Gelish v Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kylieb

Reaction score
Can anyone that uses BOTH or has used please tell me the difference in product?
I currently stock Shellac but there's just not enough colours for everyone & Gelish seem to have loads.
It is worth investing in or would you not bother?

Thank you
-x-

Hi, I use both shellac & gelish & I love both. I use gelish for clients that are a little heavier on there hands as it has some gel in it & is a bit harder wearing. Also gelish has more base colours. However, with the layering options for shellac, there are endless colours.
I have more clients who have shellac as oposed to gelish & I always wear shellac myself. There is no buffing of the natural nail with shellac & it soak off in minutes.
In conclusion, I love both but I personally prefer shellac, however gelish is more appropriate for some clients & the colour choice is fab. hth

Hi Cath. thank you for your reply that's really helpful!
Is there any info that you know of on mixing the Shellac colours?

Thank you x

If you have one system (and this works for someone who has Gelish and thinking of Shellac too) seriously think about adding another product range. If you have been promoting Shellac and using it on your clients and they (I assume) are loving it.

If you all of a sudden add Gelish you could put yourself in a situation of confusing your clients / diluting your brand and the importance of the brand you are using. Clients may wonder "well you've been telling us Shellac is amazing, so why do you have this one too?"

Of course Cath above gives a good example of why she has both, so if you are to do this make sure you do that so that you have an answer to the question of which to have and benefits of both when advising clients.

If you wanted to take on Gelish how about waiting about a month for Pro Beauty? There may be some good show offers, and also there are six new Shellac colours coming out then.

And in that month you could play about with layering, get some colour pops or colour wheels and put together some colour combinations that you can then show clients - you then aren't limited to the set 30 existing colours, but a whole load of extra ones for clients to get excited about without spending very much.

Mat

If you have one system (and this works for someone who has Gelish and thinking of Shellac too) seriously think about adding another product range. If you have been promoting Shellac and using it on your clients and they (I assume) are loving it.

If you all of a sudden add Gelish you could put yourself in a situation of confusing your clients / diluting your brand and the importance of the brand you are using. Clients may wonder "well you've been telling us Shellac is amazing, so why do you have this one too?"

Of course Cath above gives a good example of why she has both, so if you are to do this make sure you do that so that you have an answer to the question of which to have and benefits of both when advising clients.

If you wanted to take on Gelish how about waiting about a month for Pro Beauty? There may be some good show offers, and also there are six new Shellac colours coming out then.

And in that month you could play about with layering, get some colour pops or colour wheels and put together some colour combinations that you can then show clients - you then aren't limited to the set 30 existing colours, but a whole load of extra ones for clients to get excited about without spending very much.

Mat

This is very true Mat thanks for that! I'll have a play around with the layering first and do as you say by painting them on the colour pops. If that doesn't work for the fussy clients then I'll have a look into the Gelish. I think I've spoilt them with all of the o.p.i colours I stock.

Thank you! x

Check out Fingernail Fixers Facebook page and the CND site for some combinations to get you started off with. If you have some fussy clients look at the colours they want and try to play around with the colours you think may get that combination.

How long does Gelish take to remove & is this done with wraps like Shellac?
I offer Shellac & love it but must admit with all the lovely colours Gelish offer it is very tempting.
I am just hoping this year Shellac will launch a lot more colours or at least 12 at a time.
Looking forward to seeing the metallic silver launching in march but my clients really want navy, bright strong orange & flouresent pink.

Check out Fingernail Fixers Facebook page and the CND site for some combinations to get you started off with. If you have some fussy clients look at the colours they want and try to play around with the colours you think may get that combination.

You are a diamond. Thanks! :)

How long does Gelish take to remove & is this done with wraps like Shellac?
I offer Shellac & love it but must admit with all the lovely colours Gelish offer it is very tempting.
I am just hoping this year Shellac will launch a lot more colours or at least 12 at a time.
Looking forward to seeing the metallic silver launching in march but my clients really want navy, bright strong orange & flouresent pink.

I offer both Shellac and Gelish as well as 2 other brands, but Gelish is by far my clients fav for durability and color selection. (you can layer it too to customize)
I have been using Gelish since it came out and I do NOT buff the natural nails and I use the foil/cotton/acetone method of removal and have it off in around 10 minutes with no effort. The only time I have problems with removal is if they have gone longer than 2 weeks with it or if I have used Structure gel with it to add strength.
I also use Gelish colors for all my hand painted art and have had great success.

