Gelish client switching to Shellac & not happy

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharkster

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

Ok, done a search & not found what I was looking for - sorry

I have a couple of clients that have moved over to me (I use shellac) that used to have Gelish in another area.

They have not had good results with Shellac, claiming that it doesn't last that long on them, some lifting, chipping & breaking. (Not had one single complaint before re: shellac, it's a big seller for me)

So I need to ask, will Brisa lite Smoothing Gel work ok for them? I'm not getting in a whole Gelish range just for 2 clients when I have loads that are Shellac happy. I previously used OPI Axxium (which I have a load left) but I never had good results with it so I am not happy to use it (must stick the lot on e-bay).

Will the Brisa smoothing gel be as good as Gelish for strength for this purpose? I totally understand all the blurb regarding the product, I'm just after user feedback.

Thanks

Emma

Hi there, with it just being these 2 clients and you not having issues with others you service with Shellac then it could just be that they do need that little bit of extra strength or they may have been used to the little bit of extra durability of a true gel and so aren't following your aftercare 100%. Do you know what their lifestyle is like or their occupation, you could maybe tell how hard they are on their nails from that :) If that is the case then yes, Brisa Lite Smoothing Gel would be a good option for you to try with them to provide some extra durability, strength and prolong the life of their Shellac :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thank you Selina,

I think you are right, it could be that they are used to a stronger product so therefore abuse their nails a bit more? I'll get the Brisa in and see how they get on with it.

Emma

Also.... Was it actually CND Shellac that was used. So many 'say' they use Shellac and don't. That's why the Salon Locator is so important to you!!!

Also.... Was it actually CND Shellac that was used. So many 'say' they use Shellac and don't. That's why the Salon Locator is so important to you!!!

Are you suggesting that the OP is using fake products? I think you'd better go back and read her post again.

Shellac doesn't last 24 hours on me, and the salon def bought from S2. I know the owner extremely well. Shellac just doesn't work with everyone.

Shellac doesn't last on me but Gelish does. Remember, shellac isn't a "gel polish" like gelish is. In my experience, shellac is closer to a polish and further from a gel to gelish.

Hey, here's a few things you
Firstly make sure your doing really really thorough prep!
You could try scrubfreshing the nails twice to really dehydrate them, or even go a step further and scrubfresh.. Then go over with some nail fresh then scrubfresh again (important!)
You could also try double top coating and brisa lite smoothing gel is great.
I changed from gelish to shellac and I really love it. I find shellac a lot thinner and not as strong as gelish but I have not yet found it to be an issue for me.
:) x

Are you suggesting that the OP is using fake products? I think you'd better go back and read her post again.

I think Mrs Geek was referring to the other salon or technician where they failed to see the great results of shellac.

It may have been the other salon led them to believe it was genuine when it was not ?

Sorry if I've misinterpreted x

Brisa Lite Smoothing gel will definitely be the answer for your clients whose nails are a bit on the thin side. I charge the Shellac price plus £4 for this. It extends the wear on thin nails to a full 2 sometimes 3 weeks. Takes longer to soak off as youd expect. xx

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

Seems to be some confusion so if I can just clarify (unless I am misunderstanding!):

I use genuine shellac. I only get it from S2 or Ellisons

My prep is well good, as advised I have not had any previous complains. But I may try the nail fresh so thank you :)

The OPI Axxium that I have is also genuine and bought from Lena White but I never thought it was any good so I've not used it for years. I know the difference between shellac and gel, but I don't think I want to use the Axxium as it is pants.

My clients used to go to another salon where they had Gelish, but it was no longer convenient for them to go there, hence why they have now come to me and have tried shellac. I'm gutted that it's not worked out for them, but I do wonder if they have not been looking after their nails as well if they have been used to a stronger product?

I have now ordered the Brisa Lite kit so I will give it a go. If they still don't get on with it then I am sure they can find another salon that does Gelish in this area as I'm not getting it in. I'm real happy with shellac but I guess it may not be for everyone.

Thanks again for all your help.

Emma

Everyone will have their own favourites, however my personal findings are that when these products were first launched I offered both. In beginning I had 12 shellac and 6 gelish my customers dictated which they preferred and although gelish bottles are much bigger than shellac I now have over 90 gelish colours and still have some of the original 12 shellac as people just prefer the gelish!

I know you mentioned that you wouldn't want the outlay of buying the Gelish system but your CND lamp will work with the Gelish system and I bet if you got a few Gelish colours in some of your other clients may try it, it could also bring in some new customers for you.

I do agree that they probably were used to how strong Gelish is and maybe were a bit rough with their Shellac, I'd be exactly the same so I know where they're coming from with that xx

I'm real happy with shellac but I guess it may not be for everyone.

Too right.

For this reason, my price list now reads

Shellac £x (not suitable for weak/thin nails without Brisa Lite gel +£4)

If someone with thin nails comes in asking for just Shellac I actually won't do it. It's gonna make me look crap.

I think your troubles will be over with the Brisa Lite x

Hi, please can you send me the link to the Salon locator please, I'm struggling to find it online (just found the US one)

As I have an account with S2 can I be added to this?

Emma

Hey no problem I've found it & added myself!

I think Mrs Geek was referring to the other salon or technician where they failed to see the great results of shellac.

It may have been the other salon led them to believe it was genuine when it was not ?

Sorry if I've misinterpreted x

Thank you Jodieeeanne - that WAS what I was meaning - apologies if I didn't answer clearly... :o

Hi, please can you send me the link to the Salon locator please, I'm struggling to find it online (just found the US one)

As I have an account with S2 can I be added to this?

Emma

Do you have an S2 catalogue - it tells you exactly how to get on it - and it's through your account on the S2 site. Please feel free to call S2HQ any time if you need to be walked through it; we're happy to help!

So just wanted to update, I received the Brisa Lite Smoothing Gel and it's fab! Very nice product, much nicer than the OPI clear overlay gel that I have used in the past.

Clients loved it, said that it made their Shellac as strong as their Gelish used to be.

Thanks for all your help

Emma

Latest posts

Back