Gelish-why do you have to wipe the base coat prior to color?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

depths

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, what is the reason behind wiping the base coat with a brush after curing? I'm a CND shellac girl myself, and removed some gelish from a client today from another tech, it was a lovely glitter and I'm thinking of maybe incorporating gelish into my salon aswell so have been sussing out application etc... Also can it only be cured by LED or would my CND UV lamp work? There's no harmony training places over here in perth, west oz so have been trawling the forums for tips :)

Just out of curiosity, what is the reason behind wiping the base coat with a brush after curing? I'm a CND shellac girl myself, and removed some gelish from a client today from another tech, it was a lovely glitter and I'm thinking of maybe incorporating gelish into my salon aswell so have been sussing out application etc... Also can it only be cured by LED or would my CND UV lamp work? There's no harmony training places over here in perth, west oz so have been trawling the forums for tips :)

I can't remember from my training WHY we dry wipe but I still do it....I know some other techs don't do it though. So I'm not much help there... Your cnd uv lamp will work with it but I'm unsure of timings because I used the LED Lamp...

Sorry I'm not much help xx

You dry brush the cured base with a to take some of the stickiness away to stop shrinkage. I don't always do it though.
I used to use my CND lamp to cure gelish before I bought my 18g. 2 mins for colour coat. I'll get back to you on foundation time curing.
Xx

Same timings as cnd lamp to shellac love,

Foundation - 10 secs
Colour x 2 - 120secs each
Top it off - 120

I dry brush or wipe foundation layer, have forgot few times and don't think it made any difference to be honest! U just use tiny bit of foundation and scrub it in with brush rather than paint it on like shellac base :) xxxxxx

Yep I do same as Vonnibabes, but I cure Foundation for 60 secs in my CND UV lamp xx

Sent from my iPhone 5S using SalonGeek mobile app

Top advice already given :) you'll love Gelish :) xx

FWIW, I find that I don't have to dry-wipe Gelish if I've applied it thinly enough. As a Shellac girl, you know how important it is to get that base coat thin. It is no less true for Gelish. I find that if I don't get it thin enough, the inhibition layer is also thick and color kind of "floats" on it rather than grabbing.

Thanks for the help guys :) now I just have to pick some colors to start out with!

Just checked, foundation in a uv lamp cure time is 30 seconds
Xx

Agggghh I've been doin 10, from advice given on here lol xxxxx

On the back of my Foundation bottle it says :

LED - 10 secs
36w UV - 1 minute

xx

Sent from my iPhone 5S using SalonGeek mobile app

I use Artistic Colour Gloss which I believe is very similar to Gelish and it's 60 seconds for base (on the back of the bottle) and I use my Shellac lamp (approved by manufacturer) with no problems.

Yeah I also do 1min for foundation in a UV lamp. Always been told this.
And yes you dry brush to stop the shrinkage around the edges.
This can also happen if applied too thick though. So more thinner layers are best with thicker colours.

You'll love gelish! ❤️

Laura xx

I work at nail harmony, the sales office manager told me 30 seconds.
However When I used to use gelish with my CND lamp I think I did like 10 seconds for base 🙈 lol xx

To be fair I always get great results, will change my practice ASAP!!! It also says it's on,h a minute cure for light colours? Would that mean the glittery ones, waterworld etc?

I started off using led but now I just use my CND lamp xxxxx

I've been thinking about adding Gelish recently, I have all the CND Shellac colours and love them but would love the neons that Gelish offer instead of having to use pigments. Can I ask is it ok to follow CND PEP procedures including Cuticle Away before applying Gelish and do I have to buff the natural nail or can I just Scrub Fresh really well like I do with CND Shellac? Thanks in advance xx

Claire, for Gelish I use cuticle away, rinse with soapy water, scrubfresh, phbond (dehydrator) if needed, foundation, colour then top it off.

I no longer remove the shine/buff the nails prior to gel application and have no lifting issues.

I use CND prep products before Gelish too. I don't use ph bond as I believe this is just a dehydrater and Scrubfresh does this job.

Claire, for Gelish I use cuticle away, rinse with soapy water, scrubfresh, phbond (dehydrator) if needed, foundation, colour then top it off.

I no longer remove the shine/buff the nails prior to gel application and have no lifting issues.

Thank you for replying. Could you use CND Nail Prime as well as Scrub Fresh if further dehydration was needed? Xx

I use CND prep products before Gelish too. I don't use ph bond as I believe this is just a dehydrater and Scrubfresh does this job.

Thank you for replying this is good to know too ;) Do you remove shine off of top coat before soaking off for removal and is it 15mins still with CND Nourishing Remover or would DSolve work best? Xx

Latest posts

Back