Gelish users UV vs LED cure

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucyboo

Reaction score
Hi I'm currently using a UV lamp to cure the product, but I'm thinking if the LED lamp & possibly changing to gelish hard gel too.
Apart from the obvious speed of the lamp
Do you notice any difference in the end result of the product?
Does the product last longer than when you previously used a UV lamp?
Has it made a massive difference in to your business?

Hi I'm currently using a UV lamp to cure the product, but I'm thinking if the LED lamp & possibly changing to gelish hard gel too.

Hi Lucy, I can't help you with your answer I'm afraid as I'm wondering the same thing, however, what UV lamp do you use? Just a normal 36W? X

Yes I have the edge 36 watt lamp x & the ibd jet 5000 for my hard gel x

I use 2 UV lamps, and prefer this to my LED lamp.
I take 2 minutes to apply most colours so one lamp clicks off as I put the other hand in the other, and it works really well.
It also keeps the clients hand in a lamp whilst I work on the other therefore they are less likely to smudge it or get dust on it :irked:

The only frustrating thing is with led lights is they can only be used with gels adapted to led technology but the timings are so much quicker obviously making treatment times quicker (as long as u work fairly quick.) obviously the rays submitted from led are not uv rays so there's no worry about damage it can cause although exposure to uv rays in normal uv lights are obviously no where near as excessive as sunbeds!

My thoughts as follows:

1. Using the correct 5 finger LED lamp will save some time particularly when doing repairs or your own nails (you can't paint the other hand when doing your own...lol)

2. Using a 4 finger LED lamp won't save much time as you'll have to do the thumbs separately.

3. Only use the proper LED lamp and not the cheap ebay one's as they don't work as well and could risk giving your clients an allergic reaction due to under cured gel.

4. LED lights emit UV light.

The only frustrating thing is with led lights is they can only be used with gels adapted to led technology but the timings are so much quicker and better obviously making treatment times quicker (as long as u work fairly quick.) obviously the rays submitted from led are not uv rays so there's no worry about damage it can cause although exposure to uv rays in normal uv lights are obviously no where near as excessive as sunbeds!

LED lamps are still emitting UV it is just a different kind of bulb.

The photo initiators emitted from led are a different type to rays emitted from an uv lamp which is said to having the causing agent found that can cause skin cancer obviously I'm not saying that a uv lamp is strong enough to give cancer but the element is present in uv.lamps. I was
Looking into the difference when I was buying my 18g lamp. So I'm only going from the research and info I found.

Last edited:
The photo initiators emitted from led are a different type to rays emitted from an uv lamp which is said to having the causing agent found that can cause skin cancer obviously I'm not saying that a uv lamp is strong enough to give cancer but the element is present in uv.lamps. I was
Looking into the difference when I was buying my 18g lamp. So I'm only going from the research and info I found.

No MissLB, that is absolutely not correct. LED lights emit exactly the same UV light as CFL UV lights. The difference is that CFL UV lights emit a broader spectrum (315-400nm) for a longer period while LED lights emit a more intense, narrower spectrum (370-380nm) for a shorter period. And while there is a good body of research on CFL UV lights showing that they are safe and not cancer causing, there is not yet the same research for LED UV. There's no reason to suppose that the findings would be any different (because it is the same UV rays), but there just isn't the same body of research. Here's a good article that really sums up the issue. UV, Or Not UV? - Technique - NAILS Magazine

It is important that you understand this and communicate it accurately to your clients. If a client is avoiding the UV light out of a concern about cancer, you are misleading them by having them use an LED light instead. Although the client's concern may be misplaced, there are ways to ameliorate the situation by having them use sunscreen or wearing manicure gloves.

But is the quality of the finished product better or worse when cured with LED compared to UV?

No MissLB, that is absolutely not correct. LED lights emit exactly the same UV light as CFL UV lights. The difference is that CFL UV lights emit a broader spectrum (315-400nm) for a longer period while LED lights emit a more intense, narrower spectrum (370-380nm) for a shorter period. And while there is a good body of research on CFL UV lights showing that they are safe and not cancer causing, there is not yet the same research for LED UV. There's no reason to suppose that the findings would be any different (because it is the same UV rays), but there just isn't the same body of research. Here's a good article that really sums up the issue. UV, Or Not UV? - Technique - NAILS Magazine

It is important that you understand this and communicate it accurately to your clients. If a client is avoiding the UV light out of a concern about cancer, you are misleading them by having them use an LED light instead. Although the client's concern may be misplaced, there are ways to ameliorate the situation by having them use sunscreen or wearing manicure gloves.

