Gelish not lasting

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shazapoppy

Reaction score
HI all
Ive been using Gelish for the last 6 months without any problems and love it, however one of my regular clients I see every 2-3 weeks is now only lasting a week before they start chipping/ peeling
A noticed after removal a few weeks ago that some of her nails where white from dehydration and I advised ger to use her solar oil twice daily as a must to rehydrate them.
Anyway the next time she came back within 2 weeks with 6 nails really badly chipped- she actually thought that she was over using the solar oil.
I re-appllied a week ago and she has text to say that her thumb and finger have chipped again?
I have not done anything differently and my bulbs have been changed last month. Would should I do:-
-Remove and reapply with gelish structure or remove and use nail envy with lashings of solar oil.
ps her natural nails are quite strong with alittle occassional pealing at the free edge.

Are you sure that your client is not doing anything differently with her nails that is causing this problem? sometimes my regular clients have chipping problems and the cause is them picking at their nails or doing something like gardening without gloves. after a long time of flawless nails, clients can take advantage of them and start picking etc.

Was she actually using the Solaroil? did you see if her nails improved between sessions, signs that she was actually using her solaroil.

Are you sure that your client is not doing anything differently with her nails that is causing this problem? sometimes my regular clients have chipping problems and the cause is them picking at their nails or doing something like gardening without gloves. after a long time of flawless nails, clients can take advantage of them and start picking etc.

Was she actually using the Solaroil? did you see if her nails improved between sessions, signs that she was actually using her solaroil.

I am seeing her tomorrow and will have a good look at her nails, on her last appointment she was genuinely concerned she was overdoing it with the solar oil, although i think she wasnt really using it up to then.

I think I will try reapplying with structure underneath, she has been a really good regular client its strange...do you know how long it takes using solar oil before the white dehydration marks improve?

Totally agree!!

Thumb and forefinger are the usual culprits for chipping due to abuse aren't they?

The only thing I can think of, is her nails have become weak,brittle and thin due to overfiling and use of Acetone drying them out.

Every 2 to 3 weeks is alot for Gel polish to be removed and re-applied. Even though they say every 2 to 3 weeks.. I think she may need longer, or even a break from Gel polish. Get her to use nail strengthener too aswell as oil twice daily.

I am not saying you are overfiling, but usually if Gel chips like this, it is due to this sort of thing! but the reg use of acetone drys the nail out and it starts to chip and break.

The only thing I can think of, is her nails have become weak,brittle and thin due to overfiling and use of Acetone drying them out.

Every 2 to 3 weeks is alot for Gel polish to be removed and re-applied. Even though they say every 2 to 3 weeks.. I think she may need longer, or even a break from Gel polish. Get her to use nail strengthener too aswell as oil twice daily.

I am not saying you are overfiling, but usually if Gel chips like this, it is due to this sort of thing! but the reg use of acetone drys the nail out and it starts to chip and break.

This is why you would be advising your client to use Solaroil. I use mine religiously and change my gelish every week because i get bored of the color and i have NEVER had any problems and never need to take a break from it.

When the job is done properly there is no over filling or dehydration to the extent of the polish not lasting

What do you use to remove the Gelish? Acetone does dry out the nails.
I switched to using acetone from the Harmony remover and found I ended up with a lot of problems with white patches and obvious dehydration on clients nails, even those that used solar oil religiously :eek:
Ever since I went back to using the Harmony remover all of these problems have disappeared, I know it is 3 times the price of acetone, but it is worth it in client satisfaction.

This is why you would be advising your client to use Solaroil. I use mine religiously and change my gelish every week because i get bored of the color and i have NEVER had any problems and never need to take a break from it.

When the job is done properly there is no over filling or dehydration to the extent of the polish not lasting

Sadly some do overbuff or file on the nail. After months of that, the nail will obviously become thin. Not good I know. But it does happen. If the nails were fine at first, but all of a sudden has started chipping...something has been done for this to happen!

Check you are preping well, and tipping the free edge (this makes a huge difference). I generally find the worse condition the nail the less is stays on especially if the client has peeling nails. Try and infill them rather than take off and redo, less drying and quicker.

