Gelac instructions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucyboo

Reaction score
Laura from graftons rang mr after I emailed about how disappointed I was in gelac not lasting past 4 days. I went through how I applied the product & the problem seems to be that I'm using a jett 5000 lamp & gelac needs a 36 watt to cure it, still to try it out but she also emailed me the full instructions so if it's ok I'll share it with you x

GELAC APPLICATIONS STEPS – APRIL 2011
Using NEW gelac BASE COAT (“Bonding Base Coat”)
To achieve maximum results you must use the complete Gelac system and apply as directed below. Gelac products are not designed to be compatible with other systems.
STEP 1 ibd gelac Nail Prep
Perform a dry manicure. If you are incorporating the gelac system into a manicure or pedicure treatment make sure any exfoliating and moisturising massage happens after the polish application. This is to make sure no moisture is added to the nails before the gelac application.
1. Remove all rings and bracelets. Spray your client’s hands with hand sanitizers, we recommend ibd Nail Prep.
2. Shape the nail with a 180 grit file. We recommend either the ibd Emerald, Black or White padded files.
3. Remove cuticle from the nail plate with an ibd Two-Sided Cuticle Pusher.
4. Remove the shine from the nail plate using a 240 grit white buffing block and remove dust with a nail wipe. Make sure you do not touch the nail with your finger after this process.
5. Apply ibd gelac Nail Prep onto ALL 10 nail plates and allow to fully dry before applying a second coat.
(base, polish and topcoat steps should be done separately)
STEP 2 ibd gelac NEW Bonding Base Coat
1. Apply the ibd Bonding Base Coat in a thin layer as you would with traditional polish. Make sure all the nail plate is covered and the free edge capped, avoiding the sidewalls and cuticles. If polish has touched the cuticle, remove prior to curing the nail by using ibd gelac Gel Cleanser and an orangewood stick.
2. Apply to 4 fingers on one hand and cure under a 36 watt lamp for 1 minute (we recommend ibd Jet Elite Lamp). If you have a client that has had experience of product lifting on their nails, the base coat can be cured for up to 3 minutes.
3. Repeat process on 4 fingers on the second hand.

STEP 3 ibd gelac UV Gel Polish
The formulation of the UV polish is a gel with heavy colour pigmentation. Before any application it is important to shake the product vigorously. There are two ball bearings within the polish that when shaken you will hear mixing within the bottle. Please also note that gels will become very thick in viscosity if left in extreme cold temperature. To get the product to the right consistency warm the bottle in your hands.
1. Apply one very thin coat of colour to 4 fingers on the first hand, working it into the sticky layer left from the Bonding Base Coat (this will avoid the polish spreading on the nail plate), ensuring to cap the free edge. (If applied correctly, this layer will be slightly semi sheer).
2. Cure for 2 minutes.
3. Repeat process on 4 fingers on the second hand.
4. Now apply the second coat of polish, remove the applicator brush from the bottle and wipe one side against the bottles neck to remove excess product from the brush. This coat provides full coverage when using an opaque colour.
5. Apply a thin coat to 4 fingers on the first hand covering from cuticle to tip, making sure to keep polish off the cuticle.
6. Cure for 2 minutes.
7. Repeat process on 4 fingers on the second hand.
STEP 4 ibd gelac Top Coat
1. Roll the bottle between hands to blend.
2. Apply one thin layer of ibd gelac Top Coat to all 4 nails on the first hand covering from the cuticle to the free edge, ensuring to wipe one side of the brush against the bottles neck to remove excess product from the brush.
The top coat acts as a seal for the colour and it is therefore important to cover all of the nail plate and free edge, to avoiding lifting or chipping.
3. Cure all 4 nails for 3 minutes under 36 watt UV Lamp.
4. Repeat the process on the 4 fingers on the second hand.
STEP 5 ibd gelac Gel Cleanser
Before cleansing the nail, leave for 30 seconds to allow heat to disperse. If time is not allowed for heat to disperse it will cause the nails to dull.
1. Saturate an ibd Nail Wipe with ibd gelac Gel Cleanser. Make sure you use saturated wipe immediately because the cleanser will evaporate.
2. Lightly wipe away the top gel film (this is the sticky inhibition layer) using one sweep from cuticle to free edge. (You may see a very tiny speck of Gel on the wipe, this is normal).
CAUTION: do not re-wipe the nail with a used portion of the nail wipe, as it will re-distribute the film causing dulling to the top coat.
3. Use a clean saturated Nail Wipe for each finger, and repeat.
NOTE if using a dark shade and your lamp is not 36 watt, the cure time will be 3 minutes, not 2.
***NOW REPEAT STEPS 2-5 ON THUMB NAILS***

