Gelish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

celebalook

Reaction score
Hi
still haven't decided between Gelish and Shellac
can i use just an ordinary 36 watt uv lamp with gelish until i could afford the led lamp? I know i need the Cnd uv lamp especially for shellac just weighing up costs/product vairety at the moment etc
thanks
did look on the Gelish groups but couldn't find an answer to my question

If you were to buy into gelish then yes a 36watt or 4 bulb UV will be suffcient... However

If you wanted to do Shellac at some point too then you would have to purchse the CND UV lamp for that system.

If you were to purchase Shellac first with the CND lamp etc.. then it would also cure gelish.. soooo depends which way round you want to do it..

hth

Sarah x

Thanks for the advice Sarah, makes sense to purchase Shellac and lamp and combine with te Gelish

Gelish is fantastic! It cures in led and uv whereas shellac us uv only. So if you invested in shellac first then wanted to get an led lamp you would be wasting all of your shellac. But if you buy gelish and can only afford to get a uv lamp at the mo when you can afford to get your led lamp you won't have to change brands!!

Gelish is fantastic! It cures in led and uv whereas shellac us uv only. So if you invested in shellac first then wanted to get an led lamp you would be wasting all of your shellac. But if you buy gelish and can only afford to get a uv lamp at the mo when you can afford to get your led lamp you won't have to change brands!!

Why would anyone spend out to buy an LED WHEN THE 5 FINGER CURE CND LAMP will cure both brands just as fast. In fact Shellac is even quicker with its 10 second cure of the Shellac base coat. She wouldn't be wasting anything at all ... not even time. One can only paint so fast and none of the other extra steps with Shellac.

One and a half years I have been using only Shellac and no one has yet convinced me that I need or want a quicker cure than I can get with my 5 finger CND lamp. Nil advantage.

I sort of have to disagree with that point in some respects... having gelish with an led is onnly worth while to hte person using it IF the person is already a gel tech and using other LED technology gels..ie.. all of the harmony range.. then the LED is cost effective so to speak..

if you r not using a LED cured hard gel.. then investing in the shellac system with the cnd UV lamp is worthwhile as it will cure most other gels anyway ..

Sarah xx

sorry your post got there before mine geeg lol.. i was replying without quote to pinkie.. xxx

Hi
still haven't decided between Gelish and Shellac
can i use just an ordinary 36 watt uv lamp with gelish until i could afford the led lamp? I know i need the Cnd uv lamp especially for shellac just weighing up costs/product vairety at the moment etc
thanks
did look on the Gelish groups but couldn't find an answer to my question

I've been using Shellac and Gelish for over a year now and only EVER used the standard 36w v lamp with no problems whatsoever. I cure the whole hand too and that goes for all gels, and I've been doing them for 10 years with no problems. Companies will tell you you have to do this and that, sometimes they are right but in this case they are wrong.

I stick with both products because of colour choice for my clients, both give the same longevity of wear, but then I always use the gelish topcoat as IMO it is harder wearing and the shine lasts ... I'm sure many will say different, but this is my finding.

I do agree that for the gel polishes the LED seems a bit of a novelty and I'm very rarely having to wait for the lamp to go out with a two minute cure. My nails last well for clients because I don't rush, not because of the light I am using! HTH I did ponder buying it for about a nanosecond ... and then decided that spending the money on 12 new colours for my clients made far more business sense!

Last edited:
Why would anyone spend out to buy an LED WHEN THE 5 FINGER CURE CND LAMP will cure both brands just as fast. In fact Shellac is even quicker with its 10 second cure of the Shellac base coat. She wouldn't be wasting anything at all ... not even time. One can only paint so fast and none of the other extra steps with Shellac.

One and a half years I have been using only Shellac and no one has yet convinced me that I need or want a quicker cure than I can get with my 5 finger CND lamp. Nil advantage.

I actually have to agree here
I bought into the Led lamp thing for curing my Gelish, and my colleague uses the standard 36 watt lamp.
If we start a Gelish client at the same time, we still finish at the same time :eek: So because of the 4 finger then thumb cure it still takes as long to do even with a 30 second cure !! :o
As much as I love my led lamp it was a false economy getting it, and I have now purchased the CND 5 finger cure lamp, and can't wait to start using it !!! I could actually have bought 2 CND lamps for the cost of my Led....and that would have made me faster lol!!!

I also totally agree with Sassy that is is the quality of your application not the speed of your lamp that brings your clients back time after time.

Last edited:
I've been using Shellac and Gelish for over a year now and only EVER used the standard 36w v lamp with no problems whatsoever. I cure the whole hand too and that goes for all gels, and I've been doing them for 10 years with no problems. Companies will tell you you have to do this and that, sometimes they are right but in this case they are wrong.

I stick with both products because of colour choice for my clients, both give the same longevity of wear, but then I always use the gelish topcoat as IMO it is harder wearing and the shine lasts ... I'm sure many will say different, but this is my finding.

I do agree that for the gel polishes the LED seems a bit of a novelty and I'm very rarely having to wait for the lamp to go out with a two minute cure. My nails last well for clients because I don't rush, not because of the light I am using! HTH I did ponder buying it for about a nanosecond ... and then decided that spending the money on 12 new colours for my clients made far more business sense!

Do you use the standard 36 watt light with your Shellac? Is that why you don't find the top coat is as shiny?

I love both products Gelish & shellac for different reasons , I use the led for Gelish and white CND for shellac bit I have to say I find shellac top coat amazingly durable and glossy even after 3 weeks , Gelish is glossy but not "as much"

Do you use the standard 36 watt light with your Shellac? Is that why you don't find the top coat is as shiny?

I love both products Gelish & Shellac for different reasons , I use the led for Gelish and white CND for Shellac bit I have to say I find Shellac top coat amazingly durable and glossy even after 3 weeks , Gelish is glossy but not "as much"

I agree, there is no shine like the mirror shine of Shellac and it is incredibly hard wearing. If my nails are still shiny after 3 weeks with all the things I do with them then it has proved itself over and over again. :D

Well personally I would not be without my led lamp. The speed of the curing certainly does help with timing of treatments. Also an led lamp has over 50,000 hours of use. Whereas with a uv light you do hAve to change the bulbs. I find the shine of gelish is amazing and still there after 3 weeks.

I love both products Gelish & shellac for different reasons , I use the led for Gelish and white CND for shellac bit I have to say I find shellac top coat amazingly durable and glossy even after 3 weeks , Gelish is glossy but not "as much"

lol that could be it! Still I'm happy with the gelish topcoat and more importantly so are my clients and at the end of the day that's what matters to me and nothing else!

Latest posts

Back