Gel?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Welsh Geek

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me why my Lovely Brisa Gel is going thick????
I've only used it twice.... I have kept it away from the UV light and replaced the lids immediately after each use. I do have halogen lighting in the salon, so wondered if this could affect it.
Is anyone else having the same problem???
Is this a regular thing with Gels....I've not used Gels previously, so maybe I'm doing something wrong, But when I put my brush into my Gel today, I could hardly move it through the gel, compared with its first use a couple of days ago,where the consistency was lovely and smooth!!

Please help, Tell me what I'm doing wrong before it goes totally hard!!!!

Sue ( Hopeless Geek!)

Hi.

As far as I can make out Halogen bulbs don't emit UV light so they cannot be responsible.

I have used a halogen desk light for 2 years and I leave the lids off my gels whilst I work.

Sound like you have a bad batch or something. Get it changed and see if ti happens again.

Gel can change consistency with temperature, the warmer it is the runnier it is & the colder it is the harder it is so could it be this?? Was it colder today than the other day??

I have been told Halogen can start to cure the gels (?)

Found a snippet of relevant info.

""Myth #4: Halogen is an ultraviolet radiation (UV) hazard.
False and true, mostly false. A standard incandescent lamp emits about 75 micro watts per lumen(µW/lm) of UV, and unshielded halogen emits 100- 200 µW/lm. (Compare this to daylight, which emits 300 - 600 µW/lm!) However Underwriters Laboratories now requires halogen lamps and/or fixtures to incorporate a glass shield that brings the UV emissions down to a negligible level. For example, an MR16 with a cover glass takes over 30 times as long to emit the same amount of UV as an MR16 without a cover glass.""

Basically you would have to have like 50 unsheilded ( no glass) halogen lights to fill a room with the same UV as a window!!

So you can rule Halogen out.

Hmmmm, that's interesting!! Maybe Doug could comment??

Jade x

I also work by a window.... but have still tried to shield my product as I've been using it.... Could it be daylight that is affecting it...

I have three sets of four halogens..
Sue

sue4d777 said:
Can anyone tell me why my Lovely Brisa Gel is going thick????
I've only used it twice.... I have kept it away from the UV light and replaced the s immediately after each use. I do have halogen lighting in the salon, so wondered if this could affect it.
Is anyone else having the same problem???
Is this a regular thing with Gels....I've not used Gels previously, so maybe I'm doing something wrong, But when I put my brush into my Gel today, I could hardly move it through the gel, compared with its first use a couple of days ago,where the consistency was lovely and smooth!!

Please help, Tell me what I'm doing wrong before it goes totally hard!!!!

Sue ( Hopeless Geek!)

Pinkies advise about temperature is the likely cause or else, the gel has been exposed to UV light.

I'm quite sure it will not be a 'bad' batch!!!

All of the UK is working from the same batch and we are not having any problems. Chances are it has been exposed to UV light as simply having a bad batch could not cause it to cure/thicken. If you expose it to any UV light (full specturm bulbs, sunlight) it will start to thicken and cure.

Hope this helps

Brisa can sort of half cure when exposed to a table lamp. Mine has hardened from my table lamp being to close to the jars while I was working, make sure to move your light away from the jars, and especially away from any sunlight. I've also had it half cure on top of my paraffin when I left if on there to long to warm it up. Just remove the cured product.

Just a thought!

Hey I'm actually talking, what do ya know!
Rachel :o
Blissfulnailz

Only if your table lamp if full spectrum (natural light) as it contains UV light.

Mmmmm what do ya know, I know I bought it at Ikea.
:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back