SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samconstable

Reaction score
Hi girls, I’m newly trained in acrylic but have been doing gel polish for years. In my training they said I could put gel over acrylic to finish it off. I’ve found a top coat is fine, but if I apply colour is either wrinkles or peels off within a couple of hours. I’ve read a few threads and have tried:
Applying the coats thinner
Using a base coat (and not using one!)
Leaving the nail extra rough (and smoothing with a buffer)

I’m really not sure where I’m going wrong and could really to with some help! I’m using Halo Acrylic and Halo Gel Polish

It could be issues with the lamp. For example: the lamp is not compatible with the gel polish. In case of UV Light, perhaps the bulbs need replacing. The client didn't have her hand in correctly, and therefore the product didn't cure correctly.

I agree, I got rid of my UV lamp. They are sooo slow curing gel and gel colors. LED lights are super quick and cure colors properly. 3 minutes using UV, verses 1 minute LED. What a time saver. (I use CND's LED light)

I understand what you’re saying and appreciate your replies but I have a brand new LED lamp. And it cures fine when on the normal nail, it’s only acrylic that creases. And it’s been more than one client so I can’t imagine they all coincidently didn’t have their hand in there properly, it’s also happened to me!

Just a thought .... (although I'm qualified in L&P I don't offer it anymore so my knowledge is rusty and I'm sure this is obvious, so apologies in advance!) - there's not any cuticle oil on the nails or cuticles when you're applying the gel polish is there?

Just a thought .... (although I'm qualified in L&P I don't offer it anymore so my knowledge is rusty and I'm sure this is obvious, so apologies in advance!) - there's not any cuticle oil on the nails or cuticles when you're applying the gel polish is there?
Thank you, but unfortunately there’s not! I don’t do the cuticle oil until we are completely finished!

I understand what you’re saying and appreciate your replies but I have a brand new LED lamp. And it cures fine when on the normal nail, it’s only acrylic that creases. And it’s been more than one client so I can’t imagine they all coincidently didn’t have their hand in there properly, it’s also happened to me!

If its more than one client its either product, lamp or application

Is it the same colour always causing the problem?
What lamp are you using?
Have uou tried contacting your tutor gor actual product based assistance?

If its more than one client its either product, lamp or application

Is it the same colour always causing the problem?
What lamp are you using?
Have uou tried contacting your tutor gor actual product based assistance?

Thank you! No it’s not always the same colours and the lamp is fine on normal gel polish application. So I think it is probably the product. I haven’t contacted the manufacturer yet but I will try that, thank you, I did email my tutor but no response so thought I’d try on here! Glad I did!

Thank you! No it’s not always the same colours and the lamp is fine on normal gel polish application. So I think it is probably the product. I haven’t contacted the manufacturer yet but I will try that, thank you, I did email my tutor but no response so thought I’d try on here! Glad I did!

When you speak to the supplier/tutor have specifics to hand:-
What lamp, cure times, etc.
Which colours to wrinkle, which ones don't
Specifically does one colour wrinkle on L&P but not on natural nail, or vice versa
your answers have been pretty vague to us, being more specific with replies to the supplier/tutor will help them narrow down any solutions/issues saving you and them time

Last edited:
When I apply gellux over acrylics,I rough the surface up a bit so not smooth,wipe with prep to remove any dust or oils,THEN I apply a coat of fast bond,before two thin coats of colour and top coat.....if I don't apply the fast bond,they peel off in hours!! [emoji16]

Can you confirm the steps you take between finishing L&P application and applying the gel polish?

Latest posts

Back