Gelish at sallys for sale to the public!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For what it's worth, here is my take on Geilish in Sally's. I am a Master Edudactor with Hand and Nail Harmony and have had a lot of students! None of them have baulked at Gelish being in Sallys! Why, oh yes they have been trained, as Harmony have said to Sally's training is vital. Sallys want Gelish in their stores. We as Harmony are more than willing to provide the training.

Juust another thing, Harmony as a company are not just Gelish, we are Gel and L&P as well, and before some of you smarties come in, no they won't be available in Sallys.

All I can can suggest is some of you wind your neck in and stop judging, the product is amazing, who wouldn't want to share it :D

I will be amazed if this post is here tomorrow, note to self take a snap shot before the vultures descend! :lick:

I am not sure I would have understood the significance of this back in the days when I trained either. By the way, are all these trainees hairdressers & beauty therapists picked up at Sallys :D - only joking. I think the views and feelings of your trained and experienced techs should be more important to you.

Some of the language used in your post is very disrepectful to Harmony customers on here - maybe you didn't mean it that way, but it sure came across that way to me.

I don't think anyone in all the various threads has doubted the quality of the product.

wow! now im am scared to post...lol!
ok ...here goes....this is MY opinion. Sallys are selling gelish...so what?? they also sell alot of other stuff for professional use. I have a trade card..... i buy minimal stuff from there...basically files and white blocks, thats about it as in my opinion i do not rate the quality of the liquid and powder lines that they do sell!!

I think sallys has a reputation for selling to the non professional....which i think they are trying to deal with ....but in the real world sadly people will lie to get what they want.....which i have seen happen with my own eyes.
If someone does want something badly enough then yes there are online auctions sites where they can pretty much buy what they want off of....there is plenty of CND, Ezflow, NSI & Star nails to name a few....proving that pretty much all brands are accessable to anyone who wants it..... it is a 'choice' as a professional not to shop from there.

It is; from the way i read it that sallys selling part of the gelish line is as bad as it being sold on these action sites...it really isnt. There are loads of wholesalers around that sell a wide variety of products...top end quality stuff right down to the budget stuff (which having tried some of it previously i think is more of a crime!)

Most of us do what we do as we are trying to make a living for ourselves which mean maximising our profit. There was a time where this was not important to me and i would have stacks and stacks of products gathering dust...i now cannot afford to do this...i need to make money to live ...but at the same time want to provide top quality line of products for my clients to enjoy wearing. On thursday ...yes i did buy myself 3 new bottles of gelish...which i was very pleased with as not only was it VAT free day i saved on the postage...so all in all i felt i had a good buy....similar to any offer i may have picked up at a trade show..... which to add not that long ago pretty much anyone was allowed to get access too....similar arguement i think???
and just to add....YES i was asked to show my trade card as it was not possible to buy without it.

Sallys is a massive massive organization and the demand for gelish i think has exceeded anything that hand and nail harmony probably anticipated. They are only a small distributor remember and to get orders out to buyers for them must be a massive job!! Yes they have their harmony army of educators...which for them is important (which i think is a good thing....i wish more distributors focused more on their training)......but also as important as education for them must be keeping up with demand for a product. In the current economic climate not everyone can afford to become sub distributors. I'm not an expert but i would think investment does not come cheap. So in my eyes they are only trying to make their product more accessible for those who use it as there is pretty much a Sallys within easy access of most towns.

i don't in anyway work for Harmony and gelish is the only line of their products that i do use ...and i will continue to as i like the product and so do my clients... which is whats important to me.

Who knows may be one day ...traditional nail polish will be extinct and gel polish will replace it in all the shops in the high street. Oh I just want to add ...people still come to me for a shape and paint even though they can go buy the polish in boots or wherever..... they come to me because i apply it better than they can (because of the education that i have invested in)....surely thats what should be important????

One of the things my CND educator told us in my foundation course was that when you start worrying about what everyone else is doing your not concentrating on what you should be doing....... wise words i think!!

From a purely commercial perspective (I use shellac so no axe to grind), I think Harmony killed their brand by putting it in Sally's.

It will now forever be the brand bought and used by the messers and the benefit bandits who can buy one colour at a time.

For shellac, it is great news, as it re-inforces the public perception that shellac is proffessional, and more difficult to obtain.

Nail harmony, and your educators, you managed to upset almost an entire industry. Well done.

