Gelish nails not lasting, please help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nats5125

Reaction score
Hello,
I've recently trained in gelish nails. I did my own nails and they have lasted nearly 2 weeks, my thumb has only just started to peel but that is quite usual for me.
I have done several of my friends nails to practice and they have all had at least one nail peel within or well within a week.
I haven't done anything differently with their nails compared to my own so I'm not sure where I might be going wrong. I don't feel I can start to charge and build up a client base until the nails last...
I do dry prep, cleanse, ph bond, thin foundation layer, cure, dry brush, colour, cure, colour, cure, too it off, cure and I then wipe away the inhibition layer.
I'm careful to seal the free edge (to the best of my ability) but I must be doing something wrong...
Please help
Thanks x

Are you maybe going to far to he edges with your polish? X

Sounds like your process is as per the training.
The only thing I can possibly think of is your dry prep isn't removing enough cuticle, the slightest bit if skin/cuticle & it'll start to lift from the top of the nail.
If the lifting is from the edge, then double check your sealing the free edge with your base, colour & TIO.

Other than that, I'm not sure, try contacting your trainer for advise.

I possibly am going too near the edges, especially on the thumbs which I find the hardest. Will try to leave a millimetre gap when I redo them.
I know gel nails don't last on everyone but it must be me rather than them!
X

Do you 'scrub' on the foundation?

Are your friends getting this done on them for free? You risk them not taking care of them as much as they would if they were paying the going rate. What sort of condition are their nails in? Are they taking responsibility for aftercare as they should?

On the next set try as best as you can not too hit either sidewalls or eponychium as once these are cured you can't rectify easily and if that's happened that could be where the lifting is happening as the nails grow with a ridge where the skin was touched. The foundation needs to be ridiculously thin, literally one dab in the pot to do all 5 nails, and barring all that have you tried structure gel? I have heavy handed clients and many with young kids and this really helps the nails last! Good luck and don't worry you'll get there it's a great product xx

Would the bulbs in your lamp need replaced?

Thanks everyone!
I have a brand new 18g gelish lamp that cost me a fortune so I don't think it's the lamp.
I am doing them for free so it is possibly that, but will definitely try to not touch the side walls on my next set.
There nails are all in ok condition so I'm sure it's my technique, and I am scrubbing the foundation and barely using any per 5 fingers, as let the training.
As I said, they are lasting in me, maybe I've just picked poor models!

Hi Nats5125

I hope you don't mind me tagging onto this post but I was browsing around the internet looking for inspiration and your initial post could have been written by me as I am experiencing similar problems with getting the gelish to last and its starting to annoy me and im getting a bit disheartened by it.

Anyway I was just wondering how did you get on after your initial post? Did you discover the key to getting them to last? I've just done my own this evening taking extra time to cleanse at the start which I don't think I was doing for long enough and also trying my best with the capping which I think is my main problem, so hopefully they will last better.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Tks

I have also been following this as I'm still learning I think I remember a post/blog/video a while back about getting a perfect polish without touching the sidewall possibly by Geeg can anyone point me in the direction of this? I'm loosing my confidence a bit I think I need to practice but I've run out of models and in a catch 22 situation I need people to get better but I done feel good enough to charge so how do I get the experience I need?

Latest posts

Back