo the course.

I'd definitely recommend acrylic training, the new clients iv had in recently have all been acrylic wearers and just didn't like the gel or didn't come back.

I definitely think both Sioux be avliable

I recently did l&p and have been told by many techs that if you can master l&p you can master anything so it's a good skill to have imo :) xx

What does l&p stand for? I must sound so stupid

Glad you asked Sophia I never heard of it but I'm not English.
My guess. .. l= liquid & P = powder :rolleyes:....good be totally wrong though :confused:

Of course it's worth it, if you have clients asking for it and you can't provide it, they will go elsewhere, why let custom walk away when there is a simple solution :D

I'm a 'full service' tech, L&P, Gel, Silk/fibreglass, Shellac/Gel polish & Natural nail manicures, it was my aim when I first trained to be able to offer all types of treatments, I never wanted to say to someone 'sorry no I can't do that' :(

That said, I don't like Gel, I don't find it strong enough so 90% of my extension clients are L&P but I can do all systems if required.

Adding a new skill to your business will only enhance your worth - go for it

Thank you for the guidance in this thread, especially this one.
I am qualified and a CND Master Painter. But I never wanted to train in enhancements as I wanted to work with the clients natural nails.
However I now want to add a system to my portfolio and I have been having the Gel v Acrylic argument with myself for a long time. I had decided on Brisa Lite training as I wanted a soak off system, but that's being discontinued.
After reading this thread I think L &P might be the route to take. I also want to offer enhancements for all genders, and I think L&P may be better due to its strength.
Am I right in thinking that L&P is the best for 3D nail art?

Last edited:

L&p stands for Liquid & Powder, 'acrylic' is a family of plastics to which all nail enhancements belong to (gel is a type of acrylic), we, as the professionals need to be educating our clients with the correct terms so they are well informed and confident in our knowledge and skills

[QUOTE="Pashaboutnails, post: 2447529, member: 89541]
Am I right in thinking that L&P is the best for 3D nail art?[/QUOTE]

I don't do 3D but yes L&P for things like roses, you can use gel for things like the knitted jumper effect

[QUOTE="Pashaboutnails, post: 2447529, member: 89541]
Am I right in thinking that L&P is the best for 3D nail art?

I don't do 3D but yes L&P for things like roses, you can use gel for things like the knitted jumper effect[/QUOTE]

Thank you. I thought I had made a decision but I have dry sensitive skin, have allergies and get chronic migraines from some chemicals. As I am mainly mobile, I was thinking Brisa Gel may be best. The L&P course is a lot of money to waste if I find I can't use it. Decisions???

I don't do 3D but yes L&P for things like roses, you can use gel for things like the knitted jumper effect

Thank you. I thought I had made a decision but I have dry sensitive skin, have allergies and get chronic migraines from some chemicals. As I am mainly mobile, I was thinking Brisa Gel may be best. The L&P course is a lot of money to waste if I find I can't use it. Decisions???[/QUOTE]

I used to get headaches when I first started training, but when I did a 1-2-1 my tutor pointed out that I sat leaning over the nails I was doing and subsequently over my full dappen dish of monomer breathing in nothing but monomer vapours, holding my breath whilst concentrating AND I hunched my shoulders with concentration - what a pretty picture I must have looked! :p:confused:. He said it wasn't uncommon, as I was so deperate to see what I was doing and do a good job I wasn't relaxed :rolleyes:

When I learned to sit back, not inhale the vapours, and drop my shoulders to reduce the tension my headaches went away. With CND training you are taught to minimise the vapours (no wiping, metal bin, dappen dish with a lid, etc.) so that will certainly help.

Allergies obviously are a whole different kettle of fish and entirely individual, you can't prevent it, but you can certainly minimise your risks by not touching uncured product, being sure you keep you brush pointing downward so no monomer can travel up the handle (we saw of lot of this in training), etc. but only you know what you can and can't do.

Don't exclude it from your investigations, but do your research, some cheaper products have a worse reputation for allergic reactions. Yes CND maybe more expensive but you can't put a price on your health.

Latest posts

Back