Gelish at sallys for sale to the public!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I popped into my local Salon Services/Sally's in Sheerwater (Old Woking) and I asked about the public etc... this is definately Trade Only. But that doesn't stop the Hair Geeks from purchasing! Just as long as you have a trade card you are free to shop.

Good Lord is there still a hoohar about this!!! I admit I've not read one single post of this thread as I don't have the time but why oh why can people not see the benefits of being able to go locally and see the colours before they buy? I can now buy from a supplier here in Spain that is half an hour up the road and it has been fantastic to be able to see the colours, rather than poorly printed images or photos online, it's actually saved me a fortune in colours that I may have chosen and decided against.

Do you really think your clients give a tuppence about which product you use or where you buy it? Do you really believe it makes YOU any less professional? All they are worried about is that it lasts and they have a great colour choice ... and that is why I now use three different brands. They will trust YOUR professionalism. I bet most of your clients don't even know what a Sallys store is, even less have visited one and even less have ever bought anything.

And there IS a skill to applying it well. It applies similar to a polish but behaves like a gel and you need to know this. Proper prep, minimising risk of over exposure, proper application. Jeez I've been doing nails 11 years and I still struggle to do mine well., good luck to Joe Public who can't even apply polish cos they hardly ever use base and topcoats, 2 thick layers of polish, floods all over the cuticles ... why should I see this as a threat?

This is not a threat to your business, have faith in yourselves. If someone really wants to go to the expense of a lamp, base and top coat, colours, prep materials then blinking well let them ... they probably wouldn't have come to you in the first place.

It's a good job the hair messers on here don't whine about OTC hair colour or that all their clients can get colour products in Sallys etc or the board would be full of nowt else.

Be grateful that we have a choice, many in this world don't have that luxury. I am truly thankful to whoever created gel polishes whatever brands they may be, it truly saved my financial bacon and I can only ever see it being a positive addition to my business.

I think the problem with people who dont read whole threads before jumping in is that they miss the gist of the thread!

The point which most people are getting up in arms about, apart from the Sallys thing is the Minigelish which is being marketed purely at the Argos and Rio market. Mini bottles of Gelish with a tiny lamp and a DVD which is aimed at consumers.

The fact that it is sold in Sally's is neither here nor there to me (if I was a Gelish user), but what would tick me off would be the retail kit.

I will not invest my money into a products that is readily available to the general public.

Mini bottles of Gelish with a tiny lamp and a DVD which is aimed at consumers.

The fact that it is sold in Sally's is neither here nor there to me (if I was a Gelish user), but what would tick me off would be the retail kit.

Gelish is not available the the 'general public'....it is available to those with a trade card...... ok...a professional hairdresser may be able to but some gelish...but are they really going to? Thats not how they make their money! Plus they have been trained ...just like us in nails.... in hairdressing so probably well aware of risks such as overexposure to products etc and how important training is. Do you think they want us being able to buy a hair colour?? no they probably dont because just like they havent been trained in gelish application i havent been trained in hairdressing..... but i am still aware of what a risk the incorrect exposure to something like peroxide might be but only because of my training in nails.

Whether we are trained in nails or hairdressing ...we all work within the beauty profession....and those very people we are all complaining about being able to buy gelish are probably members of this very forum able to read this.

the minis and the lamp are sold in the US aimed at the retail market...and in the states it does seeming work alot differently over there. All they are doing is creating a product for where there is a market for it....as will alot of other brands no doubt.
Harmony UK have said that the minis will not be over here...especially not for the retail market. No doubt rio will bring one out....just like their other kits....but they really dont damage my business. However, If harmony did start selling the minis.... i could try out colours to see if i liked them without thinking i may waste X amount of money.....or they may market them as a trial kit.... would that be so bad for someone to buy in the trade?
Different brands produce different things that are available only in certain countries..... and there always seems to be more in the states...probably beacause the market is that much bigger. Markets are different ....and industries are run different in different countries too....i personly think the nail industry in america is very different to here.....as is the nail industry in russia..... thats one of the things i like about it.

Last edited:
Gelish is not available the the 'general public'....it is available to those with a trade card...... ok...a professional hairdresser may be able to but some gelish...but are they really going to? Thats not how they make their money! Plus they have been trained ...just like us in nails.... in hairdressing so probably well aware of risks such as overexposure to products etc and how important training is. Do you think they want us being able to buy a hair colour?? no they probably dont because just like they havent been trained in gelish application i havent been trained in hairdressing..... but i am still aware of what a risk the incorrect exposure to something like peroxide might be but only because of my training in nails.