FRENCH MANICURE
STEP 1 and STEP 2 as above
STEP 3 Pink French Application
1. Shake the colour vigorously before using.
2. Start with a colour coat in sheer pink colour (not a white tip): we suggest ibd gelac UV Gel Polish in Pink Wink. Apply one thin layer of pink polish to the nail surface from the cuticle to the free edge of all 4 nails on the first hand working it into the sticky layer of the Base Coat.
Be sure to cap the free edge to ensure long wear.
3. Cure all 4 nails for two minutes in ibd Jet Elite 36 Watt Lamp.
4. Repeat on 4 fingers on the second hand.
White Tip French Application
1. Shake the Colour Vigorously before using.
2. Apply a thin colour coat in white (we recommend ibd gelac UV Gel Polish Snowfall) to the tips of the first 4 nails over the cured pink colour creating an arched smile line.
3. Reapply a second coat of white. Note white is the most heavily pigmented colour, if applied too thick it will not cure, it will also leave the nails looking bulky at the free edge.
4. Place all 4 fingers in the 36 watt UV Lamp and cure for 2 minutes.
5. Repeat the process on the 4 fingers on the second hand.
6. Thumbs are to be done last. Make sure you press thumbs flat to the base of the lamp to ensure even curing. Once the thumbs are cured, follow Step 4 & 5 for the Top Coat and Cleanse.

APPLYING IBD GELAC TO ARTIFICAL NAILS
(including Gel, Acrylic and Soak Off Gel)
ibd gelac polish can be applied to both natural nails and artificial enhancements.
STEP 1 Apply your artificial product under the brand guidelines of the product you have chosen to use.
STEP 2 Nail preparation
1. Shape the nail with a 180 grit file. We recommend either the ibd Emerald, Black or White padded file.
2. Spray your clients hands with hand sanitizers, we recommend ibd Nail Prep.
3. Remove the shine from the artificial nail plate using a 240 grit white buffing block and remove dust with a nail wipe. Make sure you do not touch the nail with your finger after this process.
4. There is no need to use ibd gelac Base coat.
STEP 3 ibd gelac UV Polish Application – as above.
STEP 4 ibd gelac Top Coat Application – as above.
STEP 5 ibd gelac Finish Application with Gelac Cleanser – as above.

REMOVAL
1. Ask your client to wash their hands with liquid soap and warm water and towel dry.
2. Remove high shine of the gelac, ensuring to break the seal with a file.
3. Saturate a Nail Wipe with ibd gelac Gel Remover and place on top of the nail. Apply and secure foil under the finger and over the top making sure to cover the nail wipe. Leave for 10 minutes.
5. Grip each finger and apply slight pressure to the fingernail.
6. Use a twisting motion to pull the nail wipe and product from the fingernail. If a significant amount of the polish remains on the nail due to extended wear, rewrap the nail and allow Gelac Remover to penetrate for a few more minutes.
7. Finish by carrying out a mini manicure to make sure moisture is put back into the natural nails.

Hope this helps x

hmmm you know how i was saying i had it on and was lasting well. i do all the above use a 36 watt lamp and i think i had it on 4 days without chipping. 5th day one started to chip at end and by 6th day loads were chipping, wont be trying it again im wasting my time.

I'm going to give it this one last go then see if I can get my money back & invest in an alternative system x

I had somebody come in and show me there nails today. They were done in Tuesday and still look good but it is only 4 days. However they last fab on toes so if the fingers chip think I'm gonna do gelac pedicures for £ 35 to hopefully get some of the money back! So hope it lasts x

mine were fine on nails for 4 on the 5th chipped a tiny bit bit by the week were chipped all over. when ment to last 2 weeks i think its a joke. i have just got mani q polish in to try that one this weekend.

Latest posts

Back