Gelish at sallys for sale to the public!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is technically the same company so not sure how much say they would have here. The trade only stores should be ok apart from borrowed cards but not sure about the ones who are open to trade and public. :irked:

It is technically the same company so not sure how much say they would have here. The trade only stores should be ok apart from borrowed cards but not sure about the ones who are open to trade and public. :irked:

I'm thinking of testing mine out soon. I've never bothered getting a trade card so wont have one to show!! xxx

The problem with their "sale only to pros" bit is that it is up to the minimum wage employee to determine who is a pro and who is not. This would bother me if I was a gelish pro tech who spent hours and dollars on training. Bad call Sally's... Bad call.

I remember when Sally's use to sell CND maintenance products. It has since been pulled and no longer sold by Sally's.... But I thought that as a kick n the teeth as well. If you don't do nails... Don't sell pro products. It's the same as prescriptions being sold over the counter... In my opinion.

It sucks, but there will always be people in the world who dont want to pay a pro to do their waxing/nails/tinting/hair etc

when i see videos on youtube like "how to do your own gel nails at home" with hundreds of thousands of views, it drives me bonkers. but i remind myself that people come to me because of my talent. someone using gelish at home will most likely not get the same results as a tech anyways.

I went into Sally's by me today and the guy told me it will be on the shelf tomorrow morning ...guess there has been a huge interest in it here too :( However i do think people will be put off because the reality is it isn't cheap to have everything u need ( unless they are nail techs )

I will be there in the morning checking things out so i will let you all know what the scoop is here. I know they are selling the Mini bottles of color for $16.95 for 3oz bottle!

I do think tho that it will be handy if i run out of cleanser or remover.

I checked into this issue on sally's website and they are selling gelish to anyone. For $++++ .3 oz bottles or $++++ with a beauty club card (their discounts membership which is $5 a year anyone can purchase). Maybe it is an error with the site permissions or whatnot but for now anyone can buy it. They also sell CND but you have to log in with a 'pro card' to purchase and they do not list the price.
I do understand how it much feel to invest money and training into a product that anyone can purchase. But I'm still not convinced that it will have a negative effect on the professional business.
This is very interesting to me what are your thoughts.

Last edited:
I went in to a sallys branch in edinburgh the other day and enquired about the price of Gelish. The girl was more than happy to tell me (and to tell me its included in vat free days) without asking if I had a trade card. I thought the prices weren't meant to be available to the public?

Nail Harmony have said that the agreement with Sallys/Salon Services is that Gelish will only be sold to professionals with trade cards.

The problem with a Sally Trade Card is it does not specify what trade you are in. So I as, a nail professional, could purchase hair, waxing, beauty etc. products. Obviously hairdressers, waxers and beauty professonals will be able to purchase Gelish.

I think whatever has happened in the States will happen here in the UK, so I expect to see those natty little kits with the small LED lamp in Sally UK some time soon. Perfect for the DIYer.

Ok just back from my local Sallys ....yes they are selling Gelish to the public that means anyone can get it ...I have to say tho the choice is 18 colors only and they are the tiny bottles 3oz size and beleive me they are tiny ..selling at $xx.xx per bottle. I don't think this is gonna have a huge effect on Nail techs losing clients ...the public will have to spend a heck of a lot of money to get a full kit, to be honest i think it will be a mad rush for some but then it will be like anyother pro product it will always be a better choice to the public to go to thier Nail Tech or Nail Salon to get the real job done and without a huge outlay.

Im not worried about it after seeing what they have. Very small choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lets be very clear about this. The total price for a "starter kit" that includes The Gelish Basix Kit (Mini Gelish Ph Bond, Mini Gelish Foundation, Mini Gelish Top It Off, Mini Gelish Nourish, Mini Gelish Cleanser, and Mini Gelish Artificial Nail Remover), one Gelish color gel and the new $xx.xx UV lamp is only $xx.xx - approximately the price of two visits to their nail salon.

A consumer does not need to buy all the colors. They will be happy to buy one color at a time or they will split the cost of the kit among their girlfriends and buy the color they want that month for just $xx.xx. Sharing is easy because they only need the Kit for a few hours every 2 to 3 weeks.

Hairdressers, beauticians and make-up artists would be happy to buy more or all colors because they can then sell a new service to their clients. A service which takes little time to learn and for which they can watch application videos on the new website www.gelishminis.com

Reading the BeautyTech Dedicated to Educate and Decorate forum and the comments above, it is clear that many people believe that consumers will be able to purchase Gelish at Sally Beauty. Even if a particular store does ask for a Trade Card, the card does not to my knowledge state the occupation of the holder and therefore the products can still be purchased by other members of the beauty profession who are not qualified nail technicians.

All the posts here have been concerned with one issue - if they will lose business or not. Ask yourself, if in this hard economy I can buy a kit for under $xx and this will allow me to save $xx every month on having my nails done and the hassle of driving to/from the salon - would I do it?

But there is another reason to be concerned, and that is a public safety issue. The plain fact is that Gelish is a professional product. Professional nail products contain chemical ingredients that can damage health unless used as advised by the manufacturer. In particular the risk of developing an allergy due to overexposure. For that reason every bottle has on it's label "For Professional Use Only" and a list of ingredients. In Europe it is also law that the packaging must contain the Safety and Risk precautions. This information has to be in the local language where sold and is provided for medical staff in the event of a health issue.