Whether we are trained in nails or hairdressing ...we all work within the beauty profession....and those very people we are all complaining about being able to buy gelish are probably members of this very forum able to read this.

the minis and the lamp are sold in the US aimed at the retail market...and in the states it does seeming work alot differently over there. All they are doing is creating a product for where there is a market for it....as will alot of other brands no doubt.
Harmony UK have said that the minis will not be over here...especially not for the retail market. No doubt rio will bring one out....just like their other kits....but they really dont damage my business. However, If harmony did start selling the minis.... i could try out colours to see if i liked them without thinking i may waste X amount of money.....or they may market them as a trial kit.... would that be so bad for someone to buy in the trade?
Different brands produce different things that are available only in certain countries..... and there always seems to be more in the states. Markets are different ....and industries are run different in different countries too....i think the nail industry in america is very different to here.....as is the nail industry in russia..... thats one of the things i like about it.

This forum isnt just for UK techs, its got people from many countries and I look at it from the point of view of all of them. Based on that, if I'd invested time and money in training to then have the product available to anyone, Id be mightily upset. Additionally, no NH wont be selling the kits here but just because they wont doesn't mean 'independant' suppliers wont.

I think if Rio being a kit out, so what, it will be the quality of it that makes that a non issue. Gelish though is a good quality professional product that applies like polish and will remove with out difficulty. Josephine Public will likely be able to do a good job with it assuming the lamp does the job its supposed to (and having watched the video I cant see it working too well). I do think people will get wind of the kits being out there and they will get a hold of them.

As for hair professionals buying Gelish, would they buy it for salon use? I doubt their insurance would cover that would it but I dont know. Would I, if I were them and knew NH were selling it to the general public via Sally's in the US, buy it to use on myself? Actually I might be tempted as its clearly safe for home use with out training as NH sell it as such elsewhere.

Thats the complication to me, same product with two different rules.

When the new Sallys trade cards came out recently they supplied us all with 2 cards. One usual card and another key fob card. I was told by one of the Sallys staff that they are having real problems as a lot of these cards have been given to friends of cardholders as they don't need 2 cards. They have been trying to keep track at my local branch but are fighting a losing battle.

On the Gelish front he said that they are trade only but haven' got Gelish yet but another one in our county which is open to the public has got it. They had been told 'selected stores' would get it first so how is a store open to the public a selected store?

There are loads of other gel polishes, thin coloured gels and I see power polishes now so if anyone isn't happy then do what I did and swop to another brand. I discussed this matter with my clients and they have told me they will support my judgement and, bless them, they choose from my ManiQ colours now and don't ask for the Gelish at all.

Everyone has to decide for themselves what they are going to do but my gripe is not over the product itself but the way this company has treated it's loyal, hardworking techs.

I think the problem with people who dont read whole threads before jumping in is that they miss the gist of the thread!

The point which most people are getting up in arms about, apart from the Sallys thing is the Minigelish which is being marketed purely at the Argos and Rio market. Mini bottles of Gelish with a tiny lamp and a DVD which is aimed at consumers.

My answer was aimed at the original poster which was about Gelish being available in Sallys!!!! I hardly call that jumping in nor a problem but heyho.

I can't say the Rio market has ever affected me, I can't see a retail gel polish affecting me. If my clients had a go then they'd realise it ain't as easy as it looks! As I said before have faith in your own ability, let your professionalism shine, and leave the DIYers to their own devices cos they'd never have walked through your door anyway.

Don't think im happy about them selling it in sally's :( but it is much better than having to order online and not being able to see the colours properly :) so i suppose there's pro's and con's

Hailz Nailz :) x

The fact that Gelish is sold in Sallys doesn't impress me when it was promoted to me as an 'exclusive' and 'high end' product. It is a fab product and I will continue to use it as long as it ticks my clients box and they love it.

I use Shellac too as well as Biosculpture. Shellac may retail to professionals only, however it is only a manicure certificate which is required. I had a client's daughter come to me for a spray tan recently and I noticed she had ner nails done (badly!). I asked her who did them. She said her friend who works at a nearby hair salon. She has just started doing them. They were extremely bad, so bad that it might have been jo public with no beauty qualifications at all.

My point is that, yes, clients will think it looks such a doddle that they may try and source whatever gel polish product BUT it will really just highlight the skill required once they see the rubbish they produce.

It is the weekend - weyhey! - relax xx:)

Are Harmony suggesting Joe Public prep their own nail plate - ie etch? If so, i do feel that is a bit dodgy.

Its going to be interesting to see how this pans out, it might work out ok in the long run especially in the UK. We seem to have a population of people who mostly 'dont' have their nails done with any regularity. This could be because 'enhanced' nails still have a bad rep and also because traditional polish is so dissappointing that most people never really got into nails in general.

