SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sophiechap

Reaction score
does Gelish only occasionally Shrink on the first layer of colour? I was wondering if anyone new why it did this? And if it does it on the 2nd colour coat or top coat too? As I’ve heard of flash curing the 1st colour coat but not any other layers? Do I need to flash cure the top coat too or the 2nd layer to be sure it’s nkt moving? Thank you

You need to ensure you fully coat with base coat. Shrinking occurs when the base does not have full coverage over the nail plate or is applied too thickly. The colour coat is formulated to stick to the base. I think with Gelish that some dry brush the base first (I'm sure someone will correct me if this is not the case).

Thank you for your reply. Yes with gelish you dry brush the base to reduce shrinking but I was just wondering if anyone knew if the 2nd colour or top coat also shrinks?amd if not why does it only happen with the 1st colour coat x

Thank you for your reply. Yes with gelish you dry brush the base to reduce shrinking but I was just wondering if anyone knew if the 2nd colour or top coat also shrinks?amd if not why does it only happen with the 1st colour coat x

Shrinking usually occurs when the previous coat is too thick. If the base is too thick, the inhibition layer will be too thick and the color coat floats on top instead of keying in, and then shrinks. This can happen with color coats that are too thick as well. Try "scrubbing" the base coat on to make it as thin as possible.

Thank you, I do scrub the base coat and apply as thin as I can. I just wondered if it’s only the 1st layer of colour that shrinks? Or can the 2nd layer and top coat also shrink? I just worry if this is happening how can you notice as the first layer is easy to see because you can tell it doing it on the base coat but once you’ve applied one layer of colour it’s hard to see if it the 2 nd layer then shrinks also?or the top coat? Hope this makes sense

For the 1st colour coat I paint each nail starting with the pinkie capping free edge then just before it goes it the lamp, if the colour has shrunk a little from the free edge I quick swipe back over with my brush and put in lamp. With the 2nd layer of colour and top coat I just paint each nail then put in lamp I don’t re look at them to see if they have shrunk, I just wondered if they do or it’s only the 1st colour layer

Shrinkage can be due to how it was formulated or how it was applied.
If you don't shake the bottle really well, you can get shrinkage.
If you don't clean the edges and the nail good with acetone, you can get shrinkage.
If the gel wasn't formulated well, you can get shrinkage. All gels shrink to some degree, but the degree is dependent on the formula.
If you don't cure it with the Gelish light, you can get shrinkage.

I say this because I do a lot of research in nail product.

Last edited:
Shrinkage can be due to how it was formulated or how it was applied.
If you don't shake the bottle really well, you can get shrinkage.
If you don't clean the edges and the nail good with acetone, you can get shrinkage.
If the gel wasn't formulated well, you can get shrinkage. All gels shrink to some degree, but the degree is dependent on the formula.
If you don't cure it with the Gelish light, you can get shrinkage.

I say this because I do a lot of research in nail product.

DONT shake the bottles. Gelish needs to be stirred or gently rolled in the palms of the hand
DONT use acetone. Gelish cleanse and dehydrator are used before the application only

There are gels on the market that don't shrink. I use one at the moment and am trialling another
HTH

Contact your educator if you have any more issues Sophie. They can troubleshoot with you

So I have noticed that if the client has naturally really oily hands the base will shrink and then you notice when you apply the color coat. So a way to combat this is to buff and cleanse extra good! Never has this happened to me because of applying to much usually due to extra moisture [emoji4]

I have noticed the gel polish shrinks if the nail bed hasnt been buffed and cleaned properly. I have been using Cnd lamp for gellish,as we all know it will be too expensive to buy lamp for each brand of gel polish

I have noticed the gel polish shrinks if the nail bed hasnt been buffed and cleaned properly. I have been using Cnd lamp for gellish,as we all know it will be too expensive to buy lamp for each brand of gel polish
No need to buff the nail plate before using gel polish. Thorough cleansing is sufficient.
Try a brand that offers a free lamp! It's fabulous!

Latest posts

Back