Gelish soak off strange?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Nicole, the pads today were absolutely soaking still :-/ I also redid them, some using acetone and some harmony soak off. Same result, Gelish just like hard clay not lifting and flaking. Client is using cuticle oil twice a day.

The first soak off that wouldn't come off I used cotton wool and foil. Checked after 15mins and it stuck. Applied fresh d solve and foil another 15 mins wouldn't budge then soaked nails in a bowl with d solve. It still wouldn't come off. Last nights client I used lint free wipes foil and d solve and in the end buffed it off. I had to re-apply her Gelish tonight as last night she had to go.Both clients had Bronzed on top of there colour and have both recently started using solar oil. I was also wondering if it could have anything to do with the foundation layer my lamp only has two time settings on it one and half mins and two mins so I sometimes run over the one min time for the foundation. Can you over cure the foundation layer? I am due to pick up new bulbs next week. It must be something I am doing wrong.xx

I don't think you can over cure the foundation layer, I had a bit of a mishap with my lamp so the foundation was cured for two minutes and I was dreading what would happen but they came off just as easily as they usually would.

How strange. Is she using sunbeds? I have a client who's Shellac always takes more effort to remove and on investigating this on one occasion it turns out she had had a few sunbeds. Also, I am a little reluctant to take it as gospel that they are using their oil as directed. You only need to look on the record card to see when they last bought some that it must be a fib!

All different clients. The one today has used it - I saw the bottle before and now. One of the others buys a new bottle each time :-( no no sunbeds either. I find clients that this happens on are put off the product and don't go or it again.

Last edited:
Is there a marked difference between the first and second hand when unwrapping and removing? I always find the second hand easier as it has been wrapped for longer, maybe you could try differing wrapping times? It may be time to ask Georgie what she thinks may be happening.

I had this today.. Had to go to 2 new clients nails, started the first one and had to remove gelish from her nails and toenails.. It took me nearly an hour it was so embarrassing! By the time id removed it and applied gelcolour (because I love the removal!) and did the second clients fingers, it had been four hours!!
Oh and the second client wanted gelish which was shrinking while I applied it!! I love gelish colours but the application and removal is really putting me off.

I've found this happens sometimes too. The Matt version of the manicure is how I would describe it too. Other times it's fine and I also use shellac and never get this problem. With the gelish I have had say two girls having it done so temperature of the room the same (I'm mobile) and one went like this had to buff it off in the end it actually happened with my last soak off I buffed mine too. Someone said somewhere that your base coat could be too thick? I will be closely watching this thread. I use Cnd nourishing remover x

I rarely have issues with removal but when I do it's typically because I've applied my layers too thick or I've done artwork-glitter, etc.

Make sure that all layers are thin, especially the foundation layer. One dip in per hand, scrub the foundation on then smooth it out.

Others have mentioned about not soaking too long as it rehardens and make sure you've buffed the top coat.

If layers are too thick, you will notice a rubbery texture and that will definitely take longer to remove.

I rarely have issues with removal but when I do it's typically because I've applied my layers too thick or I've done artwork-glitter, etc.

Make sure that all layers are thin, especially the foundation layer. One dip in per hand, scrub the foundation on then smooth it out.

Others have mentioned about not soaking too long as it rehardens and make sure you've buffed the top coat.

If layers are too thick, you will notice a rubbery texture and that will definitely take longer to remove.

Thanks for advice, when I use gelish I really try to apply the foundation very thinly. I'll try even harder next time! The lady who had gelish on that I had to soak off must of had her foundation applied in ten bloody layers!

Iv never had a problem with Gelish removal (touch wood) :)
I buff the top coat on one hand, SOAK a cotton disc that has been cut in half then wrap tightly with a square of tin foil. Cover the hand with a thick fluffy towel. That's one hand wrapped!!
I then continue to do the same on the other hand.
That's both hands wrapped & covered with a towel. At this point I usually go make my client a brew, get the colour pops out & get all my tools out & give them a spray with Mundo. I'm all set for removal. I start on the first hand & I must say 9 times out of 10 it comes off a dream, occasionally I have to re-wrap if iv done nail art etc!! I'd say iv removed & prepped the nails including re-shape within half an hour, giving me enough time to apply new gelish :)

A metal pusher?! Cripes, I'm scared of what an orange stick will do after reading Doug's article on inproper removal and the unseen damage it can do.

Do you have a link for this article please? I'd like to have a read :)

Thanks Shannon. This is what I thought but it first happened when people came to me from someone else. I found that then re-applying the foundation when the soak off has been like this leaves lumps in the foundation (damage from removal or simply left-over product?). Result is that it is difficult to then do a thin foundation, perhaps compounding the problem.

I also heard from a Harmony Educator that once you have a rubbish removal like this on an older person it could be their nails are more porous and dry. She recommended that I oil them and remove oil before next reapplication. I am not going to get in a tizzwazz over this, have been applying foundation in most cases with a swipe and using a gel brush to rub it into the nail.

I have another one of these clients tomorrow with the added dimension of acrylic overlay (she broke two nails really low down) plus glitter! What was I thinking! lol

Do you have a link for this article please? I'd like to have a read :)

If you do a search for Doug Schoon on Facebook, you will find details there for getting onto his mailing list. This means you will receive educational updates regulary. It also means you will be able to access the old ones too I think. :)

My removals have got better.
I now do a few things different, When applying my foundation i first cap the free edge and dab a little bit on the end of each finger, then i go back to he first finger and rub in the foundation with a separate gel brush that i keep for just foundation (I hate the foundation brush in the bottle), my foundation is mega mega thin BTW.

I also start timing my removals from when i've wrapped the first hand, i put it at 15mins.
I have just bought some heated mitts with 3 heat settings (as recommended by IzziDoll), i now put it at the lowest setting and set my timer to 10 mins instead.
The odd occasion i need to re-wrap. But a client the other day noticed that the removal was a bit quicker and it was.

I now do a few things different, When applying my foundation i first cap the free edge and dab a little bit on the end of each finger, then i go back to he first finger and rub in the foundation with a separate gel brush that i keep for just foundation (I hate the foundation brush in the bottle), my foundation is mega mega thin BTW.

This was how I was taught.

Laura xx

It really surprises me that your gelish foundation is super thin, mines the exact opposite! I also aren't too keen on the brush but yeah mines a little like nail varnish that's gone gloopy (but maybe less lumpy) xx

My foundation is quite thick and the brush is awful. It's splayed and ragged. But I dab a small amount on the nail and work in with a synthetic bristle brush which is easy to clean and cure 10 secs.

Sounds like your foundation has partly set in the bottle or something. You can ask for replacement brushes though.

Latest posts

Back