Gelish or Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldigga

Reaction score
I know its probably already been asked but ive read thru most the threads and just want to ask a few questions.Which do u prefer Gelish or Shellac? Im not sure which to go for,I was going to do the shellac course but after reading a few posts on here about chipping etc I was swayed towards gelish but can anyone tell me how much the gelish course is and where in Scotland? Also where I would get a kit? Thanks

I use Gellux in the salon and it has proved strong and long lasting for me and my clients. I have used Gelish and I believe it is a very good product as well. From experience, I have found Shellac has proved weak and susceptible to chipping and peeling which I haven't experienced with any other gel polish. I couldn't tell you the training programme in your area as I'm from the south of England haha!

Hope this has been helpful, let me know if you have any other questions :) remember google is a magical friend haha.

Georgia x

You can't comare Shellac and Gelish like two gelpolish brands, because they are NOT both gelpolishes. Shellac is termed a powerpolish as it doesn't contain gel and Gelish is a true gelpolish and consists only of gel.

You have to consider if you want Shellac that doesn't give much strength but looks just like a normal polish and is supposedly (not doubting it, only say so because I haven't tried it myself) gentler to the natural nail, or if you want a gelpolish like Gelish that adds strength to the natural nail and can help people with weak natural nails or nail biters.

If you choose a traditional gelpolish then Gelish is defo a great brand to go for. They have more colors than any other brand and they have a great reputation as well as customer service:)

I offer Gelish at the moment and love it but I would like to offer Shellac as well for those with natural nails in good condition and want a gentler way to smudge free polish;)

As per instruction for Shellac you should not buff the natural nail before applying and since it does not contain gel it dissolves faster in acetone and no need of buffing through the top coat beforehand thus allowing for a gentler removal:)

That does not mean that gelpolishes are bad for the natural nail. I for one never buff the natural nail before applying gelish except on problemlifters nor do I buff through the top coat before removal and I see no difference in wear or removal times:)

Shellac does have gel properties - it is half polish, half gel, hence curing under the UV lamp. It does give protection to your nails, and as there's no buffing, there's no damage! I've worn gels on my nails for about 6 years and have always had thin, soft nails. I've had Shellac on now for 12 months continuously and when I remove the product my nails have never been so strong. Alongside daily use of SolarOil, Shellac has truly nursed my nails back to health!

I offer Gelish also, which I use on clients who have tried Shellac and not got on with it for whatever reason (usually damaged, brittle or peeling nails.) Gelish doesn't budge, but as mentioned before, does require buffing - an obvious downside. Hths

Shellac does have gel properties - it is half polish, half gel, hence curing under the UV lamp. It does give protection to your nails, and as there's no buffing, there's no damage! I've worn gels on my nails for about 6 years and have always had thin, soft nails. I've had Shellac on now for 12 months continuously and when I remove the product my nails have never been so strong. Alongside daily use of SolarOil, Shellac has truly nursed my nails back to health!

I offer Gelish also, which I use on clients who have tried Shellac and not got on with it for whatever reason (usually damaged, brittle or peeling nails.) Gelish doesn't budge, but as mentioned before, does require buffing - an obvious downside. Hths

Mooey - lovely to see your name pop up as you not been around for a while. :hug:

Geeg confirmed on a recent thread that Shellac is no longer referred to as a hybrid as this word is causing confusion with people thinking it is part gel.

It is not a gel or half of a gel.

It is a power polish with advanced technologies that allow the polish to be cured.

Jacqui xx

Mooey - lovely to see your name pop up as you not been around for a while. :hug:

Geeg confirmed on a recent thread that Shellac is no longer referred to as a hybrid as this word is causing confusion with people thinking it is part gel.

It is not a gel or half of a gel.

It is a power polish with advanced technologies that allow the polish to be cured.

Jacqui xx

Hello Jacqui :)

Thank you & good to be back! :hug:

It's all very confusing when descriptions change because the product hasn't changed, and I was always taught it was a hybrid polish with gel properties.. So that is how I inform my clients! Now if what I'm saying is wrong... well thank you for informing me, but also think S2 have a duty of informing their buyers if this is the case! x

Im not sure which to go for,I was going to do the shellac course but after reading a few posts on here about chipping etc

think it's worth noting that a fair amount of the posts mentioned are down to incorrect prep/application techniques, client fault, not using full system etc - I've happily used Shellac for since October with very few issues - using full system and took a class xx

Hello Jacqui :)

Thank you & good to be back! :hug:

It's all very confusing when descriptions change because the product hasn't changed, and I was always taught it was a hybrid polish with gel properties.. So that is how I inform my clients! Now if what I'm saying is wrong... well thank you for informing me, but also think S2 have a duty of informing their buyers if this is the case! x

I used to tell my clients something similar, that it is a polish with some of the properties of a gel which allows it to be cured.

Now I tell my clients it is a power polish with advanced technologies that allow the polish to be cured.

I don't indicate that the wording has changed. I say it as if this is what I have always told them lol.

xx

Latest posts

Back