Gelish soak off strange?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jo's Nails

Reaction score
This is a strange one. I have two Gelish soak off's, yesterday and today. It has taken ages. I know there are lots of threads on soak off, I had a problem a few months ago and after advise on here and changed from Gelish soak off to d solve which removed it a treat. The last two will not soak off at all I have had to very carefully buff it off which I don't want to do. I thought at first it was the colour the first one was Starburst but tonight the same thing happened again Midnight caller. I remove the shiny layer apply d solve on a wipe and wrap. After twenty mins it hasn't budged. I can't describe the consistency the only way to describe it is like a very hard clay which I have to scrape off with an orange stick then buff. The soak off evaporates really quickly and the wipe goes dry. Both clients have been using solar oil could this affect Gelish or could it be the heat that affects d solve??
Please help this is very embarrassing.xx

The heat will definitely affect the rate that dsolve evaporates. If that's the problem you could use a dropper to add more into each wrap about half way through to ensure they are topped up xx

Just a thought but had the clients had their Gelish on longer than usual? I've found in general the longer it's on the harder it is to remove.

Possibly a combination of leaving it on for twenty minutes, instead of fifteen, as well as the heat? A double whammy for the D-Solve evaporating before the job has been done?
I don't know, maybe a seasoned Gelish tech will come along and share their experience if this has been the case for them.

This is a strange one. I have two Gelish soak off's, yesterday and today. It has taken ages. I know there are lots of threads on soak off, I had a problem a few months ago and after advise on here and changed from Gelish soak off to d solve which removed it a treat. The last two will not soak off at all I have had to very carefully buff it off which I don't want to do. I thought at first it was the colour the first one was Starburst but tonight the same thing happened again Midnight caller. I remove the shiny layer apply d solve on a wipe and wrap. After twenty mins it hasn't budged. I can't describe the consistency the only way to describe it is like a very hard clay which I have to scrape off with an orange stick then buff. The soak off evaporates really quickly and the wipe goes dry. Both clients have been using solar oil could this affect Gelish or could it be the heat that affects d solve??

This is exactly what I've been finding! It's like it's a matt version of the manicure! I only leave on for 15 minutes and it's still like this. I had a client this week and it was a nightmare. Took nearly 2 hours for a redo! So embarrassing. I was literally chiseling, rewrapping, scrapping then buffing. Her nails looked awful afterwards. At my training I was advised to use a metal pusher to lift it rather than an orange wood stick, but even that didn't shift it. X

A metal pusher?! Cripes, I'm scared of what an orange stick will do after reading Doug's article on inproper removal and the unseen damage it can do.

I use D-Solve and find after 10 mins its ready to come off, I left it on longer the other day and found I needed to redampen the cotton pads because it had dried and the Gelish was hard.

I agree, I normally only leave the soak off solution on for only ten mins. If I applied more than two coats then I leave it for 15 mins and make sure you use plenty solution as in this heat it evaporates quicker. Wrap the foils around well to keep the heat in and not to allow air in to help stop evaporation. Hope this helps.

What are you using as wraps ? are you using foil and Cotton wool or something else ?

This is exactly what I've been finding! It's like it's a matt version of the manicure! I only leave on for 15 minutes and it's still like this. I had a client this week and it was a nightmare. Took nearly 2 hours for a redo! So embarrassing. I was literally chiseling, rewrapping, scrapping then buffing. Her nails looked awful afterwards. At my training I was advised to use a metal pusher to lift it rather than an orange wood stick, but even that didn't shift it. X

Sounds like you are not buffing the top coat off enough or you are putting the top coat on to thickly .

Why don't you soak them off in bowls on a family member to see If it is the dsolve drying up? The solaroil shouldn't affect it x

I use the gelish soak off and when wrapping I wrap quite tightly and squeeze the wrap onto the nail as if moulding it onto the nail. I have only been trained in gelish for 4 weeks and have not had any problems so far. Hth's x

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using SalonGeek

I use the gelish soak off and when wrapping I wrap quite tightly and squeeze the wrap onto the nail as if moulding it onto the nail. I have only been trained in gelish for 4 weeks and have not had any problems so far. Hth's x

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using SalonGeek

How long do you soak them for x

What are you using as wraps ? are you using foil and Cotton wool or something else ?

Sounds like you are not buffing the top coat off enough or you are putting the top coat on to thickly .

I must admit the horrendous one this week was 2 colour coats, glitter and 2 TIO! Saying that though, I buffed until there was hardly any glitter and it was still a nightmare. Even after scraping a bit and rewrapping with more remover it wouldn't shift! X

A metal pusher?! Cripes, I'm scared of what an orange stick will do after reading Doug's article on inproper removal and the unseen damage it can do.

I know, thats what i thought! But that was how I was trained! X

The first soak off that wouldn't come off I used cotton wool and foil. Checked after 15mins and it stuck. Applied fresh d solve and foil another 15 mins wouldn't budge then soaked nails in a bowl with d solve. It still wouldn't come off. Last nights client I used lint free wipes foil and d solve and in the end buffed it off. I had to re-apply her Gelish tonight as last night she had to go.Both clients had Bronzed on top of there colour and have both recently started using solar oil. I was also wondering if it could have anything to do with the foundation layer my lamp only has two time settings on it one and half mins and two mins so I sometimes run over the one min time for the foundation. Can you over cure the foundation layer? I am due to pick up new bulbs next week. It must be something I am doing wrong.xx

I've never had a problem with removal. I use acetone, cotton wool pads SOAKED in the acetone, wrapped in foil for 10 mins and I find it either comes off when I pull the foil off the finger or it is sitting on the nail like paint peeling from a wall and just needs a quick gentle push with an orange stick to get the rest off.

How long do you soak them for x
I soak them for 15 mins and if there is a glitter coat I soak for 20 and offer my clients a drink. Perhaps your trainer can help you out as mine is fab :) And like above they either slide off with wraps ar are just sitting on top.

Read this thread then lost it finally tacked it again lol. You soak off hasn't had lid off and lost some of its strength has it xxxx

Omg this has just happened to me for about the fifth time in over a year of doing Gelish. At a total loss. Ridiculous thing is, as I was doing it the Gelish on my right hand was lifting and flaking off like a dream! When I first had the problem I switched from soak off to acetone (in desperation), the next time back agin, cotton to lint pads. The next time swapped back, then added heated mitts... Dont know why this is happening?

Last edited:
If the pad is dry on unwrapping then the product is rehardening and will be harder to remove. Make sure you are using something that can take a good lot of remover so it doesn't dry out and make sure the heat you are using does not dry the pad out.

Latest posts

Back