Oh sad times that you feel that way:o

Well this thread is being discussed elsewhere. I read through the whole thing, plus the comments elsewhere. There are other pro forums you know.

Nails are a tiny weeny part of my business (hair and beauty salons, no nail enhancements), and I am appalled at what I have read this morning.

For lots of people, nails are their livelihood, and nail harmony have not treated this with the respect that it deserves.

It is an ongoing battle for salons to find products not available to the general public in various outlets. I understand the wish to chase more sales, however if the pro's stop supporting a company, those Sally sales will clearly cost the company dear.

It will only take one client per tech to buy it to DIY and it will enrage them.

Just sayin.

An American Harmony Educator on another forum actually says that little skinny lamp is intended for home use, not professional. Whilst Harmony don't intend the general public here to use Gelish at home IF it is going to be available in the US for home use the kits will find their way here via Fleabay and other online sites and the UK clients perspectives on it will surely change.

I don't blame the educators here, they are going to be loyal to their brand, their business and their investment but I do think they have been let down too, even if they don't feel that way.

From a purely commercial perspective (I use shellac so no axe to grind), I think Harmony killed their brand by putting it in Sally's.

It will now forever be the brand bought and used by the messers and the benefit bandits who can buy one colour at a time.

For shellac, it is great news, as it re-inforces the public perception that shellac is proffessional, and more difficult to obtain.

Nail harmony, and your educators, you managed to upset almost an entire industry. Well done.

That's the thing.......shellac is not difficult to obtain...... there are flea bay and other beauty suppliers that sell it online ...... ok they are not authorised ...... but it really isn't difficult to find going any search online ...... which nowadays a lot mire people are likely to do anyway rather than go into a shop.

And also i build up my gelish range by buying one colour at a time ......I don't see how that makes me any less a professional than you
Sent from my HTC Desire using SalonGeek

Last edited:
Sandi, too long in the tooth, been here got the the T-Shirt, got got told to go away recently by by Gigi(via pm, not site rules!) but we ironed it out when we seen each other, it's more like the the Jeremery Kyle Show on here at times! Such a shame as I have so much knowledge I am willing to share! Hey ho ;)

Report the PM and we will look into it, though seems out of context seeing as it deosn't appear that you have posted in 7 months.

Sandi . post missing here! Ah that's right that's how this site works, what suits! shocking!

Yes they let posts on here slagging us off that's okay, never a word against you and yours well there's a surprise on a CND lets face it site! Oh you know what I feel so so sorry for a company that gets off in slagging us :irked:

What a load of unprofessional drivel. This is a hotly discussed topic on multiple sites around the web so this dramatic post is pretty empty. During the massive Shellac shortage - there were massive amounts of threads complaining on here and not 1 was closed down.

If your customers being upset about your involvement in Sallys is "slagging you off" then my heart goes out to you. Customers have a voice and you shouldn't chalk it up to "slagging" if you don't like what you hear.

No staff, nor anyone that I can tell of from another company has even participated in this thread other than to directly address your drama.

Furthermore, I am going to repoen this thread as I refuse to be pushed into closing a thread with those throw away comments just because you don't like the content. Especially when it is being openly debated on other sites.

Good luck.

Now there are a million posts on this thread so excuse me if this was stated already. I don't use gelish either, but I think another thing that is bothering people (and I'm only assuming) is the possibility of non trained people selling this service to customers. Meaning.... Non pros making money off a product that's suppose to be salon only. This happens DAILY.

Now I know that would bother ME. We all know that selling to DIYers is not going to kill our business. It's selling it to non licensed people who have the intent to sell this product service to the public that will do the damage. A product service that SHOULD be salon only. Especially because the removal requirements of the product. (removing top coat with file before soaking). This action will eventually lead to problems related to bad prep, application, and removal being associated with the product in general, hence giving trained gelish appliers a more difficult time selling their product.

Now this is my assumption, again, and is what would bother ME as a gelish professional if I were one.

This thread is nothing PERSONAL it's Business...

People are upset because a good product is now available in Sally's and some of us don't like that..simple.

It has been said that clients won't go buy it..it's not hard to get a lamp of ebay and buy a couple of bottles, but even if they don't buy it's there for all to see and in a place without a high reputation for keeping thing out of the publics hands.

