Gelish brushes spreading out in bottle

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debbie 2324

Reaction score
Hello. I'm wandering if any of you guys have trouble with the Gelish brushes spreading out and getting all funky to where there is no way you can polish a nail with it. Also some of them are just bent in half too.

Never had a problem with any of mine, it sounds like they are curing, do you keep them away from the lamp when you are painting the nails? X

Sounds like the Gelish has cured.
Has it been near a window or your lamp?

Hello. I'm wandering if any of you guys have trouble with the Gelish brushes spreading out and getting all funky to where there is no way you can polish a nail with it. Also some of them are just bent in half too.
Sounds like the gelish is curing, you can buy new brushes on the nail harmony website, not sure if that's any good to you though

Thank you all. Yes I do have them across the room from a window. A couple of them were like that when I purchased them. Of course they are replacing them. Mrs. Hardy I did not know that you could purchase the brushes by themselves. Thank you.[emoji4]

Replacing the brushes won't make a difference if there is cured product at the bottom of the bottle.

The new brush will be squashed against the cured product and twist up again. x

Thank you cheekychick. That makes sense. I think I'll replace the bad ones and move them to another wall away from any light at all. Thanks everyone for the helpful insight.

Not sure if you could remove the cured product from the bottle with tweezers maybe?

If not, remove the brush from the lid completely with pliers and just use a gel brush to apply it so the colour isn't completely wasted. x

I have found a few of my Gelish brushes going all wonky. Never had the problem before. Wanted to buy more colours but put off doing so. Don't keep my gel exposed at all. Use it the same way I always have. One colour I replaced the brush with an old top coat brush yesterday. Worked fine but, alas, today that bersh is all wonky too!

I have found a few of my Gelish brushes going all wonky. Never had the problem before. Wanted to buy more colours but put off doing so. Don't keep my gel exposed at all. Use it the same way I always have. One colour I replaced the brush with an old top coat brush yesterday. Worked fine but, alas, today that bersh is all wonky too!

That's because there's cured product at the bottom of the bottle.
Remove it with tweezers and the brush won't curl anymore.

That's because there's cured product at the bottom of the bottle.
Remove it with tweezers and the brush won't curl anymore.
I never used to get cured product at the bottom of my Gelish bottles and I don't have the same problem with other gel polish brands I use so ... confused. I also keep all my gel polishes out of sunlight etc. I have used Gelish since it launched and have only recently experienced this problem with a few bottles so I expect something has changed with the product.

Thanks anyway Cheekychick x

I had this problem with one of my Gelish bottles when I first opened it. I realised the case that the bottle was an old (was on sale) one from my local sallys and had it returned for a new one. I keep all my gel polish in Gelish specific wall mounts which has a simple white plastic shield to protect the window on the bottles from UV exposure.

Sallys are terrible for the way they display their Gelish polishes! The amount of times I've been in there and seen the bottles in direct sunlight [emoji35] so if you buy from there check the brushes!

Also there was a little problem with a couple of the glitters (but older batches not newer stock) . I think the glitter settled at the bottom of the bottle and if left for long periods without use the brushes curled a little but that problem has been sorted now I think.

Urban geek, if they are newer bottles have you tried calling nail harmony? They may be able to help x.

Sallys are terrible for the way they display their Gelish polishes! The amount of times I've been in there and seen the bottles in direct sunlight [emoji35] so if you buy from there check the brushes!

Also there was a little problem with a couple of the glitters (but older batches not newer stock) . I think the glitter settled at the bottom of the bottle and if left for long periods without use the brushes curled a little but that problem has been sorted now I think.

Urban geek, if they are newer bottles have you tried calling nail harmony? They may be able to help x.

The one I go to have their gelish bottles inside a dark cabinet. The one I got was a one off as the shop was flooded and they closed down for several months so most of their merchandise would have been laid out on the floor and when they opened, a lot of Gelish products were put on sale which I did get. In my case, it was just one of 30+ bottles that I acquired from them.

I've the exact same problem but it's only ever with glitter polishes

I just attended the International Beauty Show in New York City and spoke with a very informed representative of Gelish about this exact problem. I have used Gelish since it came out years ago. I have purchased just about every color that they make, so I have a vast collection of their polishes as well as other companies. Lately I have been experiencing the same problems with my Gelish polishes. The Hand and Nail Harmony representatives at the Beauty Show told me that Gelish only has a shelf life of 18 months and that I should not expect it to last any longer than that. WOW, REALLY? - than it is not a very good investment as I have many of my gel polishes for years with no problems - except for Gelish. I was pretty upset by this news, and then I visited the Akzentz booth and they told me the same thing - that their Luxio gel polish has the exact same shelf life of 18 months. Holy cow, I certainly cannot afford to be switching out hundreds and hundreds of dollars in gel polish on a continual basis.

Not quite sure what I think about all this. So, if you are using expired gel polishes on clients are the companies saying that there is some effect from this that we will notice on clients? If the polishes expire, why don't companies have an expiration date on the bottles? If the polishes sit around in their warehouses for who knows how long, why should we be purchasing old product with no expiration date available to help us make proper purchases of fresh product since gel polish is so expensive? I was never informed about gel polishes expiring before, but if they do - WE NEED EXPIRATION DATES ON BOTTLES !!!!!!!!!!!

I just attended the International Beauty Show in New York City and spoke with a very informed representative of Gelish about this exact problem. I have used Gelish since it came out years ago. I have purchased just about every color that they make, so I have a vast collection of their polishes as well as other companies. Lately I have been experiencing the same problems with my Gelish polishes. The Hand and Nail Harmony representatives at the Beauty Show told me that Gelish only has a shelf life of 18 months and that I should not expect it to last any longer than that. WOW, REALLY? - than it is not a very good investment as I have many of my gel polishes for years with no problems - except for Gelish. I was pretty upset by this news, and then I visited the Akzentz booth and they told me the same thing - that their Luxio gel polish has the exact same shelf life of 18 months. Holy cow, I certainly cannot afford to be switching out hundreds and hundreds of dollars in gel polish on a continual basis.

Not quite sure what I think about all this. So, if you are using expired gel polishes on clients are the companies saying that there is some effect from this that we will notice on clients? If the polishes expire, why don't companies have an expiration date on the bottles? If the polishes sit around in their warehouses for who knows how long, why should we be purchasing old product with no expiration date available to help us make proper purchases of fresh product since gel polish is so expensive? I was never informed about gel polishes expiring before, but if they do - WE NEED EXPIRATION DATES ON BOTTLES !!!!!!!!!!!

All
Cosmetic products will have a shelf life. And it's from when the bottle is opened. Not from how long it has been sitting in a warehouse for.

All products have a shelf life but it's from when it is opened. Gelish bottles do display this, I have been using some of mine for about 2 years though with no problems.

Yes I feel the same way. I did not know about the short shelf life and I sunk a lot of money into stocking up. Now there all going to go bad on me at the same time. Lesson learned.

Yes I feel the same way. I did not know about the short shelf life and I sunk a lot of money into stocking up. Now there all going to go bad on me at the same time. Lesson learned.

All gel polishes have a shelf life.
I think it's 36 months for Gelish but I'll check to make sure.
No Other brand will have a longer shelf life than that. They will probably all be the same, so you'd have the same 'problem' with whichever brand you use

Latest posts

Back