Gelish and tips

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vintagewife

Reaction score
Hiya :)

I just wanted to pick some nail technician's brains, if I may please.

I am a qualified nail technician, but haven't done it for a few years and don't intend to get back into it...BUT, just over a week ago I went and had my nails done at a local salon.

I asked for a full set of gel and wanted them painting afterwards, I know a lot of places advertise full set of gel or acrylic and have shellac/gelish on top. So when I read the price list on their website and it said Gel with tips and gelish, I assumed that I was getting just that.

The girl prepped my nails etc and all was going how I remember doing it, she shaped in oval like it asked and put primer on...this is when I got confused!

She just put on the base coat of gelish then 2 coats of my chosen colour and the top coat, that was it...no gel for structure or strength. I didn't say anything, as I assumed they knew what they were doing and as I haven't kept up with the latest nail trends, who was I to question the methods?

This cost me £35...4 days later 3 came off completely and left my own nails quite sore. I rang up and went back in last Friday, and she said it was me being rough with them (I'm not!) anyway the manager said she wouldn't charge me and that was that.

Yesterday (Sunday) my thumb nail snapped off and today one of my other nails the gelish is still on but the tip has snapped off!

Needless to say, I won't be going back there, and will be cancelling my appointment for two weeks, I will tell them then why I won't be going back.:evil:

I'm going to soak off the nails that are left as they are snapping along the tip (I would think this is because there is no gel there for strength-please correct me if I'm wrong!)

Anyway I would love to hear your opinions, and whether how I had my nails done is the right way and do you have any recommendations for nail technicians in the West Yorkshire area please?!

Thanks for reading this epically long post :zzz:

Hang on...they seriously tipped your nails and merely gelished on top? :O no that would not last and no that's not how it's done! I'm truly gobsmacked! Xx

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

Yep! That's exactly what they did!

I once tried that on myself as a quick fix for a christening.....it does not work!!!!!wouldnt dream of doing it on a client!!!! I had to literally avoid doing anything as the tips were bendy and made my nails quite sore!!!!
I would ring them and complain as this should not be done xx

That's terrible, talk about cutting corners. They must lose a lot of clients as I can't imagine many going back!

Because of the lack of strength the tips must have been stressed and 'tugging' up on your nail plate every time you put pressure on them - ouch!
I've tipped nails with Calgel and then Gelish and they're stronger but still need to be careful, not as strong as l&p.
I'd go back and have a chat with the manager saying you know what Gelish is and it's a polish not an enhancement system. She may not have been aware of what the nail tech was doing....?

Thanks lovelies.

My nails are extremely sore and thin, I actually cried last night as they have never been so bad and when I touch anything I'm in agony :( I have plasters on most of my nails....I suffer from severe anxiety so confrontation is a no go for me, but hubby is going to complain to the manager...I've basically got totally and utterly ruined and wrecked nails :(

Would anyone have any advise on how to approach the subject with the manager/owner?

Thanks x

I wouldn't go for confrontation. I'd go for a 'quiet word' with the approach that the manager may be unaware. Some managers don't know everything about what the therapists are doing. Is she does know then she will still get the message.
Regarding your nails, I feel your pain! I've been at college and tried/modelled everything and mine have been wrecked but I'm on a mission now to fix them. I have vertical splits, flaking, thin nails that are awful to look at. I really want to have nails that show off my work but they're a long way off yet. But I've overlaid them with clear gel, extended beyond the tips slightly on the split nails with fibreglass and then applied Gelish. I use cuticle oil all day too. Work in progress. The beauty of nails is that they grow, don't despair, all problems can be fixed by someone who cares about your nails. X

I would also say to the salon that you will be contacting nail harmony as they are misusing their product as you should not apply gelish over tips. Yes people do it with structure gel and yes I have done it on myself for a night out but never ever on a client! X

I've noticed some salons offer this as "party nails" which are intended to last for one night, but charge about £20 and u can get them removed the next day for that. I still wouldn't recommend it though as you've noticed it's not good for your nails as they snap where they've been blended which damages your natural nails. x

Latest posts

Back