I stand corrected clearly got the wrong end of the stick then apologies!

I think the thread has got a little side tracked 
I'm interested in how LED users find the lamp, the finish of the product as compared to UV curing?
The new NH lamp is a lot of money for me to spend if it's not going to make my service any different x

Hi, I have just brought the new Harmony 18 G LED Lamp and I think it is Fab, it definately gives a better finish in my own opinion, and it has definately shortened my timings, I used to take over an hour to do a French, i did one the other day in 45 mins and I did fingers and toes in just over an hour :) I feel so much better not having to worry about the bulbs going.

It was well worth the money! it is also great for doing your own nails and doing practice wheels and nail art as it's so quick, you don't have to sit waiting so get way more done.

It is expensive but I saved up for it and I am so glad that I did, it is so small and light that you can easily lift it from side to side so it doesn't matter that you don't have two lamps. :)) hth xx

.LED lights emit exactly the same UV light as CFL UV lights. The difference is that CFL UV lights emit a broader spectrum (315-400nm) for a longer period while LED lights emit a more intense, narrower spectrum (370-380nm) for a shorter period. And while there is a good body of research on CFL UV lights showing that they are safe and not cancer causing, there is not yet the same research for LED UV. There's no reason to suppose that the findings would be any different (because it is the same UV rays), but there just isn't the same body of research..

Sorry to take this thread off course again. Surely the fact that the exposure time under an LED is at least one quarter of the exposure time under UV makes a difference???

Back on thread. Lucyboo, I don't think it makes any difference to the final result, but having used LEDs for over a year now, I would never go back to UV. It makes a real difference on timing (particularly when doing feet). Using two UV lamps against one LED is the only way to compare. I don't fully understand the procedure some are using where they are painting both hands at the same time. I am painting one hand and removing product and preping the other hand. By the time the second had is ready for painting, the first hand is finished IYKWIM.

Last edited:
I have a UV and the new 18G LED and to be honest im not seeing a difference in the final result either.

Im currently using a uv lamp and want to change to Harmony LED. I would imagine that if you're using the lamp purely for gel polish, then I can see that it might not be quicker, but Im doing the gel nails course and I seem to spend most of the 'practising' service time waiting for curing, even if I do both hand prep/tips/gels at the same time! 2 minutes versus 30 seconds will def make a difference to me! Im also having a problem with the uv not curing the gel white paint for french completely, so hence the upgrade to LED. (hubby got me the uv lamp from ebay for Xmas, I would def not have got one from there!!)
I want to do this right, and I think it would cut down my time definately, and in my case, improve the finish of the service I offer..xx

A big consideration is actually one of cost. Bulbs in UV lamps need replacing on a regular basis and can be quite costly. Not replacing them will result in gel under curing which causes service breakdown. LED bulbs do not generally need changing (can't quite remember the exact usage info so check it out on the Harmony website). Over the lifetime of the lamps, LED works out cheaper overall.

Sorry to take this thread off course again. Surely the fact that the exposure time under an LED is at least one quarter of the exposure time under UV makes a difference???.

Exposure time is much shorter, but the intensity and focus of the exposure is much more. They probably balance each other out. After all, the result on your nails is the same, but there isn't a body of research on that yet.

Absolutely no differance at all with Gelish. I have the NH LED lamp and CND lamp, results same with both.

Jo xx

I think the thread has got a little side tracked 
I'm interested in how LED users find the lamp, the finish of the product as compared to UV curing?
The new NH lamp is a lot of money for me to spend if it's not going to make my service any different x

I found absolutely no difference in the quality of the finished product using both lamps.

I was using an LED lamp and a UV lamp on my clients for ages there until I got another UV lamp.
So my clients right hand was cured with LED and their left with UV....both hands looked no different and I found no difference in wear on their return.

Latest posts

Back