Gels on enhancements - how long should they last?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emmaspeers

Reaction score
I am wondering how long gel nails should last on enhancements. Mine last about a week when I do them but I am terrible for picking at them and using them as tools (it is my right hand which I use most which start to come off first). The gel at the bottom stays on my fingers though so I think it is because of the glue weakening they come off

Are you meaning gel polish?
I have shellac over my gel enhancements and they only need redoing when I Infill them every 3 weeks.

Are you meaning gel polish?
I have shellac over my gel enhancements and they only need redoing when I Infill them every 3 weeks.
can i ask what adhesive you use please?

Adhesive as in for applying the tips?
I use Nsi polybond :)

Gel polish, or even regular polish, lasts over enhancements until they're due for an infill which for my clients is anything between 2 and 5 weeks. If your colour isn't lasting you need to look at your application.

I use the cheap adhesive for enhancements from sallys. I am wondering if this could be it? The colour is fine under the tip loosens then just pings off - but the gel is still in place until it pings off and under near the nail plate (below where the nail enhancement was) there is still gel on there solid

I think we're a little confused by what you mean, we thought you were referring to gel colour on top of an enhancement but are you actually meaning that the enhancement itself is breaking off along the free edge of the natural nail?

I think we're a little confused by what you mean, we thought you were referring to gel colour on top of an enhancement but are you actually meaning that the enhancement itself is breaking off along the free edge of the natural nail?
Im sorry let me clarify!

I mean how long do enhancements last full stop. Sorry. Mine loosen where they attach to the natural nail and then ping off, but when they 'unstick' (where the glue is) then the gel will just break obviously because they have no way of sticking to the nails. I am wondering if the adhesive is not very good? Everything else is fine but you can just feel the enhancement / tip loosening until it just weakens completely - i hope that makes more sense?

Sounds to me as is your apex is incorrect . If the stress area is not shaped properly it can break as you describe . But also by your own admission you are picking at the extensions so that in itself will weaken them and cause breaking / lifting - You are ignoring the golden rule of a nail tech here :)

Could also be incorrect curing , wrong size of tips incorrect prep or similar . Who did you do your training with ?

x

Last edited:
Sounds to me as is your apex is incorrect . If the stress area is nor shaped properly it can break as you describe . But also by your own admission you are picking at the extensions so that in itself will weaken them and cause breaking / lifting - You are ignoring the golden rule of a nail tech her :)

Could also be incorrect curing , wrong size of tips incorrect prep or similar . Who did you do your training with ?

x
I am confident that my prep is ok as I have spoken to my trainer, watched videos, read all my instructions just to make sure I have remembered properly from my training. But there is just one thing I know it I am not getting right and it is frustrating me... could it be the adhesive do you think as I just use a cheap one?

Sounds to me as is your apex is incorrect . If the stress area is nor shaped properly it can break as you describe . But also by your own admission you are picking at the extensions so that in itself will weaken them and cause breaking / lifting - You are ignoring the golden rule of a nail tech her :)

x

Also it is not just me having the problems with the nail (although mine last a shorter time lol) but my friends I have done this on are lasting maybe 10 days max (maybe with one in between needing to be repaired)

I want to start professionally as a business but if I can not get this right on friends there is no way I am going to charge

Are they gel or acrylic enhancements?
Are they only lifting and breaking where the tip is applied?
Do you thoroughly blend your tips with a file or do you apply a chemical tip blender?

Are you using a hard gel or gel polish to support your enhancements??

As Emily and Pure said .

You need to be clearer in your question/s . Are you applying a tip , blending and then putting on a 'builder' gel then applying colour ?

If you are not and are applying tips and then just putting the gel polish colour on the top THAT is where your problem lies

Why not list your steps by number here so that we can all see exactly what it is you are doing ( and include product brand names ) and then we can maybe be more specific in our help

ie
! Perep and cleanse nail
2 Apply and blend tip

and so on and so on

x

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back