Gels Vs. Acrylic

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JennGel

Reaction score
I know it is a matter of personal preference but what do you tell people when they ask what they should get? What differences do you highlight. I'm looking for a way to articulate myself here ;)

That's a really good question actually cos i always feel if i say Acrylic is stronger then i'm not being fair to Gel, which really is beautiful...

Hi

I think you really have to use your experience and when filling out your client record card ask the right questions to guide you into what system will work best for that client. It's abit like hairdressers, sometimes people come in with very fixed ideas on what they would like but you have to always remember that you are the expert and know what they need.

Lynda

Think of it as 'prescribing the correct treatment for each person sitting in your chair'! If you use all three systems you should be aware of their differences and you prescribe the correct treatment for each individual client! You will give your professional opinion on what you think would suit them best and why. Since you are the one in charge, hopefully they will respect your advice and take it.!!! If you have someone who insists on a particular system but you disagree due to the nature of their nail plates, have them sign a form that you have offered specific advice but they have declined to take it. You are then NOT responsible for possible problems down the line :!:

prescribe the correct treatment for each individual client! You will give your professional opinion on what you think would suit them best and why.

How do you prescribe? Which system suits which nails etc. ?

As a newbie, I am about to go on the FDFC in Jan so am totally ignorant at the moment so I would love to know which nails and conditions suit which system and which system you wouldn't use for which nail type etc

:? oooo errr! getting confused myself now! Hope it makes sense to you!!

Tamm

Tamm - I hope you don't mind - but I'm not going down that route with a newbie. You will learn ALL of this on your beginners course. We can only do so much on this board and as you are about to receive the best advice from a seasoned Ambassador, I suggest you wait until that time. Although we try and continue to do our best with all posts I must remind everyone that this board was started for the Professional and certified technician. Whilst every effort is made to help newbies, a full blown professional course with a proper educator / ambassador is always going to be the better and more constructive way to be taught :!: I would assume (hopefully) that the trained teks on this board have received this information already :?: :idea: You are better off (as I have said before) going in green and learning from scratch. I hope this has helped and no offense is intended in any way what-so-ever ;)

TC said:
How do you prescribe? Which system suits which nails etc. ?

Well, generally speaking, Fibreglass systems are best suited for clients with nice nails that need a little more support. Gel is best suited for clients with nice to not quite as nice natural nails that are not malformed (i.e. ski jump, hooked, bitten, etc). L&P systems are suited for just about everyone.

The reasoning behind each point is:

Fibreglass systems are single linked polymers and so they don't traditionally offer as much strength as other systems. Due to the nature of the method, it is hard to 'design' the shape to the nail as you end up only coating and covering what is already there. Of course there are obvious exceptions to the rule (Fabric# being one of them)

Gels are far stronger than resin systems but generally not as strong as L&P. Strength is not always necessary or desired in applications... sometimes more flexibility is a far better option. This is one of the areas where Gel really shines. However once again, it is significantly harder to 'build' shape into a gel application versus a L&P so it is a little more ideal for nice shapes.

L&P is all around the most versatile as you can literally sculpt the nail as you work.

Now before anyone gets their knickers in a twist, those are just general guidelines and there are always expectations to the rule.

The service you choose will depend on several factors: Your education and skill level with each system, your clients nail type, and the end result you are after.
Don't let yourself fall into the trap of only being able to perform one type of service well. There are times when you will find one type of system works more ideal on a client than another... it is all about customising to your customers needs.

As Mrs. Geek mentioned, these types of concepts can often cloud your understanding of the fundamentals that are needed in your foundation course. Make sure you walk into your foundation course as a blank slate ready to get the most out of it... and you will ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back