Gelish peeling at the free edge

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oana

Reaction score
It seems that lately, no matter how I do it- capping the free edge, or 'normal' application straight down, the gelish starts too lift at the free edge after 2-3 days!!! I do clean the nail very well and dehydrate... I cure the recommended time, I follow all the instructions- thin layers, etc. WHY???
It happens on me as well as clients :cry:

Maybe your capping a little bit too thinly? You must make sure your leaving a covering of the product on the free edge, not just swiping over without leaving any.

Have another go see how how it goes :) x

Are you using a regular uv lamp or led lamp. If using a uv lamp then check that it is the correct wattage for use with Gelish and that the bulbs do not need replacing.

You need to ensure that when doing your prep you use your 240 grit file to tidy up the free edge of the nail, then when using the Harmony 180 grit buffer to remove the shine from the nail you then bevel the free edge using a downward stroke along the width of the free edge.
Ensure your Foundation Gel is not applied to thickly - it needs to be very very thinly applied & be sure you cap the free edge by running the brush under the free edge. Don't leave a ridge of Foundation on the free edge - swipe down the length of the nail again after capping.

Check your UV bulbs are not old if using a UV lamp. If using the Harmony LED lamp, ensure the fingers are positioned correctly when curing.

If you are still having problems after following the correct prep procedure, perhap attending one of the great value Gelish Training Days in you area would also help. xxx

I think you're foundation layer could be too think. I'd say it's the easiest part to get wrong, IYSWIM.

I take my brush out the bottle and wipe as much of the excess off as possible on the neck. Using that 1 brush I do 1 stroke on 4 nails then go back to the first one and scrub it in. Not forgetting the free edge.

I've never had any issues with Gelish chipping.

HTH

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek

You need to ensure that when doing your prep you use your 240 grit file to tidy up the free edge of the nail, then when using the Harmony 180 grit buffer to remove the shine from the nail you then bevel the free edge using a downward stroke along the width of the free edge.
Ensure your Foundation Gel is not applied to thickly - it needs to be very very thinly applied & be sure you cap the free edge by running the brush under the free edge. Don't leave a ridge of Foundation on the free edge - swipe down the length of the nail again after capping.

Check your UV bulbs are not old if using a UV lamp. If using the Harmony LED lamp, ensure the fingers are positioned correctly when curing.

If you are still having problems after following the correct prep procedure, perhap attending one of the great value Gelish Training Days in you area would also help. xxx

What's all this about? I have never used any file to remove the shine, the product goes on just fine without that. I have gelished so many clients and never had a problem. I think personally it's done to the OP application. Strange quote :confused:

Interesting the comment re buffing the surface of the nail plate with a 180 buffer before application from an educator for the product. Lots of conflicting info regarding this. So that's been cleared up now. It is necessary, you say, to buff the surface of the natural nail when using gelish, as with any gel, for the product to adhere well.

If you would like to read my post again, i did not mention 'buffing the nail plate' with anything!

I read it again and if I misunderstood it is because your meaning is not at all clear .. I'm not the only one who mistook your meaning or was confused then. It just shows as an educator how careful one has to be with what one says.

The nail is the natural nail to me and to most people.
The enhancement or the product is the product.

What's all this about? I have never used any file to remove the shine, the product goes on just fine without that. I have gelished so many clients and never had a problem. I think personally it's done to the OP application. Strange quote :confused:

Well that just goes to show what a great product Gelish is!
You should follow the steps that Bev suggested to get the best results.

Oh Blimey...That's not what I meant of course Gelish is a great product or I wouldn't be using it or saying that I have no problems.
To be honest I still don't get it...there is no reason to remove the shine! x

Latest posts

Back