Sally's does sell other professional nail products. But these require the consumer, hairdresser etc to learn to sculpt nails and few will have the dedication or commitment to do this. On the other hand, anyone can learn to apply gel polish in a few hours. The results may not be perfect, but they can watch video's on the Mini Gelish website or visit forums like this and read posts that answer similar questions.

Apart from the obvious, let me explain why you as a nail tech should be concerned that untrained people are able to buy professional products. I have been told by the editor of the Swedish nail magazine that when gel was first introduced to the US, one company started to sell it to consumers via home-party's. The result was a significant increase in the number of these users developing allergies, to the extent that gel got a very bad reputation. According to the editor who was living in the US at the time, it took another 10 years before the manufacturers were able to re-introduce gel to the market.

What if history repeated itself, but this time consumers developed allergies because of incorrect application of gel polish? Sales of the gel polish would drop, but also the bad reputation would motivate fewer people to visit nail salons. Perhaps salons who made nails with acrylic could continue, but the irony is that most of the salons using acrylic in the US and UK are the low cost salons.

I have met a number of people who have developed allergies through the incorrect use of gel, often it seems to me as a result from picking up sticky jars without wearing gloves. Other than the advice to remove excess Gelish from the skin, there is no advice regarding safe handling or the risks of overexposure on the Gelish Minis website that I can find.

There is a more full discussion on the Beauty Tech website:
BeautyTech.com :: View topic - Hand and Nail Harmony

That mini Gelish video was so STUPID!
feel like Ive been robbed for several minutes of my life !

1) i is otaly aimed at the DIY'ER there is no hand model , the lady shows her self applying to her self , even filling her own nails ,

2) The "LED" light it had no back on it she said "make sure nails are under the light" while showing her middle finger poking out of the light ! WTF?

3) she says cure the color coat for 2-3 Minuit's ? but they will remain tacky ,
so witch is it ? 2 or 3 minutes ? it would be near imposable for a fully trained pro to hazard a guess let alone a DIY'ER !

4) She says remove uncured gelish from the skin before curing .... while she shows removing it with an orange wood stick ....sure its not sticky or anything is it?

the "LED" light takes 1 minute for base coat ,
2 minutes for top coat ,
2-3 minutes for color (let say 3 )
you would need to do thumbs separately ,

so thats 4 minutes base ,
8 minutes for top coat
12 minutes first color coat
12 second
12 3rd optional color coat
so between 36 and 48 mins light time not even counting prep and application ,

:eek:

there page also says this though ... New from Gelish® comes Mini Gelish® Color Gels. The gels come in an array of colors, apply like polish, with twist cap and applicator, but are cured in a LED lamp in 30 seconds or in two minutes in traditional UV lamps, just like gels. Gelish® stays on nails for three weeks with no chipping or peeling, and soak completely off in only 15 minutes

so what is it 30 seconds? 2 mins ? lol

Last edited:
Wow, that video is quite shocking, shame on Harmony for making it. Interesting that (on this board at least) Harmony have been telling us that even if they sell in Sally it will be for pros only. The video is very clearly aimed at the DIY market. It makes the brand look no better than Rio in Argos. Shame, shame, shame.

Is it just me or is that a ridiculously tiny, skinny lamp?

Sorry if this has already been asked but i've read that you can use an 11 watt uv lamp but increase the curing time ... is this correct ..??

Wow, that video is quite shocking, shame on Harmony for making it. Interesting that (on this board at least) Harmony have been telling us that even if they sell in Sally it will be for pros only. The video is very clearly aimed at the DIY market. It makes the brand look no better than Rio in Argos. Shame, shame, shame.

really disappointed:irked:

Sorry if this has already been asked but i've read that you can use an 11 watt uv lamp but increase the curing time ... is this correct ..??

Anyone ????

All techs should Boycott Gelish.. Lol

All techs should Boycott Gelish.. Lol

Should , problem is with the amount of money most have Invested into the product techs will keep using it to see a return!

Even if they don't buy any more colors they will prob have to get more base /top coats before reaching the bottom of every bottle,

It's a shame there is no contract or legality to the fact they have lied several times; even their advertising says "professional use" and yet they are blatantly selling out!

Shame there is nothing in place to protect techs from companies doing this... Should be in the returns policy , Should be able to get refunds ... Then you would see alot of techs boycotting ....

Who knows though....maybe it's a reallllly cleaver game that no one has clocked yet?

I heard there was a trial time with Sallys if harmony didn't like how it was going after a while they would stop supplying them ....

Maybe the plan is to make more public aware and then dump Sallys , and drive the clients to the salons?
Double bluff , wishfull thinking ? Would be nice and about the only way harmony could even start to redeem themselves now lol

Their page also says this though ... New from Gelish® comes Mini Gelish® Color Gels. The gels come in an array of colors, apply like polish, with twist cap and applicator, but are cured in a LED lamp in 30 seconds or in two minutes in traditional UV lamps, just like gels. Gelish® stays on nails for three weeks with no chipping or peeling, and soak completely off in only 15 minutes

so what is it 30 seconds? 2 mins ? lol

I think this is right for Gelish and not confusing. 30 seconds with an LED lamp or 2 minutes with a traditional UV lamp.

I think ;izzy just misread that bit.

Latest posts

Back