I use both, but can I add something to throw in the mix? I experimented on myself by not buffing the natural nail and my Gelish went on and lasted just the same.

Also, when I did my very first Gelish order I forgot to order pro bond. I went ahead and used it on myself. I have never had any issues in my application and durability of the Gelish.

That confession makes me feel like I've been to A.A. :eek:

P.S. Removal via foils is 15 minutes for me, once I'd tweaked my technique thanks to the lovely Gelish ladies on here. :cool:

Hi Cath. thank you for your reply that's really helpful!
Is there any info that you know of on mixing the Shellac colours?

Thank you x

I think this has already been answered now, definately look at fingernail fixers facebook page. The layering options are endless.

Last edited:
I use both, but can I add something to throw in the mix? I experimented on myself by not buffing the natural nail and my Gelish went on and lasted just the same.

Also, when I did my very first Gelish order I forgot to order pro bond. I went ahead and used it on myself. I have never had any issues in my application and durability of the Gelish.

P.S. Removal via foils is 15 minutes for me, once I'd tweaked my technique thanks to the lovely Gelish ladies on here. :cool:

Sorry to go off topic OP, but how did you tweak your removal?

As for the OP, I have both systems and use Gelish for those clients that are hard-wearing on their nails. some clients just choose Gelish for the colours I have opposed to Shellac (I don't have a full selection of colours from either collection).

For some reason I seem to be falling for Gelish over Shellac though... don't hate me ;)

And as for Shellac colours, also take a look at the Shellac group and you will see a bunch of colour combos.

If the only problem is the color selection being limited then you should do some research on it.

You clients are relying on you to tell them what's happening. They say I'm looking for a plum colour, you say no problems I will layer this with this.

I know it is a pain having to later every time you want something different but of you get to grips with it you will know what makes what.

Having said that of you think you have a market for both then go ahead. There are alot of geeks who use both successfully.

Hi,
I use both. I have a couple of clients who couldn't get on with Shellac, but for some reason they manage Gellish. Also, you can add a couple of soak off structure layers to Gellish to make it even stronger on the natural nail, still without it being a "hard" gel. This is not the same as Shellac and I make my clients aware of it.
I have found no difference between the two brands when either is 'removed' - nails are lovely underneath with both brands.
Shellac is a little quicker (use CND lamp, of course) as Gellish has slightly longer time for foundation, dark colours and top coat. I do, however, slightly favour the brushes and viscosity of the Gellish.
The fact that I offer both has not 'diluted' my branding concept at all, it has enabled me to retain the couple of clients that might have gone looking elsewhere.
Hope this helps.
JES x

Thanks for your replies guys! Seems like it might be a good idea to stock both. I might just buy a bottle of colour with the base and top coat and have a go. I do like to give clients a choice, as what's good for someone may not be good for someone else.
Where can I buy this? Nail harmony? Do I need to send off my cert?

X

Hi again,
Nail Harmony, but was with them a few years' back so can't remember now whether they had a certificate from me back then. By the way, the bottles initially cost more but there is a higher number of uses per bottle.
Good luck and best wishes.
JES x

I never buff natural nail either for Gelish and no problems....

Jo xx

Sorry to go off topic OP, but how did you tweak your removal?

There is a thread on the Gelish lovers group that I either started or was part of regarding removal. But basically I....

*Used cotton wool balls instead of pads so it moulded to the curve of the nail better.
*When placing the cotton wool I made sure I overlapped a little bit over the free edge.
*Properly soaked the cotton wool (still wet after 15 minutes).
*Made sure the heavy duty foil was shiney side to the nail.
*Heated wheat bag.
*Unwrap one at a time, no longer than 15 minutes to prevent drying out and rehardening.

Hope that helps. It literally changed the removal experience for me!

Where can I buy this? Nail harmony? Do I need to send off my cert?

X

Yep Nail Harmony and no you don't need your certificate when you sign up/pace an order.

I'm switching to Gelish after using another brand, ordered the Aurora kit today and can't wait for it to arrive, the colours look gorgeous!! :lol:

I bought the Aurora pack today as well. OMG !!! they are gorgeous !!!

Latest posts

Back