Gelish Top coat with Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bella771

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

Just wondering if someone could help me. I have run out of shellac top coat and client has just asked for a shellac. i have it on order but wont have it on time for client. Would gelish top coat be ok to use with shellac or would it be best to hold off until i get my shellac? idont want clients nails chipping after a few days and want it to be professional and achieve the same look and lasting time as shellac? I have never used gelish before so if anyone knows if it would work and what the results are id be very grateful.

thanks soo much​

The Gelish Top it Off is a totally different product, and it needs to be buffed to break the surface before removal, as it is acetone resistant.
The whole selling point of the Shellac system is the lack of buffing, so between that and it is never advisable to mix systems I would say this is a big fat NO lol!

I was going to say it'd be fine ! (izzidoll, we must be following the same posts lol !) Obviously you'll always be told not to mix products but honestly it will be fine, ooh and I have just been told that Gelish top coat doesn't need buffing before soaking !

I was going to say it'd be fine ! (izzidoll, we must be following the same posts lol !) Obviously you'll always be told not to mix products but honestly it will be fine, ooh and I have just been told that Gelish top coat doesn't need buffing before soaking !

I have seen it mentioned in the Gelish lovers Group that some have tried removal without buffing the topcoat and had good results. I have alway followed the instructions given by Harmony and not tried it without.

However I still would not recommend mixing systems, gel polishes are different from a power polish and if there are any problems neither distributor will help and you would negate your insurance cover.

Hi I forgot once to buff gelish before soaking off and to b honest it didn't come off and I had it soaking for awhile. So I always buff as afraid to do otherwise now x

Hi Geeks,

Just wondering if someone could help me. I have run out of shellac top coat and client has just asked for a shellac. i have it on order but wont have it on time for client. Would gelish top coat be ok to use with shellac or would it be best to hold off until i get my shellac? idont want clients nails chipping after a few days and want it to be professional and achieve the same look and lasting time as shellac? I have never used gelish before so if anyone knows if it would work and what the results are id be very grateful.

thanks soo much​

This is a difficult issue. On one hand, Shellac says don't mix systems. On the other hand, HNH says that their base and top coat can be used with other systems. In this instance however, you have a client who's booked for shellac and you don't have what you need. I think your best bet is to inform the client that you don't have the Shellac top coat, but feel comfortable (if that's true) using Gelish instead this time and let her decide. After all, if she's paying for a Shellac service, she should get it, right?

This is a difficult issue. On one hand, Shellac says don't mix systems. On the other hand, HNH says that their base and top coat can be used with other systems. In this instance however, you have a client who's booked for shellac and you don't have what you need. I think your best bet is to inform the client that you don't have the Shellac top coat, but feel comfortable (if that's true) using Gelish instead this time and let her decide. After all, if she's paying for a Shellac service, she should get it, right?

good shout

HI nancy yes i agree with you she is paying for shellac and therefor should be having shellac this is the only time it has happened that ive run out and couldnt get it in time for client so i was just wondering if the gelish would do the same thing as i dont know much about this product. i will inform client of this and she can decide then and of course discount the price if she wishes to go ahead . thanks for all your advise appreciate it

I haven't used gelish more than once, as I had an allergic reaction to it instantly. But mine did soak off without Buffing.

I have, in a pinch, used gelac base and top with shellac in between. Especially when doing something artsy, where I'm mixing colors. I didn't have any problems. I also have two lechat soak off colors, which I use with either shellac or gelac base/top. Lechat DOES take longer to soak off, I did have to buff that one, but its do-able. It'll work. Don't worry.

Also, I charge for "soak off gels" not "shellac" or any particular brand, as that would seriously limit my color choices. Clients can see the brand, and choose accordingly. Lechat is the only one I don't have a top/base to go with.

Having said that, I don't mix brands if I can help it. :)
Kinda straddling the fence here, aren't I?

I tried to upload an artsy pic for you, but it says disabled. :( its on my Fb if you're interested. Same ID/user name as here.

Latest posts

Back