Flooding the market with a product like this isnt necessarily a bad thing in my view. It could propel the whole industy forward based on a bigger public demand for nice nails........if you get what i mean :)

After reading all the post I just think that whole salers for hair/ nail/ beauty etc trained professional people they should only supply and sale to qualified persons , we have trained for many years, to get to our experience, cost most of us a lot of money, and hours of practice! If clients or unprofessionals want polish then go to boots or anywhere else ., don't think they should be able to go into sallys or any warehouse,!!

From a purely commercial perspective (I use shellac so no axe to grind), I think Harmony killed their brand by putting it in Sally's.

It will now forever be the brand bought and used by the messers and the benefit bandits who can buy one colour at a time.

For shellac, it is great news, as it re-inforces the public perception that shellac is proffessional, and more difficult to obtain.

Nail harmony, and your educators, you managed to upset almost an entire industry. Well done.

I hate to burst your bubble on Shellac ....it is sold in cosmoprof and as a student nail tech i can buy it .... no one in the store asked me for proof, i got a discount card and can buy pretty much anything. So shellac and gelish can be purchased by anyone so it seems. The only benefit for the pros is they know what they are doing ...egualr ppl that have never done nails are gonna mess up and always need the pro nail techs to fix thier mess :)

I agree. That's why I'm hoping Nail Harmony and Sally's are true to their word that Gelish will ONLY be sold to professionals.

Nope... Sallys ARE selling to the public here in USA ....here is what i was told ....we sell to public but the professionals are getting a higher discount ....not good :( Although i have to say ....the minis they are selling in sallys are really expensive and teeny tiny...in my opinion your average joe will not always be happy to spend that on gel nail polish....and they WILL make a mess of it ..LOL

Nope... Sallys ARE selling to the public here in USA ....here is what i was told ....we sell to public but the professionals are getting a higher discount ....not good :( Although i have to say ....the minis they are selling in sallys are really expensive and teeny tiny...in my opinion your average joe will not always be happy to spend that on gel nail polish....and they WILL make a mess of it ..LOL

I have never seen Shellac sold to the public consumer here is Mississippi. Not saying is isnt anywhere else, but I have never heard this.

And yes.... we do wear shoes here. Lol!!!!!! :)

I am not too worried over gelish being available to the public as, in the end the public will not get the results they are after and will come to a professional to have them done properly,take the crackle polish that is being sold everywhere,i have a sister that brought some Barry (something) from boots and she just can't seem to get it to look right so guess who had to come to the rescue.so it the end i feel that this will only educate the masses to how much we put into our work to give them what they require.
sazza x

good or not? do not know but I am from Croatia and for example I can buy gelish without any license at all but it would cost me about 23 pounds a bottle but on e bay I can buy it at trusted sellers for 14 pounds...you do the math...

good or not? do not know but I am from Croatia and for example I can buy gelish without any license at all but it would cost me about 23 pounds a bottle but on e bay I can buy it at trusted sellers for 14 pounds...you do the math...

You have to ask yourself how your "trusted sellers" are able to undercut the trade price??? They are probably selling fake Gelish. Professionals do not buy their products on Ebay.

You have to ask yourself how your "trusted sellers" are able to undercut the trade price??? They are probably selling fake Gelish. Professionals do not buy their products on Ebay.

I don't think it is fake...i buy from them everything from IBD gels,brushes,Orly,OPI....etc.this seller has 100% positive feedback and over 200 000 transactions so...results are o.k. with their gelish

I don't think it is fake...i buy from them everything from IBD gels,brushes,Orly,OPI....etc.this seller has 100% positive feedback and over 200 000 transactions so...results are o.k. with their gelish

Be careful with OPI too! In my less knowledgeable days I bought an OPI polish off EBay and at the time I was none the wiser but now I have bought into OPI I realise that this OPI polish is 100% fake! Smells wrong and colour is wrong completely to what it's meant to be. It was a very convincing copy and if I wasn't in this business now I wouldn't have had a clue.

gosh is this thread still going lol..

IMO.. whoever is selling all this gelish, shellace and proffessional brand name products must be making next to nothing unless it is knock off fake in a branded bottle.. because non of it is cheap to buy from authorised sources.. .. makes me laugh how people think they are getting such a good deal on fleabay..

p.s sorry .. i meant Shellac lol..

I've seen knock-off's of EZ Flow, with the purple and the butterfly and the only difference was what the text read.
It's not difficult for someone to copy packaging. It's far easier than you think.

If someone wants to save pennies on nail art or hand-files, or brushes or other odd items... fine.
But when it comes down to performance of products, don't waste your money and risk your clients getting gel/L&P/gel-polish etc from sources that could be questionable.

Once your rep is gone, pretty hard to restore it.

Latest posts

Back