As for the mini's in USA not being available in the UK..can they promise it won't be coming our way?

xx

wow! now im am scared to post...lol!
ok ...here goes....this is MY opinion. Sallys are selling gelish...so what?? they also sell alot of other stuff for professional use. I have a trade card..... i buy minimal stuff from there...basically files and white blocks, thats about it as in my opinion i do not rate the quality of the liquid and powder lines that they do sell!!

I think sallys has a reputation for selling to the non professional....which i think they are trying to deal with ....but in the real world sadly people will lie to get what they want.....which i have seen happen with my own eyes.
If someone does want something badly enough then yes there are online auctions sites where they can pretty much buy what they want off of....there is plenty of CND, Ezflow, NSI & Star nails to name a few....proving that pretty much all brands are accessable to anyone who wants it..... it is a 'choice' as a professional not to shop from there.

It is; from the way i read it that sallys selling part of the gelish line is as bad as it being sold on these action sites...it really isnt. There are loads of wholesalers around that sell a wide variety of products...top end quality stuff right down to the budget stuff (which having tried some of it previously i think is more of a crime!)

Most of us do what we do as we are trying to make a living for ourselves which mean maximising our profit. There was a time where this was not important to me and i would have stacks and stacks of products gathering dust...i now cannot afford to do this...i need to make money to live ...but at the same time want to provide top quality line of products for my clients to enjoy wearing. On thursday ...yes i did buy myself 3 new bottles of gelish...which i was very pleased with as not only was it VAT free day i saved on the postage...so all in all i felt i had a good buy....similar to any offer i may have picked up at a trade show..... which to add not that long ago pretty much anyone was allowed to get access too....similar arguement i think???
and just to add....YES i was asked to show my trade card as it was not possible to buy without it.

Sallys is a massive massive organization and the demand for gelish i think has exceeded anything that hand and nail harmony probably anticipated. They are only a small distributor remember and to get orders out to buyers for them must be a massive job!! Yes they have their harmony army of educators...which for them is important (which i think is a good thing....i wish more distributors focused more on their training)......but also as important as education for them must be keeping up with demand for a product. In the current economic climate not everyone can afford to become sub distributors. I'm not an expert but i would think investment does not come cheap. So in my eyes they are only trying to make their product more accessible for those who use it as there is pretty much a Sallys within easy access of most towns.

i don't in anyway work for Harmony and gelish is the only line of their products that i do use ...and i will continue to as i like the product and so do my clients... which is whats important to me.

Who knows may be one day ...traditional nail polish will be extinct and gel polish will replace it in all the shops in the high street. Oh I just want to add ...people still come to me for a shape and paint even though they can go buy the polish in boots or wherever..... they come to me because i apply it better than they can (because of the education that i have invested in)....surely thats what should be important????

One of the things my CND educator told us in my foundation course was that when you start worrying about what everyone else is doing your not concentrating on what you should be doing....... wise words i think!!

100% agree with your comment.
I am trained in Gelish nail system Love the stuff and if you good at it people will come to you. It is like with anything you can buy hair colour and colour your har but it is not the same as when done proffesionaly. People will still go and have it done at hairdresser... that is only one example. What about all nail wraps (mentioning no names) you can get anywhere people will still have it done by nail technicians etc............
LOVE GELISH ! :D

Its a shame that it comes down to mud slinging - again ! This thread is criticising a brands decision. Not an individual one. At the end of the day the comments here from techs who use gelish are invaluable for Harmony.

Some of the comments made are uncalled for. The site is run by the Sweets who put a hell of a lot of effort and time into providing this forum which gives advice to hundreds of people. We are well aware that they are also Sweet Squared. This is not a CND forum. I don't work for cnd or S2 but if someone asked me who I think they should train with I will advise cnd because the products, training and support are unrivalled.

Once again I think we should remember that if a member of the public puts Gelish into google this may well come up.

i have not read through this entire thread...just latest posts....so if i am asking a stupid question then ignore....but what is the problem with minis being available???
For instance..... if you want to try a colour out but it turns out to not be a popular one then for a small bottle to go to waste is better than a larger size one..... for the same reason why orly and opi do minature versions of their enamels and why i like them. Being a mobile tech i have a large enough kit as it is...

Ok the minis are not in the uk...but there are other brands of gel polish which have minis.....for instance crystal nails....which although is a very very new brand to the uk is huge in the states and europe..... they do minis of their gel range...and are very popular i imagine.