What do you use to remove the Gelish? Acetone does dry out the nails.
I switched to using acetone from the Harmony remover and found I ended up with a lot of problems with white patches and obvious dehydration on clients nails, even those that used solar oil religiously :eek:
Ever since I went back to using the Harmony remover all of these problems have disappeared, I know it is 3 times the price of acetone, but it is worth it in client satisfaction.

I use acetone but never really had a problem with dehydration, i might be an odd one that it doesn't happen to :p I apply Solaroil before using cotton with acetone and foil. i find it seems to help the nail and surrounding skin

hi Sorry I,m just getting to reply Ive left my iphone at my caravan so cant get into SG as regularly (yes I do feel like my right arm is missing lol).

I did do the gelish training which was great so have always capped each coat etc and I have only ever used Harmony remover, I did read through the thread regarding acetone being used and the effects and am so particular to keep the natural nail healthy I dont buff inbetween removals.

I had my client in on Tues night her nails looked in quite good shape the dehydration marks where all towards her free edges and not as bad as the previous appointment. However I put nail envy on and she is going to use that along with the solar oil to her next appointment (it will be interesting to see how they are then).

I give a pinkie bottle of solar oil with the first gelish treatment along with an aftercare sheet. I do try to drum into my clients the importance of using it every day.

I think when I reapply I will try using gelish structure, although there must be a reason why it isnt lasting and if it is something I am doing I would like to get to the bottom of it!! Could it be my first real experience of the importance of regular use of solar oil with regular nail services ie L&p, gels, gelish etc ???

Gelish is a solvent gel polish. In their MSDS, they used a acrylic acid in their gel formula. What does acid do. It destroy or thin your nails. It will caused cancer and shut down your kidneys. Look it up http://transdesign.com/MSDS/Harmony Soak Off Gel/MSDS_Gelish.pdf

and you see why. Does your nail become too brittle, or have a whitting effect. That because the gelish polish is destroying or eatting your nails. The longer you wear it, the more damage it become. Don't believe me. Look at your nails after a couple of months with HARMONY GELISH POLISH AND YOU WILL SEE THE RESULTS

Really, are you serious? Ill take the risk

This is ridiculous surely a unqualified newly registered geek should be stopped from making such comments x

A bit of a serious statement to make I think without proven scientific back up !!

A bit of a serious statement to make I think without proven scientific back up !!

Judging by her other threads promoting another product I think it should just be ignored, slating a product to promote another one just is not professional

Last edited:
hi Sorry I,m just getting to reply Ive left my iphone at my caravan so cant get into SG as regularly (yes I do feel like my right arm is missing lol).

I did do the gelish training which was great so have always capped each coat etc and I have only ever used Harmony remover, I did read through the thread regarding acetone being used and the effects and am so particular to keep the natural nail healthy I dont buff inbetween removals.

I had my client in on Tues night her nails looked in quite good shape the dehydration marks where all towards her free edges and not as bad as the previous appointment. However I put nail envy on and she is going to use that along with the solar oil to her next appointment (it will be interesting to see how they are then).

I give a pinkie bottle of solar oil with the first gelish treatment along with an aftercare sheet. I do try to drum into my clients the importance of using it every day.

I think when I reapply I will try using gelish structure, although there must be a reason why it isnt lasting and if it is something I am doing I would like to get to the bottom of it!! Could it be my first real experience of the importance of regular use of solar oil with regular nail services ie L&p, gels, gelish etc ???
💅💅💅💅💅💅💅💅💅
Your client has not changed any or on any medication I'm pretty sure I read post saying certain medication affects gelish

Judging by her other threads promoting another product I think it should just be ignored, slating another product to promote another one just is not professional

Defo kattyj not professionally at all xxx

I'm gonna go out on a limb here (as per), but by reading the posts I saw mention of over-filing (why the over-filing) then the mention of recommending solar oil (which is a CND product) you want this to rescue them, yet you don't use Shellac, (which is a no buff, or over-filing system) why not just use Shellac in the first place, it has the best name on the market, the science R&D and the education to back it up ..... JUT SAYING

Latest posts

Back