Gelish problems

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlottemaisophia

Reaction score
I’m self employed in a salon and I use their stock, I’m currently covering maternity and alone. My boss / co worker tells me I should do this for Gelish application; (regular gel polish prep first)
- foundation
- three thin coats of colour
- layer of structure
- no wipe top coat
I’ve had a couple of clients come back because of chips which has only ever happened once in three years of doing gel polish for me aside now.
Can anyone please tell me if this is incorrect, I always thought structure would be before foundation but can’t find any information anywhere about it as I’m just generic gel polish trained and not specifically Gelish. Thanks in advance for replies!
- edit: I cap all free edges with all coats, I paint thinly with this brand, I use the Ph bond too, and regular prep is cuticles, buff, prep and wipe, then the bond.

Personally Id say thats way to much ….I don't use just gelish but from a gel polish point of view . If to thick it can cause chips etc
I always do base , 3 thin layers if light colour , 2 if dark and top coat . Always works great .

As I say I cant say about just gelish brand but id imagine all the coats its going to be thick on the nail and cause chipping . I always say go with what you can see and feel , each clients nails are different and different lengths

Personally Id say thats way to much ….I don't use just gelish but from a gel polish point of view . If to thick it can cause chips etc
I always do base , 3 thin layers if light colour , 2 if dark and top coat . Always works great .

As I say I cant say about just gelish brand but id imagine all the coats its going to be thick on the nail and cause chipping . I always say go with what you can see and feel , each clients nails are different and different lengths
Thanks for getting back.
I paint very thinly with that brand too, I think it’s way too much easier well. I just don’t want clients reporting back saying I’ve not done the same routine. At first, I didn’t use structure and only used 2 costs majority of colours (all darks of course at the moment) and didn’t have problems. I’m just confused about this structure gel, I’m confused as to why it would go on top of colour I guess instead of maybe as a strengthening layer as it’s a thick gel, almost like a builder gel

I use Gelish and I think that six layers is a bit much, especially since Structure tends to be a bit thick anyway. I guess the purpose of this is to provide a stronger, longer lasting manicure? I typically use Structure by itself, without color. I generally do Foundation, 2 thin coats of color, and topcoat. That usually provides enough strength without chipping. If I feel I need something a bit stronger, I might do one coat of Structure after Foundation, but even that is thick enough to make chipping more likely. If a client needs more strength than that, then gel polish isn't the right product for her.

I use Gelish and I think that six layers is a bit much, especially since Structure tends to be a bit thick anyway. I guess the purpose of this is to provide a stronger, longer lasting manicure? I typically use Structure by itself, without color. I generally do Foundation, 2 thin coats of color, and topcoat. That usually provides enough strength without chipping. If I feel I need something a bit stronger, I might do one coat of Structure after Foundation, but even that is thick enough to make chipping more likely. If a client needs more strength than that, then gel polish isn't the right product for her.
Thank you so much, this has really helped! So should I avoid structure unless they have weaker nails? Before hand I used TGB in past salons and was taught rubber base is for weak and brittle nails, so have been very confused at what structure is actually for as I’ve been told to use after last coat of colour before top coat, which I found odd especially on every client. Can I ask how long your gel polish lasts on clients doing it the method you’ve stated above?

Does Gelish have a no wipe top coat? I’d only use structure gel if their nails are weak or very long, after the foundation. Would only use it after the colour of it was for encapsulating glitter [emoji4]

Hi you don’t put structure on top of colour, this is the order,
prep
foundation
structure
colour
top coat
if you follow gelish on instagram there’s a post on how to use it hope that helps x

You are able to put structure gel over colour.
It's applied after foundation for ridges/imperfections or applied after colour before topcoat for added strength.

But to be honest it isn't needed for all clients. It's just a waste of product.

Chipping could be down to many things,
being applied too thickly, over curing the foundation coat, hands not placed correctly in the lamp causing the nails not to cure properly amongst other things x

Latest posts

Back