Gelish/Shellac, which to choose?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RosieDixon

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am a complete newbie, completing my training on Friday (eek) I just can't decide which to go for and wondered if any one had advice for me. I am doing mobile spray tans and nails.... :o:D

i have exact same problem

I chose Gelish for the colors, durability, cost per service, customer service, ease of use. While I also purchased the very first salon kit of Shellac, my clients made the ultimate choice of my sticking to Gelish.

Go and have both done, thats what I did. I decided on shellac which i love!
I have just added a small selection of gelish for those (unfortunately me included!) Who are not good candidates for shellac (weak, peeling nails). Shellac is a dream to apply and so easy to remove! Hopefully gelish will suit those who cant wear Shellac (im on day 6 of gelish and no probs as yet fingers crossed) hth x

Sent from my X10i using SalonGeek

Hi I've always been a CND fan, but find gelish fantastic. Loads of colour choice, so easy and as long as you prep correctly it lasts 3 weeks without chipping or peeling. Have picked up a few clients who used to have shellac and it only lasted a week. To be fair it could have been the nail tech?

My vote is Gelish. The Shellac colour selection is so limited. I <3 Gelish.

I have both. I have decided to stop using Gelish because they now sell to public at Sally's Beauty. Shellac is thick and if you get to much it will wrinkle. I am now using Artistic. We all seem to like it. The Mani Q is also really good.

What about the new OPI range like shellac and gelish? Also what about the gellux range? Any info on these?

Honestly reading these ... What I will loosely call reviews ... Has actually made me laugh they are so inaccurate.

The choice is simple ... Choose one of the hundreds of gels or choose Shellac. Nothing else is like Shellac and Shellac is like nothing else?

Shellac is every bit as durable as gel but without the bulk.

Shellac has many colours to choose from and more than 'enough' ... We have a mega busy salon and have never had to opt for more colours than we have. Our clients have always been satisfied .

Shellac is only sold to professionals and will never sell out to the consumer.

Shellac removes the easiest and the fastest. No nail buffing ... No buffing before removal. No wasted time dry brushing the base coat. .. The easiest most simple prep ... No need for primer or bond coat ... Shellac applies faster with far fewer steps. No brainier! Anyone who says different does NOT know how to use Shellac! :D

My vote is Gelish. The Shellac colour selection is so limited. I <3 Gelish.

I've only got ten colours of shellac and am fairly new to the product but can make a lot of combinations with jus the ten

I didn't consider anything else but what swayed me was the millions of brilliant reviews. And I kept getting asked for it by name. No one asked me for gelish or a gel manicure and such x

Honestly reading these ... What I will loosely call reviews ... Has actually made me laugh they are so inaccurate.

The choice is simple ... Choose one of the hundreds of gels or choose Shellac. Nothing else is like Shellac and Shellac is like nothing else?

Shellac has many colours to choose from and more than 'enough' ... We have a mega busy salon and have never had to opt for more colours than we have. Our clients have always been satisfied .

Shellac removes the easiest and the fastest. No nail buffing ... No buffing before removal. No wasted time dry brushing the base coat. .. The easiest most simple prep ... No need for primer or bond coat ... Shellac applies faster with far fewer steps. No brainier! Anyone who says different does NOT know how to use Shellac! :D

Totally agree with Geeg!

I love shellac and have hardly had any problems with it. I considered bringing in gelish and I did buy base, top and a few colours to try on clients with weaker nails. Didn't last any longer than shellac and took longer to remove.

I now get my problem clients to show me their bottle of solar oil at every appointment so I can see that they really are using it and guess what they are! Their nails are in better condition because of it and if I ever do have a problem with a nail or too I apply a fibreglass wrap which does the trick!

Shellac all the way for me xxx

Hello everyone, I am a complete newbie, completing my training on Friday (eek) I just can't decide which to go for and wondered if any one had advice for me. I am doing mobile spray tans and nails.... :o:D

I have recently started offering Gelish to my clients and it is defintely my favourite by far! Having tried Shellac I wasn't impressed with the colours, Gelish has countless combinations and design possibilities which really appeal to my younger clients who love Gelish as much as me!

Just because there is less prep and fewer steps to applying a gel polish does not make it the better product. Why not try shellac on one hand and gelish on the other and see which you prefer. Good luck whatever you decide, hth's xx

Geeg, that's hardly fair or accurate. While I certainly respect your view that Shellac is a great product, it is hardly the only or best. Each of the points you claim for Shellac can also be claimed by other brands.

Shellac has enough colors? While that may be your perception, we know that clients don't feel that way. OPI removes every bit as easy as Shellac and also has no buffing, primer, dry brushing or buffing on removal necessary. Even brands that call for buffing are often done without it. Thin is the way for all gel/polishes so there's no bulk for any of them, done properly. Shellac can be bought on eBay, Amazon, your local nail shop or anywhere just like all the others.

To the original poster - there are lots of really good systems out there, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. Match that to what you need for your clients.

&#128151; it! Agreed x

I am new to Shelac although have worked in the nail industry for the last ten years. I have looked at CNND products repeatedly, and after using NSI polish Pro all I can say is, WHY have I waited so long to join the CND fold? Money is scarce in our family at the mo but once things improve I fully intend to train in all of their other products. I love Shellac my clients love Shellac and I love what CND/Sweetsqured stand for! No competition for me Shellac all the way.

:rolleyes: Ever so slightly, teensy weensy one side that? :)

In reply to another post above re Sally's. You can't buy Gelish on general sale to the public. It is only available to trade customers, same as certain other products. All of the products are available if people really want to get hold of them. As someone else said, the best way, surely, is to try for yourself, take advice but at the end of the day it is your call and you will find which one you get on with best. Everyone has their own favourites.

Last edited:
I have Shellac, among few other lines, and it would be my almost last choice if I had to pick up one (orly fx would be definitely last one). Shellac is pricey (bottles are small), requiers healthy strong nails to last otherwise chipping guaranteed (that is why I have almost all of the Shellac colors, but I rarely use them on natural nails.. ). Colors are limited, although very nice - layering is not a solution for every client, mine are spoiled and picky :).
Easier removal? Yes, but it is not a difference between 5 and 55 minutes, so it really does not matter in salon. And clients? Well, they honestly can't say a difference between gel and l&p, between gel and gel polish, so they completely do not recognize companies - they expect good color range and no chipping period. They trust me to choose good products and they do not want to be bothered with details.
I guess I am the same, when I have my hair done, or car repaired :).

Anyway - check what kind of training will you get with product, check color range, search forum for opinions and just pick one - you will probably end with more with one system anyway.
I like Gelish and OPI Gelcolor very much, ACG is also ok, they have some new interesting colors, Shellac would be perfect as gel polish, not a hybrid :D unfortunately its strong side being a hybrid is also a weekness :( but I love the colors, Orly FX I am starting to hate :D.
HTH

This had been discussed many times. You will get CND people backing their product but the best thing to do would be to go and get the service done for yourself.
I personally use Gelish and it was the range of colours that swayed it for me neons, aurora effects, candy land and the new range about to be launched :)

I couldn't agree more ! Plus colour combos are endless with layering !

Latest posts

Back