Gelish removal

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

staystrongsoa

Reaction score
So I had a walk-in client for a gelish removal today, to begin with I thought it was going well. I wrapped the nails up using shellac remover after buffing the top coat off and left for about 5-10 minutes but getting it off was a struggle. Got most of it off then re-wrapped to get the remains off.
But when I was finishing up I noticed several of her nails looked damaged - a bit peely and bumpy. I buffed lightly to smooth the nail over a bit but I feel disappointed in myself. I honestly don't know if I caused the damage as the client gets regular gelish from another salon and having done plenty of other removals without this happening I'm a bit confused. Especially since I've only been at my salon 11 weeks and the client is a regular on the hair side of my work. Any thoughts?!

The thing with removing another tech's work is that you really don't know for sure what it is. Gelish needs longer than 5-10 minutes to remove as you don't want to be putting any force onto it to get it off after unwrapping. It's worth the extra few minutes to get a kinder removal.

I agree, gelish is so much harder to remove, same with jessica geleration. Shellac seems to fly off in comparison. Sounds like is was nothing you did wrong, just a product you are not used to removing.

I use Gelish. I buff and leave it for 15 minutes to remove and so far I've not had problems with any damage to natural nails.

Perhaps it wasn't Gelish or maybe the remover wasn't compatible with it - I just use acetone.

It's awkward when you remove another techs work isn't is as your never completely sure they've used what your client thinks that have.

Thanks for the help, I just didn't want to overthink it and worry I had done that! The shellac seems to slip right off in comparison to gelish! I think the next time I'll just use straight acetone and leave it to soak for longer.

I soak for 12 mins and have no issues but ive heard gelish fakes are a nightmare to remove so it might have bee that?

Latest posts

Back