Gel with French tips-problems

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Do-it-all Deb

Reaction score
I did my first set of french white tips with a transclucent pink overlay today. I use calgel and there's no info on this in the workbook.

We were told to blend tips when using gel because it isn't as forgiving as acrylic, but on blending the tip it wasn't then the solid white. Then I layered the pink over but realised it discoloured the white tip. I then had to apply two coats of white over the tip to cover the pink which completely defeated the point of using the white tip.

I didn't want to use just clear as I'm finding it disclours or yellows slightly and therefore some sort of colour is preferable. I got myself in a real pickle and took over three hours to do the set :mad: . thank goodness it was on a friend!!!

Any help much appreciated girls!

If using a white tip for gel you just have to file lightly with a soft file over the entire tip. If you blend in the tip you loose your smile line and the look of the bright white. For gels you have to do this as gels wont stick to shinny surfaces. Have you considered using the clear gel over the tip curing, then applying the pink over the nail bed and curing again. I havent worked with Cagel so cant help too much but I have no probs with discolouring using Akzentz gel range. Hope you solve the prob.:)

Hi there,

As Alex said you do not need to blend white tips but with need to remove the shine from them.

If you are using a product that discolours or yellows I would consider whether to continue using it personally. A good quality gel should not yellow or discolour (I use Young Nails & Akzentz with no probs).

To conquer you pink gel prob - just apply the pink from the cuticle up to the smile line then apply clear from cuticle to free edge.
Hope this helps x

Thanks so far, that all helps. I struggle a little myself with my choice of gel, but my reasoning is that it must soak off and have a range of colours, which I use on toe overlays. I have only come across Calgel and Bio-sculpture and made my choice from those. Are there any others that fit these requirements?

Akzentz do a clear soak off gel called Options which is great - doesn't yellow or discolour, is strong, self levels & is very shiny! They don't do coloured gels as yet but you could use it for your clears? Call Karen at Nails Plus Beauty on 01273 677993, they do a small pot for about £10 which you could try out first.

Isnt IBD a soak of gel then????

No, IBD needs to be buffed off.

Having applied my not so wonderful gel set yesterday, I have now seen my friend today and one of the tips has ripped away at the side :cry: .

She had previously had an acrylic set with no major problems and I know she is careful with her nails. Is this because the weight of the tip is too great to be held down by the gel? We were told during training that tips needed to be applied quite a long way down so that this wouldn't happen. Are french tips no good with gel overlays? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I personally wouldn't think it had anything to do with using a french tip instead of natural?

Tips are not there for strength anyway, just length & shape. The strength is the bond between the nat. nail & product so the more nat.nail exposed to product the better the bond.

Maybe they were too long & she caught it on something?

More than likely there was not enough gel applied to the nails and/or not enough in the stress area. If they are too thin they will break.

Laura

Do-it-all Deb said:
Having applied my not so wonderful gel set yesterday, I have now seen my friend today and one of the tips has ripped away at the side :cry: .

She had previously had an acrylic set with no major problems and I know she is careful with her nails. Is this because the weight of the tip is too great to be held down by the gel? We were told during training that tips needed to be applied quite a long way down so that this wouldn't happen. Are french tips no good with gel overlays? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

It is not the weight of the tip but rather the pressure the tip is under.

I think the thing you have to realize is that there is GEl and there is gel. A soak off gel of any type is not as strong as a non-soak off gel (of any type) and I think you are asking too much of a system that is really mainly meant for natural nail overlays to support a french tip that is hanging on by a thread. 'Horses for courses' use the right system for the job. You need more strength over zone 2 than your your soak off gel can supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back