Gelish shrinking

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lisa pink

Reaction score
Hi geeks I'm still practicing on friends and family luv gelish, a few want dark colours and I find it pulls away slightly from side Walls why does this happen? Also it needs about 3 coats of col or it looks wishy washy is it ok to do this many coats ??

Hello,

Im not gelish user but with Shellac it shrinks because of improper prep, not getting basecoat on entire nail and free.edge, applying too thin and improper cure. Color could be streaky if you did not shake bottle well.

Please post your steps so gelish geeks can help you.

Hi, yeah most dark colours need three thin coats and as above post stated make sure base coat covers entire nail and free edge, xx

ok I have had this problem with gelish. When I first started I could not get it to stop shrinking or getting bumpy. So I researched and practiced allot. I also started using shellac. Shellac is easier to use because it goes on more like polish.
Gelish needs to go on a little different. First of all check your light. I use to get told that all the time and I would never check because I knew I had just bought new bilbs. That doesn't mean your lamp is working great though.
Be sure your light is good. Then be sure you are using the gelish base and top coat not another gel polish base and top. Ok so when you prep do not use to high a grit file to remove the shine. You want it to not have shine but not be super scratchy and rough that make it harder to get nice even coats.
When you apply the base coat wipe all the product you can as you bring the brush out of the bottle even on the stick get off enough so there will be no drips. Then apply the base by kinda scratching it onto the nail plate. You want to cover the nail bed but with as little product as possible. Now cap the free edge.
After you cure it take a dry synthetic gel brush and wipe the nail plate up and down and back and forth. Not removing the sticky but smudging it up so its not so slick. Then when you apply the color do it the same as the base. Get as little product on the brush as possible.
When I use Bellas vampire the first coat barley tints the nail a see through pinkish red. Then cure and do the same thing for the next two coats. Be sure to cap the free edge. Once you apply the first coat of color on the first hand, right before you put them in the light go back and pull the polish over the tip if it has shrunk a bit while you were working.
The trick is thin thin thin coats and dry brushing the base helps tons. Remember Gelish is more gel than polish compared to shellac so it doesn't go on like polish. Keep practicing it is worth it Gellish is great once you get the hang of it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you geeks really helpful info :) this site is amazing I'd be lost without it xx

I find shrinkage is practically zero if I use structure gel after the foundation layer - also love the bit of extra strength it gives as well.

Jo xx

I get this with my dark colours only - you just need to make sure the base is on and the free edge capped I only use 2 coats x

Pip-squeak I have structure gel but not really sure how to use it;( do you use a gel brush and apply thinly,then do colour as usual?? X

If I need to use structure gel I apply with a gel brush after the foundation coat, cure for 30 seconds under LED and then apply colour x

you can do as many coats as you need as long as they are cured correctly and applied thinly x

I put on a thin layer of structure gel using a gel brush after dry brushing the foundation.

Only started using it recently but have found it makes a big difference with stopping shrinkage - I can now do 4 fingers at a time (going to try all 5 next time as just got CND 5 finger lamp!).

It is also good at offering that bit of extra strength. I have always had Bio Sculpture on my nails and just couldn't get on with Gelish, but SG makes a huge difference.

Jo xx

Pip-squeak I have structure gel but not really sure how to use it;( do you use a gel brush and apply thinly,then do colour as usual?? X

Can anyone tell me why my color didn't stick to Gelish Structure gel??? I did a foundation coat, structure gel, 2 coats of color, then a top coat. By the next day two of my nails were peeling off! Not lifting, but the color was actually peeling away mid nail and exposing the structure gel - as if it just didn't stick?

Thanks

I use gelish and it is only recently that I have started having problems with shrinkage...wondered if its been changed slightly as I have also noticed I am using 3 coats more often too

Can anyone tell me why my color didn't stick to Gelish Structure gel??? I did a foundation coat, structure gel, 2 coats of color, then a top coat. By the next day two of my nails were peeling off! Not lifting, but the color was actually peeling away mid nail and exposing the structure gel - as if it just didn't stick?

Thanks

Did you dry brush the structure gel?

I use gelish and it is only recently that I have started having problems with shrinkage...wondered if its been changed slightly as I have also noticed I am using 3 coats more often too

Change of temperature can affect mine sometimes. Now it's getting colder i just warm the bottle slightly. Makes the gel easier to apply and no shrinkage.

Maybe try painting 2 nails at a time & flash cure to stop the shrinkage

What is the teqnique for dry brushing foundation gel or structure gel?

Just use a clean dry brush and go over each nail after curing to take away some of the stickiness x

Do you dry brush structure gel if over the top of a colour or just underneath?

Latest posts

Back