gel worries

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angel fingers

Reaction score
i'm fairly new to gel nails, but have been getting good results with no problems. to date all my gel work has been new sets and infills on them. i have not yet got to the point where clients have grown off there tips and are having gel overlaid on to the natural nail. today i had a new client who has come to me for the first time. she has been having her nails done at a gym where she pays £32 for a fill and french gel finish every 10 to 14 days and getting a pretty mediocre job. this is very expensive in our area. her own nails were quite long and she was complaining thet dirt was getting trapped between gel and nail . i said that this was caused by the natural nail curling as it dried out with age[ i hope this was correct], pulling it away from the gel, leaving a crevice for dirt to enter. it looked to me as if the gel had been bodged back together at the tip and resealed with muck still in it. she didnt want a new set with tips as she doesnt like the look of the back when the tips are growing out. so what i did was reduce the length a fair bit to get rid of the curly muck crevice business :rolleyes: and carry on with my application as i normally would for a french fill. i was careful at the freeedge and i hope i have sealed everything as far as possible. trouble is as i have never done it before, i am now pooping myself worrying over whether i have done it right. if she rings me up with problems in a couple of days i want to know how to sort it so it doesnt happen again.

Sounds like you did all the right things! Short of removing everything and starting again.

The nail won't curl away again if you make sure you catch it at the sides and free edge every time you do your maintenance. Just be careful you don't file through the seal again when you finish the nails off!!

geeg said:
Sounds like you did all the right things! Short of removing everything and starting again.

The nail won't curl away again if you make sure you catch it at the sides and free edge every time you do your maintenance. Just be careful you don't file through the seal again when you finish the nails off!!

big sigh of relief !! what i am still unsure of is how much product needs to seal the edges. does it need to be barely perceivable or are we looking for a 'border' of say 1mm or what ? :confused:

Latest posts

Back