And as for sallys..... i bet the majority of users of this forum have purchased something or trained in a course at sallys...they have listened to our feedback etc on how to improve standards in our trade.....has anyone actually looked on their website to see what they are rolling out??
have a look......
Delivering the future together
surely they should be given a chance to improve without being slated for even trying??

In my opinion i dont think that it will be be many years down the line and regular polish will be pretty much obsolete.... other than a few brands. Why would you want regluar polish when you can paint your nails and it be dry instantly and have a flawless finish??
Brands like Barry M, no 7, rimmel, bourjois...... if they decide to bring out a gel polish and lamp then so be it...they will do it no matter what I personally think..... will it be the same quality as what i use..... i doubt it...will they be able to apply it as well as what i can apply to a client ...i doubt that too.

i have not read through this entire thread...just latest posts....so if i am asking a stupid question then ignore....but what is the problem with minis being available???
For instance..... if you want to try a colour out but it turns out to not be a popular one then for a small bottle to go to waste is better than a larger size one..... for the same reason why orly and opi do minature versions of their enamels and why i like them. Being a mobile tech i have a large enough kit as it is...

Ok the minis are not in the uk...but there are other brands of gel polish which have minis.....for instance crystal nails....which although is a very very new brand to the uk is huge in the states and europe..... they do minis of their gel range...and are very popular i imagine.

And as for sallys..... i bet the majority of users of this forum have purchased something or trained in a course at sallys...they have listened to our feedback etc on how to improve standards in our trade.....has anyone actually looked on their website to see what they are rolling out??
have a look......
Delivering the future together
surely they should be given a chance to improve without being slated for even trying??

In my opinion i dont think that it will be be many years down the line and regular polish will be pretty much obsolete.... other than a few brands. Why would you want regluar polish when you can paint your nails and it be dry instantly and have a flawless finish??
Brands like Barry M, no 7, rimmel, bourjois...... if they decide to bring out a gel polish and lamp then so be it...they will do it no matter what I personally think..... will it be the same quality as what i use..... i doubt it...will they be able to apply it as well as what i can apply to a client ...i doubt that too.

Unless I have completely missed something the topic is nothing to do with the sizes of bottle, you really should read the whole thing and then it will become clear.

Unless I have completely missed something the topic is nothing to do with the sizes of bottle, you really should read the whole thing and then it will become clear.

i do get the point of the thread.... as i commented in my previous post.
The comment on the mini bottles was in reference to one of the posts where someone mentioned that they hoped they would not bring them to the UK! The rest of what i have written i believe has plenty to with the topic.

The comment on the mini bottles was in reference to one of the posts where someone mentioned that they hoped they would not bring them to the UK! The rest of what i have written i believe has plenty to with the topic.

Fair enough, although you did say you didnt read the whole topic and only the last few posts hence why I thought you may have missed the point. xx

In fairness Sian you are missing the point a tad, as much as I agreed with and repped you already on this thread.

Mini bottles as such are not being sold...it is a kit which includes everything in mini sizes,including a mini lamp, to do a set of Gelish, obviously aimed at the retail market.
The difference between that and offerring mini bottles of polish like Orly do is huge.
Gel can cause allergic reactions from overexposure, by touching the inhibition layer, getting it on skin, applying too thick....all of these things (and probably more) so letting members of the public loose with a professional product is just asking for trouble way down the line. Of course the general public won't admit their liability so all Gel polishes will get the flack....which is not good for anyones business.

That said it is a moot point...as Hand & Nail Harmony UK do not have the mini gelish kits and have now publicly stated several times that they do not intend bringing it to the UK.

Therefore maybe we should move on from this now.

Sian- I think the point about the miniature version was that the application video was clearly aimed at self application. Miniature size bottles and a miniature lamp are cheaper and more accessible for the client to do at HOME. Then we have prolonged overexposure, improper removal, poor results devaluing the product itself.

That was the point about the small bottles - I think!

Sorry Izzi! Far more eloquently put than I, posted at the same time :)

Just read their facebook page. Apparently Gelish customers have seen the mini kits on their website and are asking when they arrive in the UK. The people contributing are not happy bunnies.

All it would really take is for harmony to say sorry, and that it was a commercial decision that was taken, and reassure people that they are not going into the boots and argos market.

Apart from a bit of S2 bashing, there seems to be an echoey silence.

Happy to bet 50p that it is OTC before the year is out.
Just my opinion (based on years of experience and finely tuned commercial antennae)

Latest posts

Back