Gels and acrylic - is there any need to learn both?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LilMissEmmylou

Reaction score
I am dipping my toes back into beauty training for salon treatments ( I currently work in management for a cosmetics store). I have just signed up for a gel course which is £275 but she advised its £399 if I want to add acrylics. Now, all I remember about acrylics from college was that I hated the smell so never did the course for them.

Do you feel gel extensions is enough in salons today or would I be worth looking to train in both for the reduced cost?

I'm a 'full service tech' (l&p, gel, and silk/fibreglass trained) and would say yes, not all products suit all clients

I think it depends what other treatments you are planning to offer. If you are just going to offer nail treatments then I think Trinity's advice is right. I'm also trained in gel, L&P and fibreglass but I don't offer L&P because I am also a beauty Therapist and even though my treatment room is separate to my nail room, I find the smell of the monomer drifts in there anyway and over powers the lovely smells of my beauty products! I don't think me not offering L&P has stopped anyone coming to me, as far as I'm aware, but I must admit one of the most common questions a potential client asks is "do you do acrylics"! But I think a lot of this is down to them thinking all extensions are acrylic and "gel" is just gel polish!

I think it depends what other treatments you are planning to offer. If you are just going to offer nail treatments then I think Trinity's advice is right. I'm also trained in gel, L&P and fibreglass but I don't offer L&P because I am also a beauty Therapist and even though my treatment room is separate to my nail room, I find the smell of the monomer drifts in there anyway and over powers the lovely smells of my beauty products! I don't think me not offering L&P has stopped anyone coming to me, as far as I'm aware, but I must admit one of the most common questions a potential client asks is "do you do acrylics"! But I think a lot of this is down to them thinking all extensions are acrylic and "gel" is just gel polish!

This is great advise, I will be offering full beauty services and I do think you are right in that explaining that you offer gel extensions is likely to put a lot of peoples mind at rest from thinking you cant offer extensions at all. Thanks so much x

This is great advise, I will be offering full beauty services and I do think you are right in that explaining that you offer gel extensions is likely to put a lot of peoples mind at rest from thinking you cant offer extensions at all. Thanks so much x
You're welcome :). Good luck x

With the introduction of polygel aka acrylgel aka polymer gel....:)

I'd focus on gels and offer polymer gel as an alternative to acrylics. The polymer gel will suit those clients who are very hard on their nails, has no odor and is easier to learn (with acrylics getting the correct mix ratio takes some time).

Then, later I'd consider adding soak-off sculpting and colour gels. This appeals to a different type of customer as can be seen by the market share of companies like Bio Sculpture and Calgel in the UK. You won't be competing with low cost high street salons.

But do your research, there are new alternatives that are hypoallergenic, only require one coat colour layer and less expensive per gram.

Latest posts

Back